Is there an easy way to drive "T" posts

Help Support CattleToday:

I use the front end loader to drive T posts.

I know they make drivers for cedar posts but I sure need to see one of those things work. I can't get it my little pea brain how they work. Sometimes I can pick a 14,000 lb tractor off the ground trying to push a T post so how is it a cedar post can be pushed in? I feel pretty sure it isn't a "pile driver" and I can't see how even a vibratory driver can do a 6" cedar.

I saw a driver at an equipment auction once but it attached to the tractor with the 3-point hook-up. I still can't figure out it works. For one thing none of my tractors have down force hydraulics (the 3-point goes down by gravity) and second, none of my tractors are heavy enough even if I had the right kind of hydraulics.

If someone has pictures of a hydraulic cedar post driver in action I would sure like to see them.

Got another 4" of rain Brute.

Thanks,

I use this.http://www.rohrermfg.com/

It only takes a small air compressor. I have an air compressor and my bobcat welder on a trailer. So far I have driven about 100 posts with it. Sometimes the post bounces around a little before starting going into the ground. I am going to try sharpening them with my plasma cutter :lol:

farmerjohn":1iae58ca said:
I use this.http://www.rohrermfg.com/

It only takes a small air compressor. I have an air compressor and my bobcat welder on a trailer. So far I have driven about 100 posts with it. Sometimes the post bounces around a little before starting going into the ground. I am going to try sharpening them with my plasma cutter :lol:

If you put your fott on the top of the spade when you start driving it the post won;t bounce. I've driven thousands of posts with ours, the only problem is when it hits solid rock. One of the good things is that if you leave it long enough in one spot with will eventually crack a rock o couple of inches thick and drive through it. Just make sure that you never want to remove that post cause it's there forever.

dun

I will give that a try. I had tried pushing my toe against the spade but not actually pushing down like a shovel.

Thanks

farmerjohn":2rxiwajd said:
I will give that a try. I had tried pushing my toe against the spade but not actually pushing down like a shovel.

Thanks

Once it gets started I push on the side to turn it back to square, but I alwasy start them with my foot on the top.
One good thing about the pounder is that it's kind of a huck fin type of deal. Anyone standing around wants to do it so I don;t have to do them all.

dun

I knew about the air operated pounders,always wondered if they were worth the money ?
I guess they clamp on the post and have a pnuematic cylinder that has a piston that pounds them ?
..........good luck

HAY MAKER":24vm9zn4 said:
I knew about the air operated pounders,always wondered if they were worth the money ?
I guess they clamp on the post and have a pnuematic cylinder that has a piston that pounds them ?
..........good luck

More or less that's how they work. I can sure put a lot more posts in with it then I can with my old "arm strong" model.

dun

cattleluvr18":2gkjhszb said:
i lloovvee my loader!

You wouldn't if you had my hard ground. I have a 90 hp cab tractor with 4wheel drive and loader weighs in at around 10000 lbs. If you try to drive a post it just lifts the front end of the tractor off of the ground.

farmerjohn":1z0ialwe said:
cattleluvr18":1z0ialwe said:
i lloovvee my loader!

You wouldn't if you had my hard ground. I have a 90 hp cab tractor with 4wheel drive and loader weighs in at around 10000 lbs. If you try to drive a post it just lifts the front end of the tractor off of the ground.

We're the same way. Friend of mine in IL puts his in with a loader and was really shocked when he saw what we claim as "soil".

dont worry. its gone off the ground before. and another trouble with it is that it takes two people. sometimes i'd rather just use a driver for some of the small jobs.

We bought the $450. hydraulic driver, rigged up the air compresser on a small trailer, pulled by a 4 wheeler. Best money we ever spent. We sure bent a lot of tposts using the bucket, even welded a giant nut to the loader, just couldn't make good time and bent a lot of posts! Hard clay ground!

fourstates":2yfwqsj8 said:
Forgot the small gas generator on the trailer, too.
I 've got a gas generator / welder that I put on the trailer. Then I get this big Milwaukee "Hole Hawg" Drill with a 1-1/8" wood auger bit and go down the line drilling pilot holes. Then its only 2 or 3 licks with the "Armstrong" to set the post.The Hole Hawg is a powerful geared down drill with the chuck set at a right angle for drilling holes in studs to pre-wire a building. I bought it to do some pre-wires I got into one time. I got it at a pawn shop for $50.00. Best money I ever spent , probably. ;-)

Latest posts