Fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
Since treated posts doesn't last very long anymore I want to switch to oil field pipe. My silly question is how do I attach it to the end with out losing tension?

I pull tension with a come along. when I get it tight enough, I clip the wire to a couple T posts to get my spacing established. Then I go back to my pipe corner and start at the brace. I make a large clip out of 9 wire and clip the wire tightly to my brace post. Then I release the wire from the come along and wrap it tightly to the corner post using lineman's or fencing plyers. It might not be quite as tight between the corner and the brace posts as the rest of the fence but it works.

B2D2CA4C-5AD5-4DA5-9893-C854A6E6FE98.jpeg
I actually pulled from this corner but you can see my 9 wire clips in the picture on the brace. I bend them around just like a T post clip.

Pretty sure when Fenceman was making his videos he would pull it tight with a come along then catch the wire with a goldenrod and make it off. That way so you can pull the slack out of the short section there by hand and it stays tight when released. He would also often put his dog on so when pulled tight he would be just a foot or so short of the end post. Then you just tie off that end pulling tight by hand that last bit. When released it would still be tight. Thinking about it pretty sure thats how he did barbed wire and the goldenrod deal was more for tying off net wire one strand at a time. At least thats what I remember and how I would do it.

For net wire, another method is to stretch and join in the middle of the run. That allows you to wrap/fasten the wire to the braced posts at the ends of the stretch/run. Place two strainer boards on the net wire near the middle and pull it tightly together with the strainer boards a few feet apart. Use crimps to join the wire, release tension and remove the strainer boards.

A picture:

Cut the wire 2-3 feet past the corner post, depending on the diameter of the post. Then I just hook the end of the goldenrod around the corner post, a little lower on the post than where the wire needs to be, so you have room to wrap the wire around the post. After that stretch the wire and tie it off.

Pull it really tight since you will have a little slack in your knot, and make sure it is tied straight and won't rotate around the post, losing tension. I do the same for wood posts.

On larger posts, a loop of chain is often needed to hook the goldenrod to.

Last edited:
I usually put the come-along on the 2nd post from the corner with a strap so it is not in my way when I go to make my wrap. I'll use the fencing pliers to pull it snug around the end post. The little bit of slack for that last 10' doesn't hurt any thing. Just go an extra click or two with the come-along when you pull. I would not tie any thing off in between the ends so that when you are tied off and release the come-along, any slack is distributed through out the whole fence. That's why I say it doesn't hurt any thing.

Latest posts