Investor money found

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh come alacowman i can get a decent return on my investment. THe business plan can make money in many different ways i just need to decide on one and run with it.

A real good way to loose a friend....or sell off your business to him. Investors don't front money without wanting some tangable asset in return and usually expect that they have a steak in the operation in return.
If he is willing to invest the $$$ without creating liability on your part then go ahead but create a solid agreement that covers your butt....well worth the lawyer's fee.
The most important part of the business plan is the section that outlines the dissolution of the business...not important until needed then a binding document if properly administered.
And that's just my two bits worth...asked for or not...Dmc

Beef11":4pwxxgu9 said:
What kind of friend is this?
Long time childhood friend or work friend, neighbor friend, ect.... It makes a difference.

Then the next thing would be... Is the possible profit from this joint venture worth possibly losing that friend?
It does not have to come to that but it may and you need to know how this "friend" ranks in your book.

After that yall need to sit down and talk out exactly how this is going to be ran. Are yall going in as equal partners, is he a silent partner, is he soley and investor. Basically you got to know in the end who makes the call.
I would be weary of equal partnerships but if it is actually possible for that person to invest and let you make the final calls then it could be a good deal.

Last of all,,, after yall have figured out where every one stands,,, put it in writing. Make up basically a contract that says every thing yall have decided on. That away every thing is done according to how it was stated by both parties or there will be penalties. IF you make the calls.... he is just an investor... and he startes pushing his way in trying to make calls you want the contract to cover you so you can get out with your fair share and/ or compensation.

I guess he is a church friend, I've known him about 6 months both of us are serial entrepreneurs. He has made big bucks and wants to invest in something real and available should hard times come. Basically if hard times come he wants to come over and eat steak, if we don't have hard times he wants a decent return on investment.

I have read many times,,, and believe it to be true with my own experiences.

Never use investors who are not worth atleast 1 Million in net worth.

If he is a business man, as are you, make a good, realestic estimate of possible profit out come and the risk then go with it. It is just like any other investment deal. People who do that stuff know the routine. ;-)

Never use investors not worth 1m? Never heard that before. Why not? I have my ideas why but i would like to hear yours. I like it.

Beef11":2epklur5 said:
Never use investors not worth 1m? Never heard that before. Why not? I have my ideas why but i would like to hear yours. I like it.

I kinda have to agree. Nothing against regular folks; but you really don't want to be heavily partnered with somebody who will need to sell out if they miss two weeks of work, their wife wants to remodel the kitchen, their kid needs braces, they have a sudden urge to buy a bassboat, or they crash their pickup truck.

Yall are exactly right.

People investing their whole 401K and childrens college funds do not usually make good business partners.

People who have that net worth tend to look at things a little differently partley out of experience with other investments. They don't scare as easily with minor fluctuations. They are in it for the haul if they couldn't afford to lose what they invested they wouldn't have done it,,, along with a whole lot of other things.

There can even be a difference in people who have made their money buy building up businesses and good investing as compared to people who inherited or made their money from oil wells or some thing.

Don't mean to stereotype people put as a general rule this holds to be true. ;-)

IMO an "Investor" is an opportunist hoping to turn a profit on his/her investment. Investing in livestock is in no way a sure road to any type of profit. If an investor doesn't receive a "profit" or "dividend check" every year, then he/she becomes an emotional and financial liability on YOUR end.

A family or friend investor is even a worse option...

If the investor doesn't see a $$ return on the investment, then he/she may want to cash out his/her $$ input; and/or want to start telling you how to run your business.

IMO it is an accident waiting to happen...

President Jimmy Carter once told a story about his partnership with a fellow to get into the cattle business. It worked out that the nice healthy cattle ended up belonging to the partner, and the sick and dead ones ended up being the President's.

They did not have a written agreement.

Get it in writing, and both of you sit down with a lawyer.

One other thing I might add is,

People should NOT get into the cattle business soley to make money.

Every one here knows there are a list of alot easier and more productive ways to make money.

First and foremost the investor has to want to be in the cattle business for personal reasons. The opportunity to actually profit money a couple years down the road has to be iceing on the cake.

They should have a well diversified invesment portfolio already established and this is just another investment to add basically because they can.

People investing in cattle expecting it to be their retirement money down the road is another NO-NO when looking at possible investors.

Exactly. Bottom line is, in my mind at least, don't do it.

It sounds like the guy is looking to play his money, which means he probably doesn't really have an abundance. What's going to happen if things go south and you have to dig yourself out with more money? What's your exit strategy if it gets to that point? What amount of return is expected?

In my occupation I've met an abundance of people with money and I've yet to meet one that had money out of sheer luck (there are the exceptions sure), no person with any decent monetary capacity is stupid enough to throw money out at a venture like this with small margins, fairly risky returns, or if they are, they're not going to have much money very long - and entering into a relationship like this should be avoided either way.

Brute 23":2bbok1on said:
One other thing I might add is,

People should NOT get into the cattle business soley to make money.

Every one here knows there are a list of alot easier and more productive ways to make money.

First and foremost the investor has to want to be in the cattle business for personal reasons. The opportunity to actually profit money a couple years down the road has to be iceing on the cake.

They should have a well diversified invesment portfolio already established and this is just another investment to add basically because they can.

People investing in cattle expecting it to be their retirement money down the road is another NO-NO when looking at possible investors.

I agree with what has been said, dont take money from a friend. A couple things come to my mind:

1. What does your friend know about cattle?
~If it isnt much he may find out its not as easy of a "gold mine" as he may have thought"
2.What happens if everything goes wrong?
~It's great to think of everything good that can happen and how it can work best for both of you but if it goes sour what then?

Running Arrow Bill":l0bwr2ua said:
IMO an "Investor" is an opportunist hoping to turn a profit on his/her investment. Investing in livestock is in no way a sure road to any type of profit. If an investor doesn't receive a "profit" or "dividend check" every year, then he/she becomes an emotional and financial liability on YOUR end.

A family or friend investor is even a worse option...

If the investor doesn't see a $$ return on the investment, then he/she may want to cash out his/her $$ input; and/or want to start telling you how to run your business.

IMO it is an accident waiting to happen...

BUT don't you know this going in???? An investor is like borrowing money from a bank. He is going to have to get HIS or there is going to be problems. Whether that is a fat CHECK every six months or a growing herd (growing equity) or (preferably) both you need to be able to show an investor that you actually DID something with his money. I think there would be more investors out there in this industry if this industry were more invester friendly.

Why the negative advice? Didn't you all hear this friend goes to church?

Beef11, I grew up in your region, and I'm guessing I'm a member of your church, and I must say, it ain't no guarantee of honesty and virtue.

But, sounds like you're going to do what you're going to do. Few people change their direction based on advice given. Have to learn from experience.

Jogeephus":51zdjzxs said:
Add a person add a problem. Besides, you may already have one boss and if so I'm pretty sure she wants you to pick up some milk and eggs and a loaf of bread and don't forget to do the dishes before you go to bed. :lol:

Spoken by a well trained Hubby, and don't forget to pick up your dirty clothes.

I think that may be describing me too.
:lol: :lol:

Why the negative advice? Didn't you all hear this friend goes to church?

Beef11, I grew up in your region, and I'm guessing I'm a member of your church, and I must say, it ain't no guarantee of honesty and virtue.

But, sounds like you're going to do what you're going to do. Few people change their direction based on advice given. Have to learn from experience.

I haven't decided one way or the other. I really prefer to be as independent as possible then on the other hand the chance to slingshot your operation is tempting. It would take some real clear and favorable terms to get me into the deal.

As for church goers it is far from a qualifying attribute. I'm in the process of getting the shaft from the owner of a building i rent. A member of our? Church. He feels kind of bad about costing me lots of money... not slowing him down much. I try not to let bad experiences with members sway my decisions one way or another and you are absolutely correct about not being a guarantee of honesty and virtue.

I think you have to have a good contract if you want to minimize problems between the partners/investors. It would also help if you understood what exactly your friend is expecting from this business relationship since contracts often do not cover every contingency. Any business deal problems I've ever had could be summed up as different expectations from a set of circumstances not previously defined and/or anticipated.

Maybe start out with a short term contract to test the waters and flesh out a preliminary framework for the business relationship.

Latest posts