Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonlexe

Reaction score
Decided to buy 6 Jersey Bull calves from a dairy for 25$ a piece. Was wondering if theres absolutely any money in these. Bottle feeding now and they are going good. When would be a good time to sell them? I thought maybe once theyre done bottle feeding then sell them or feed them for 3 months then sell

Maybe three years ago when the cattle prices were high, but right now they don't bring much at the sale barns.

get them up to around 300 lbs and take them in to a saturday sale.

:Growing bottle calves will be a good experience and education for you. How do you plan to market them? The feed cost and medicines for 3 months will be more than the selling price, but you will have fun losing money. You did not give your location, most locations their is not a market for them, you can always eat them. :2cents:

Best money I made on a jersey calf was as a roping calf,training a horse,just tracking it around the arena at slow pace...it layed down and my horse stepped on its rear leg, broke it,healed it up and carried it to the stock yard..where they ran a big bull over it broke right above the last brake..they paid me for him and let me take him back home where I healed him up again and resold him to a individual....

There is good money in them if you finish them.
Jersey feeders don't bring much, but if you sell grade and yield they sell right with the colored fats.
Better yet sell halves and quarters.

One thing I don't believe anyone has mentioned: you should probably turn those Jersey bull calves into Jersey steer calves.

OwnedByTheCow":16nda3ud said:
Raise them to 6 months. Talk to a local restaurant, like one of those not chain restaurants and you will have a very tender meat. Save one for yourself too!
Problem is that many Jersey cuts are smaller than the average beef cut. This isn't first time for someone who tried selling Jersey beef to restaurants.

Like others have said fatten them up and take to slaughter house then fill your freezer and eat like a king. Ribeye and eggs is a darn good breakfast.

I get jersey bull calves from a dairy for $10 to $20 each. Put them on nurse cows and raise them up as there is too much milk replacer in them to get it back. Around here there is very little market for them except for the individuals that want one or two to raise for beef for themselves. Best time to sell is in the spring here, in the 4-600 lb size. Usually bring in the .70/lb range so a 500 lb calf is worth $350 to $400. You've got that in them.
MAKE THEM STEERS or there is next to no market for them.

Latest posts