Any money in Jersey Bull Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":4n0sfzo6 said:
dave_shelby":4n0sfzo6 said:
skyhightree1":4n0sfzo6 said:
Dave I am looking for one as well
These gals or any old Jersey heifer?

Prefer a heifer to halter break and let the kids raise it up.

That's not a bad price for the number of animals being offered. Most Jersey cows that are offered for family cows are in the 900-1200 range that I see. If I was a little further along with my ankle and knee treatments, I would be looking at them very seriously. Sell off the bulls, put the steer in the freezer if he is big enough and then milk the cows and sell a few off as family cows. I might go take a look at them anyway. I have a feeling they were someone's "cow share" deal and maybe just don't want /can't keep doing it.

I've also wondered if there is any merit to picking up 1-2 cheap dairy calves, raising them on pasture, and butchering them for burger and maybe a few of the nicer steak cuts. Got more grass than cows...

Aaron9876":22dzbewe said:
I've also wondered if there is any merit to picking up 1-2 cheap dairy calves, raising them on pasture, and butchering them for burger and maybe a few of the nicer steak cuts. Got more grass than cows...

Can't hurt

farmerjan":3dq18yfm said:
skyhightree1":3dq18yfm said:
dave_shelby":3dq18yfm said:
These gals or any old Jersey heifer?

Prefer a heifer to halter break and let the kids raise it up.

That's not a bad price for the number of animals being offered. Most Jersey cows that are offered for family cows are in the 900-1200 range that I see. If I was a little further along with my ankle and knee treatments, I would be looking at them very seriously. Sell off the bulls, put the steer in the freezer if he is big enough and then milk the cows and sell a few off as family cows. I might go take a look at them anyway. I have a feeling they were someone's "cow share" deal and maybe just don't want /can't keep doing it.

I called the fellow and he is down in Martinsville, thats a long ways. He was using them as nurse cows. If you go down let me know I would learn something from you.

Dave, Martinsville is too far for me to go when I really don't need any. I figured that they were in the H'burg direction and I have to be up that way a couple times this coming week. If I change my mind I will definitely let you know.

TB; the couple of guys that get the dairy steers and raise them up north of me do the same...take them to 800+ and then sell them. They usually have corn or some other silage to feed and many get distillers or brewers grain or something. The one is a former dairyman, and one is a mennonite. I am sure there are others raising some because they have a holstein ( and any other dairy breeds welcome) feeder sale about 4 times a year up in Harrisonburg VA and there are usually a couple hundred of all sizes there.

Aaron; if you have grass, and can buy a couple of dairy steers then yes, I would . If you are going to butcher them for yourself, then I would go Jersey, but I like the jersey beef. Fat is more yellow, some don't like it, and their meat is a little " sweeter" if that makes any sense but it is very tender and if a good sized and finished (fattened up) is marbled pretty nice. I would get something in the 6-700 lb range. If you can only get holsteins, I would go with something in the 7-800 lb size and with 4-6 months, will get up to a decent kill size. Smaller frame will put on some meat/fat quicker than larger framed for what you are talking about. They both will have good hamburger and steaks , like Rib eye, N Y strip, Filet, and sirloin will be very good to eat. You will want something that is not too fat when you get it, because if it has been on any amount of silage or grain, it will lose weight when it first goes on grass. Something that looks a little lean but not pot gutted will get on the grass and just keep on gaining. Worm them when you get them and make sure you give a blackleg shot just for cheap insurance if you give no other shots.

Latest posts