Interesting ways to sell bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I just agreed to a 10 month payment plan for one of the bulls I've been offering for sale. I'm not crazy about it but they guy really needs a bull and right now he's short on cash. I hope it works out but I've certainly been screwed before.

TennesseeTuxedo":9om9awff said:
I just agreed to a 10 month payment plan for one of the bulls I've been offering for sale. I'm not crazy about it but they guy really needs a bull and right now he's short on cash. I hope it works out but I've certainly been screwed before.

:nod:

I've been in deals like that before. It's great when they work out. Not so much when they don't.

TennesseeTuxedo":8wav7qd3 said:

What's the interest rate? I'm interested in some bred heifers.

TennesseeTuxedo":19p0eg0l said:

Good luck. That's one of those situations that could have several bad outcomes but only one good one (but I'm sure you already know that).

I see some selling of bulls with genomic enhanced EPDs. I asked one (previous) bull supplier about this and he got very defensive... Why would you not use this technology to better predict the breeding value of seed stock, and command a price premium in the market? :idea:

Rafter S":19xeea6a said:
TennesseeTuxedo":19xeea6a said:

Good luck. That's one of those situations that could have several bad outcomes but only one good one (but I'm sure you already know that).

I may wind up kicking myself but it won't be the first time I've made a bad business decision, lol.

True Grit Farms":cvjuy0ub said:
TennesseeTuxedo":cvjuy0ub said:

Zero percent just like the big car companies offer.

TennesseeTuxedo":kud0aiqz said:
True Grit Farms":kud0aiqz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":kud0aiqz said:

Zero percent just like the big car companies offer.
Yeah but a bull is quite possibly the only thing that depreciates faster than a new car. :lol: 30% when it drives of the lot versus 60% when he steps off the trailer.

Stocker Steve":2c0h9o8h said:
I see some selling of bulls with genomic enhanced EPDs. I asked one (previous) bull supplier about this and he got very defensive... Why would you not use this technology to better predict the breeding value of seed stock, and command a price premium in the market? :idea:

I can see why this bull supplier is not all hot to "embrace" this technology. In the dairy breeds, it is becoming a bit of a BS thing with the purebred breeders that both show and want LONGEVITY in their cows. There are too many of these Genomic superior bulls that are gone in less than 12 months. I don't even know how to read the new bull books when these bulls are out of VIRGIN HEIFERS whose dams have not even got a 2 lactation milk record. The figures can look great, but there is nothing like a tried and true proven record behind an animal to sell it. There are several purebred breeders that are desperately searching for some semen from older PROVEN bulls since they have bombed out on some of genomic wonders. Too many of these genomic bulls also have too many common ancesters and the breeds are getting way too much % inbreeding.

farmerjan":2prxrij8 said:
Stocker Steve":2prxrij8 said:

I can see why this bull supplier is not all hot to "embrace" this technology. In the dairy breeds, it is becoming a bit of a BS thing with the purebred breeders that both show and want LONGEVITY in their cows. There are too many of these Genomic superior bulls that are gone in less than 12 months. I don't even know how to read the new bull books when these bulls are out of VIRGIN HEIFERS whose dams have not even got a 2 lactation milk record. The figures can look great, but there is nothing like a tried and true proven record behind an animal to sell it. There are several purebred breeders that are desperately searching for some semen from older PROVEN bulls since they have bombed out on some of genomic wonders. Too many of these genomic bulls also have too many common ancesters and the breeds are getting way too much % inbreeding.
Yes! I've seen some big train wrecks from herds that chased genomics generation after generation. We figured a genomic proof to be equal to thirteen milking daughters which is a great head start but a long way from proven. Some of the better results were from herds that would breed one generation genomic young sire and one generation proven. It did show us some standouts early on and it showed us some bulls that should have been studs that were really just duds.

I just had a conversation similar to this earlier this week ... there is great logic in buying someone's proven bull they're ready to retire ... vs. buying a virgin bull out of a 1st time heifer who herself was out of a virgin heifer ...

I type this while thinking about my old cows at home (13, 15 and 21 years old, respectively), wondering if they are going to give me bulls or heifers this year ...

WalnutCrest":13vn307l said:
zirlottkim":13vn307l said:
http://cppbullsale.com/ I was at the sale Saturday. A lot of bulls didn't sell, and they were very reasonably priced. I felt bad those people that put the time and effort to raise good bulls, and didn't sell them.

Did they actually try to sell them in some sort of unique fashion (i.e., in any fashion other than a straight auction, cowboy auction or private treaty)? If so, how did they do it (I ask because it wasn't clear from what was on the site you linked to or in their catalog).

If you look at the catalog each bull had a minimum opening bid...so prob did not get the minimum bid so the owners took them home.

Watched a bull sale about 2 weeks ago and it was an all breed sale...the bulls were coming off of a gain test, seem to recall it costing $850 to put your bull in the test and some of those bulls were going for under a $1,000....I am sure they were a bit upset.

insurman":xbwh6xzt said:
Watched a bull sale about 2 weeks ago and it was an all breed sale...the bulls were coming off of a gain test, seem to recall it costing $850 to put your bull in the test and some of those bulls were going for under a $1,000....I am sure they were a bit upset.

What were they worth as burger?

Something I just discovered. I created a page on Facebook for my ranch. Displayed cattle, post pictures when they calve etc. post them for sale. Not many people see unless they actually look for my ranch or stumble upon it. There is a boost post option. Used it a couple days ago for a bull I an selling to see if it works. It lets you select the area you want to advertise, the peoples interest, gender, age, etc... so I selected Texas, people interested in cattle, brangus, angus etc.... for under $10 I have already accessed 3,000 people with my ad and had a guy contact me on purchase. Better responses then I got on craiglist. It charges you by how many people you reach. Not a bad networking tool. Sold 16 heifers for my neighbor for $24,000 for the group last week. I am sold. I am still posting craigslist but facebook is a tool of the times. Tons of people network and do business there.

BK9954":2eqchszs said:
Something I just discovered. I created a page on Facebook for my ranch. Displayed cattle, post pictures when they calve etc. post them for sale. Not many people see unless they actually look for my ranch or stumble upon it. There is a boost post option. Used it a couple days ago for a bull I an selling to see if it works. It lets you select the area you want to advertise, the peoples interest, gender, age, etc... so I selected Texas, people interested in cattle, brangus, angus etc.... for under $10 I have already accessed 3,000 people with my ad and had a guy contact me on purchase. Better responses then I got on craiglist. It charges you by how many people you reach. Not a bad networking tool. Sold 16 heifers for my neighbor for $24,000 for the group last week. I am sold. I am still posting craigslist but facebook is a tool of the times. Tons of people network and do business there.

Fantastic post!

Thank you

I created my page about a year ago. When you get people to click on your advertisement you can then invite them to follow your page. If they accept they will then get every one of your future post without any cost. Great network tool and investment. Great way to build a following. You can add buttons to your page that let them email you or call you just by clicking the button. Pretty much a free website for your business.

WalnutCrest":nnkknaam said:
...that's very easy to update, but (imo) very difficult to organize.
Takes just a minute. No paying google to be on a search engine. Access to 10's of thousands of potential customers, tons of registered and commercial ranchers. Creating a group page is a project. Making a personal ranch page is just about logging in anout 5 minutes a day unless you are getting a lot of people asking questions wanting to buy your stock. Then its exciting. Why not? Its as easy as checking the weather on the internet IMO. Face book walks you through it. Made it easy for people that are technologically challenged.

BK9954":3kmjrpe5 said:
WalnutCrest":3kmjrpe5 said:
...that's very easy to update, but (imo) very difficult to organize.
Takes just a minute. No paying google to be on a search engine. Access to 10's of thousands of potential customers, tons of registered and commercial ranchers. Creating a group page is a project. Making a personal ranch page is just about logging in anout 5 minutes a day unless you are getting a lot of people asking questions wanting to buy your stock. Then its exciting. Why not? Its as easy as checking the weather on the internet IMO. Face book walks you through it. Made it easy for people that are technologically challenged.
I think I've seen your page myself. Hobo ranch?

Latest posts