Close to $2.00 killer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a post on a beef facebook page I'm on where the guy says he took home 600 lbs of meat out of a 1385 lb steer and people are on there telling him how terrible that yield is, I told him despite what others said that 600 lbs take home was pretty good. Then some of the naysayers started in on me saying that if you could only get 40-45% yield from live weight that no one would be able to make money, so I showed them all my numbers, I generally get 60-65% of live weight in hanging weight and 65-70% of hanging in retail weight, they proceeded to tell me well he only got 43%. I couldn't make them understand basic math and reading skills, those are the kind of people that think they got screwed when they buy beef from you.

(y)

I'm still having a hard time digesting THIS!

BRED COWS - Medium and Large 1 (Per Unit / Actual Wt) Age Stage Head Wt Range Avg Wt Price Range Avg Price2-4 T1 2 1143 1143 2000.00 2000.005-8 T2 4 1123-1268 1196 2000.00-2450.00 2238.64

Pairs over 3000 again today.

They did sell some red angus bulls reasonable. They were a touch thin. All guaranteed sound. 2000 to 2500

Big bulls were down some.
1.50 to 1.60

Bulls were off $10.00 dollars this week. Still high. They were $1.60- $1,79. Not as drastic as I had heard. Still good money.

Pairs over 3000 again today.

They did sell some red angus bulls reasonable. They were a touch thin. All guaranteed sound. 2000 to 2500

Big bulls were down some.
1.50 to 1.60
I saw old, milked out Holstein cows bring $1.30-$1.40 today. 1600 lbs and up. One old cows was 1900 and change. She was 16 hds tall, and all skin and bones. .And udder, She brought $1.34. $2500 for something that might yield 500 lbs of hamburger!

I saw old, milked out Holstein cows bring $1.30-$1.40 today. 1600 lbs and up. One old cows was 1900 and change. She was 16 hds tall, and all skin and bones. .And udder, She brought $1.34. $2500 for something that might yield 500 lbs of hamburger!
They sold 3 or 4 at Enid today. I forget what they brought. Even holstein cows are high.

I tried pretty hard on 3, 7yr old thin char pairs. Started at 1800 a pr. Ended up around 2500. I was out long before that...

I saw one char bull bring 1.99lb I think it was

They sold 3 or 4 at Enid today. I forget what they brought. Even holstein cows are high.

I tried pretty hard on 3, 7yr old thin char pairs. Started at 1800 a pr. Ended up around 2500. I was out long before that...

I saw one char bull bring 1.99lb I think it was
I watched Enid for a while today. I saw several black pairs sell, and they were higher than that. In the low 3's. But those cows were in great condition. Watched one in Athens, Ga, and they run the pairs in, then sell the cow by the pound, then sell the calf by the head or by the pound...whichever they feel will bring the most. Then, they add the two prices together and that is the starting bid by the head for the pair. It is getting wild out there!

Clay and I ( but I am out of it now...let his boss take my place in the deal) contracted to buy 20 of the 60 ChiAng x Black Simm heifers the man raises each year. He picks them up at weaning in July. They were $1750 each l;ast year, but Clay paid $17754 to get to pick the 20 out f the 60 he wanted first. WHen he slod hid cows and a bull last week, he called the man and said he wanted go ahead and opder 10 more for next July. There was no paying $25 extra for 1st pic.... he had 6 left that weren't contracted for. and those are $2300 for next July! $550 higher! Clay got those 6, and when I found those red Char heifers for my neighbor this week, they were $3200. 20 month old and 3 months bred , They are registered, and homozygous for no-dilute gene and polled. And they are AI'ed with sexed semen for heifers next year, to a homo for non-dilute and polled bull. My neighbor had wanted 5 or 6 cows, but when I told him the price, of those bred heifers, he wanted just 4. The man had 7, and Clay is buying the other 3. He is going to go get all 7 this weekend.

I cant help but count up how many Corriente cows they both could have bought for the same money! :)

I took 4 cows that had lost their calves to the sale today. Nice thick Angus cow that weighed over 1,300 sold for $1.24. A rangy Hereford cow that must have slipped her calf early weighed 1,200 and sold for $1.19. The old sling bag cow who had the cleft palate calf weighed 1,150 and brought $1.00. So $1,150 which is what I paid for her. The 4 cows brought about $25 a head more than the average I paid for cows. Solid mouth cows with younger calves sold for $2,475. Solid mouth cows bred 7 & 8 months sold for $2,200. I brought home an old black cow with a 125 pound heifer calf for $1,450. That was by far the cheapest pair of the day...... what can I say I am cheap.

Sounds like ya did ok to me @Dave !

Buddy sold 2 that messed up outta his re-sell group. One was the cow that had the gimpy calf that died. The other was heavy bred but nutty and ran thru 2 fences cutting herself up pretty good upon catching. He lost a couple hundred total on those two cows. The one that really hurt him, was the one that died a month after getting her. Very little salvage value on her. Hopefully his group makes up for it Saturday. Special cow sale.

They can't all be winners. Just like they can't all be black.

Sounds like ya did ok to me @Dave !

Buddy sold 2 that messed up outta his re-sell group. One was the cow that had the gimpy calf that died. The other was heavy bred but nutty and ran thru 2 fences cutting herself up pretty good upon catching. He lost a couple hundred total on those two cows. The one that really hurt him, was the one that died a month after getting her. Very little salvage value on her. Hopefully his group makes up for it Saturday. Special cow sale.

They can't all be winners. Just like they can't all be black.
When you break even on the losers I call it a win.

Latest posts