Close to $2.00 killer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

It seems lots of bulls are near 1.80. And as i stated in another thread i seen a ruptured bull that wasnt a good killer anyway bring 1.58 Tuesday. Great time for many people to upgrade to a better bull.

We sold two bulls recently and just got 2 more. When I was getting the two new bulls he made a comment on his next group they were all going up. Better hurry.

The word is out on cattle prices. Every one will be coming for it.
Same here. Reseved 2 new ones about a month ago and called about adding a 3rd. Same breeder went up 1500..

So long, Willy! Looking forward to the replacements name. 😃
Shaft!!! Shaft's his name and Shaft's his game. Can you dig it? Okay, clearly dating myself, but Richard Roundtree, the actor who played Shaft, recently passed away. So, his name will still be a little salty, but it's legit!:ROFLMAO:

We are off some compared to the rest of you. Might be because of the distance to the big population in the east. But today cows were $1.25 to $1.30. And bulls topped at $1.54. But that is still $3,000 for a ton bull and $1,600/$1,700 for cull cow. Saw one cow weighing 2,005 sell for $1.23 this is over $2,400 (Ton cows are pretty rare here). We will catch everything on Saturday to brand. I have 3 that lost calves. I know where they will be next Thursday.

The global warming, vegans and Peta have probably got the ear of the government and they are quietly (so far) buying up as many cattle as possible to minimize methane. Printing money to do it.

I don't see how the packers can turn a profit paying that for pound cows, if anyone sees what I'm missing please enlighten me. I was going to buy some pound cows to burger out for my customers but I can't see how I can come out without charging an arm and a leg for the burger.

I don't see how the packers can turn a profit paying that for pound cows, if anyone sees what I'm missing please enlighten me. I was going to buy some pound cows to burger out for my customers but I can't see how I can come out without charging an arm and a leg for the burger.
Live weight x .67 x .67 will get your yield in meat, so a 1200# cow yields 540# burger, if she's in good flesh. At 1.50 that's $3.33 a pound in the meat. According to a google search burger is $4.77-$6.77 per pound, I don't know what it is locally because I raise my own. There's room for profit in there somewhere, especially at packer volume levels.

Live weight x .67 x .67 will get your yield in meat, so a 1200# cow yields 540# burger, if she's in good flesh. At 1.50 that's $3.33 a pound in the meat. According to a google search burger is $4.77-$6.77 per pound, I don't know what it is locally because I raise my own. There's room for profit in there somewhere, especially at packer volume levels.
Depending on processing cost. Ours is another $1/lb, some are 1,25 down here now. Profit is there but getting slimmer. My luck I'd get a .50 x.50 yield, or some major cutout from injection damage. I would also say that the 67% dressout yield is quite a bit lower once you go all ground. So, for a 1250 lb cow @1.50, if yield is 50%/50%, that's 312 lb of ground against an $1875 purchase price-$6/lb without processing thrown in. The "good flesh" cows I've seen marketed as butcher cows could still use some feed for finishing-they're heavy but also big boned, and I can just imagine the cutout for ground only. Volume for the packers makes up the cost I suppose.

Last edited:
Sure gonna make culling decisions easier.
And make you consider some you hadn't planned. Have a 4 y/o and a 5 y/o that I had planned too keep at least another year. Will likely sell both if I can find one reasonable replacement. Figure both should bring over 3 thousand. Not willing too pay more than the 2 will bring. The other option is too sell one and keep one.

A good cow will hang up 50%. So a good 1,200 pound cow will hand 600 pounds. Nearly half of the hanging weight is in bone. So that works out to 300 pounds of meat to grind. So using nice round numbers a 1,200 pound cow costing $1.25 is $1,500. $1,500 for 300 pounds of meat is $5 a pound. Have you priced hamburger in the store lately? Also the packers sell the offal. The small guys have to pay to have it hauled off.

Latest posts