Insurance problems after the hurrican

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Allstate has been a real pill to deal with after Hurricane Ike. Just curious how some of you other folks have been treated by your insurance company after the storms lately...Most folks I have talked to have had pretty good luck. Everyone that I have talked to that had Allstate has really been having a rough time...Gets my dander up 22 years of home and car insurance and not one claim... They want to patch my roof not pay for a new one..... So come on folks lets get the word out about whos backing up their policy holders!!!! ALLSTATE, THE GOOD HANDS PEOPLE ......... yea right Im getting both middle fingers

Years ago Allstate "black-listed" me because I "lied to them" when I filled out an application. They asked if I had any vehicle tickets and I said no - which I hadn't - not by a real cop anyway. However, an over-zealous green officer with campus security had written me a ticket three years prior to this of which I had paid the $50 fine. I had always thought of campus security as rent-a-cops and not really real policeman. Boy was I wrong on this assumption. Though they may look like losers and are normally fat and out of shape and would lose a footrace with a doughnut - they are actually police. Since I had one point against me, Allstate black-listed me and I could not get insurance anywhere. A State Farm agent went to bat for me and had to drive one hour to sit down with the underwriter to get this "wreckless driving" mark taken off my name otherwise I was going to have to get a high risk policy. I have been with State Farm ever since. I could save some money by using USAA but I value service over price.

I got some more fingers for Allstate if you need them.

I have never had anything but satisfaction with Allstate. Fast and friendly. I am sorry you are having difficulties. I really like my agent and have had the same one since 1986.

I knew that campus police were considered as real police. I didn't know that if you got a ticket with them that it counted against your driving record.

I have allstate too, in the late 80's I had a accident, no fault of mine, the jerk rear ended me when I was sitting waiting to turn into a gas station, totalled my pickup, and sent me out on a backboard. I had whiplash, only, but Allstate treated me poorly. It took one of my friends to call the morons and be real precise but assertive for them to issue me a car rental, and get the process started to replace my vehicle. When we did find a vehicle we liked, it took forever to get a check for the other to buy the next one. To some extent I think with insurance companies nowadays, they are all hurting for money. The Natural disasters over the years, have drained them. Its sad that we have to pay all those premiums, and then have to jump thru hoops to get what we paid for all those years.

I still have Allstate, have had them for over 20 years, I figure if I switched, my rates would go up, and both of us have perfect driving records, no tickets, etc...so it wouldn't be worth it. We just hope we never have to use the insurance we purchase.

GMN

We've had AAA since 1982 both in CA and here. Couldn;t be more satisfied with them.

I had to use Southern Farm Bureau on my last house and they really were a rip off. It was the agent moreso than the insurance itself. I always had my homeowner's rolled into the mortgage payment and held in escrow. When I started renting out the house, I started gettin insurance bills. It took three dam months to convince that moron that I had already paid the bill and that I did not really care to pay twice.

A lot of the insurers were very very slow paying off following Katrina and the other recent hurricanes. I think they know from experience that frivolous or fraudulent claims will just go away and folks with cash will just fix it themselves and forget about it. In both scenarios they make money.

Down in this area Allstate has always had a bad name for customer service in spite of the "good hands" advertisements. Good rule of thumb use to be "never deal with a mutual insurance company...always use a stock company".

Brandonm22":3lcsmowc said:
A lot of the insurers were very very slow paying off following Katrina and the other recent hurricanes. I think they know from experience that frivolous or fraudulent claims will just go away and folks with cash will just fix it themselves and forget about it. In both scenarios they make money.

My husband had to go to Lake Charles several times on business. Two years after Rita, a lot of folks had tarps on their roofs and new cars in the driveway. So, where do you thing they spend the insurance money?

When I had to have the roof replaced, I use an Allstate contractor and I never saw the check at all. It worked for me. I didn't have to mess with contractors, getting bids and all that. Same thing with the car. I just take it to their guy and it gets fixed.

I had to get a new roof with Farm Bureau and I had to have proof that I spent the money on the roof. They wanted something from the contractor and I think someone came out and inspected it when the work was done.

It pi$$ed me off that they would not pay for broken pipes because of the whole black mold thing. What is insurance for if not to pay for stuff that gets damaged. I guess people are just making too many fake claims. It's a shame when an honest person can't get things fixed when they need it.

My sister just told me that her insurance company FINALLY agreed they need a new roof on their house after Ike went through. She is totally stressed out about the insurance company! And she is a Lawyer!!!!!!!!!

Lammie":2n3wkjlo said:
My husband had to go to Lake Charles several times on business. Two years after Rita, a lot of folks had tarps on their roofs and new cars in the driveway. So, where do you thing they spend the insurance money?

Maybe because their car insurance doesn't differentiate between "wind driven rain" and flooding

Lammie":2n3wkjlo said:
When I had to have the roof replaced, I use an Allstate contractor and I never saw the check at all. It worked for me. I didn't have to mess with contractors, getting bids and all that. Same thing with the car. I just take it to their guy and it gets fixed.

Highest quality to the lowest bidder. No way I want some lowlife fixing my stuff just because he was the cheapest. Allstate is gonna pick the one with the cheapest price, no matter how he gets there, not based on quality.

Horticattleman":3ugnhjwz said:
Lammie":3ugnhjwz said:

Maybe because their car insurance doesn't differentiate between "wind driven rain" and flooding

Lammie":3ugnhjwz said:

Highest quality to the lowest bidder. No way I want some lowlife fixing my stuff just because he was the cheapest. Allstate is gonna pick the one with the cheapest price, no matter how he gets there, not based on quality.

I just didn't have time to shop around for contractors back then. I was eight months pregnant. I didn't really want to wait for months with a leaky roof for the local guys to get started. Besides, they all subcontract with the low lifes at times like that anyway. My husband, (current) will put together roofing crews after storms around here. It isn't something he does all the time. It is supply and demand. He's local and folks know him. He just hires some Meskins from the plant to work on their days off.

Latest posts