Health insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it is a nationwide problem. At our district everyone that drives has another job at the district with the exception of one person who is a retired truck driver making extra income. I drive everyday, I'm the maintenance and facilities director, my grounds keeper drives everyday, the transportation director or his assistant (mechanic) drives everyday as well as our superintendent. There's only one teacher that drives a route, one coach and a couple of teacher's assistants. Used to be most of our drivers were self employed people wanting the insurance, not as many full time farmers in the area anymore.
Use to around here you went took the bus driving test with help, drove the bus around the courthouse and you had a bus drivers' licenses. My son got his and he was about half the summer in class and 18 trips driving or observing to get his bus driver's license. This has helped cause a shortage, but probably weeds out some bad apples.

Last edited:
I put up for years with some very delinquent juveniles and some staff that had more baggage and problems than them. The insurance at the end was one thing that kelp me going along with having thick skin, taking the high road, doing the right thing and putting in many hours plus on call 24/7/365. They even voted me staff of the year a couple times.
Did you work in maintenance or the bus garage?

Use to around here you went took the bus driving test with help, drove the bus around the courthouse and you had a bus drivers' licenses. My son got his and he was about half the summer in class and 18 trips driving or observing to get his bus driver's license. This has helped cause a shortage, but probably weeds out some bad apples.
Yes' it's made it more difficult to get drivers but the school helps them get it. Problem we have with some is they complete the training we help them with then leave for a better job.

My first job was a school bus driver. Sixteen to 18 year old students driving other students to/from school. That is how South Carolina did it back then. Pay was originally $30/month. Then changed to $1.60/hour. No insurance or benefits. Busses were speed governed to 35 mph. People were better behaved then, but not much a 16 y/o can do to maintain control if there were issues. Good thing is there was no shortage of drivers. All changed later to "adults" for drivers. Big shortage of drivers now. I think most don't want to put up with the abuse of the kids and the parents. Only takes a few bad actors to mess things up for everyone. Lots of parallels on a few causing problems for many throughout society today.

Now buses have cameras, the drivers have department provided cell phones. If there is a problem, they are to return to the school with the problem kid which is off the bus for the parent to come get. If the problem is bad enough, they are not allowed to ride again unless let back on latter. It is not that uncommon for the driver to return to school.

Last edited:
My first job was a school bus driver. Sixteen to 18 year old students driving other students to/from school. That is how South Carolina did it back then. Pay was originally $30/month. Then changed to $1.60/hour. No insurance or benefits. Busses were speed governed to 35 mph. People were better behaved then, but not much a 16 y/o can do to maintain control if there were issues. Good thing is there was no shortage of drivers. All changed later to "adults" for drivers. Big shortage of drivers now. I think most don't want to put up with the abuse of the kids and the parents. Only takes a few bad actors to mess things up for everyone. Lots of parallels on a few causing problems for many throughout society today.
I've heard a lot of stories from older people talking about driving the bus their senior year, I look at our seniors and can't imagine that. Different times, less traffic and mamas and daddies that would bust their butts.
The district I work at still has pretty good kids for today's standards. The kids on my bus respect me and like me for the most part so I don't have any problems. I am also cordial to them and try not to be cranky, I also see where they live and what they come from and feel sorry for some. They've been dealt a rough hand and they will really have to work at not falling into the patterns of their families.
My wife is the 5th-8th grade counselor, oh the stories she could tell. She and I were talking yesterday about the change in kids over the years and what has contributed to it. Many kids are led to believe the world literally
revolves around them while there are others no one cares about at all. I believe year round travel sports has contributed some to the world revolves around me movement amongst many other things. We got to thinking about the people our age who have raised brats as opposed to resilient kids that are going to make it in life and one pattern we noticed was that many of us that have raised good kids, we spent alot of time with our grandparents and learned older ways. There's no science to that, just an observation.

Now all buses have cameras, the drivers have department provided cell phones. If there is a problem, they are to return to the school with the problem kid which is off the bus for the parent to come get. If the problem is bad enough, they are not allowed to ride again unless let back on latter. It is not that uncommon for the driver to return to school.
Our buses have cameras and a private channel cb radio, no cellphones. If a kid is wrote up a certain number of times they can be suspended from the bus. We have had a few fights over the years on the bus but it's rare. Very few problems with the kids we have on the buses really, usually just minor infractions.

Zionhealthshare.org. Very reason, me and the Mrs pay $350 per month. Liberty might good as well someone said earlier

GA Farm Bureau sells coverage

I start on Medicare in one week. It does not get much cheaper. What with paying for part B and the supplements, I am paying almost as much as I was when I was on my wife's insurance. I had to go the Cobra route when she retired, but Medicare is mandatory at 65.
Medicare is not mandatory at 65, you can still be on a private employer's plan

GA Farm Bureau sells coverage

I start on Medicare in one week. It does not get much cheaper. What with paying for part B and the supplements, I am paying almost as much as I was when I was on my wife's insurance. I had to go the Cobra route when she retired, but Medicare is mandatory at 65.
You should look at a Med Adv plan next year. Most have Part D coverage and are zero premium. You just still have to pay for Part B

I think it is a nationwide problem. At our district everyone that drives has another job at the district with the exception of one person who is a retired truck driver making extra income. I drive everyday, I'm the maintenance and facilities director, my grounds keeper drives everyday, the transportation director or his assistant (mechanic) drives everyday as well as our superintendent. There's only one teacher that drives a route, one coach and a couple of teacher's assistants. Used to be most of our drivers were self employed people wanting the insurance, not as many full time farmers in the area anymore.
My twin brother (Ron York) ran the bus shop at Sheridan School District, Sheridan Arkansas for over 20 years up until 2017 when he passed away. You may have met him at one of the annual state maintenance/safety conferences. I know every year, he swore he wasn't going to go the next year but he always did. He too, drove a bus most every morning and evening.

Medicare is not mandatory at 65, you can still be on a private employer's plan
True. But enrolling at 66+ is a nightmare. We were still covered by another insurance (group) policy when Mr TC turned 65 but we waited for him to enroll in Medicare, primarily because of my coverage under the aforementioned policy. After 65, you don't just sign up. You have to provide a gazillion copies of why you're no longer insured/why the previous insurance is no longer available, etc.

Latest posts