Injured pet steer

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeerefarmgirl

Reaction score
Hi, I found this website awhile ago, but I'm new to these message boards. I have a question I HOPE someone can help me with. I have a 10 year old pet Holstein steer that had an injured back leg this spring. I had the vet out and it seemed sprained. So I seperated him from the cattle and put him on bute. He responded well and I no longer needed the bute. Then 2 days ago, there was a mixup and he ended up in the pasture with our 3 year old bull before I could put him in a seperate pasture. WELL..the bull went after him from behind and now he has a hard time walking! (Probably what happened in spring!) He doesn't like to put weight on the foot. I feel absolutely sick! Shouldn't have happened. My question is, how can you tell if the leg is sprained, injured or broken? May sound like a dumb question, but I've never had a cow or bull with a broken leg? Can they even stand? I just picked up some more bute from the vet today. If anyone has any help or advice, my steer and I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

johndeerefarmgirl":3pj6piwz said:
Hi, I found this website awhile ago, but I'm new to these message boards. I have a question I HOPE someone can help me with. I have a 10 year old pet Holstein steer that had an injured back leg this spring. I had the vet out and it seemed sprained. So I seperated him from the cattle and put him on bute. He responded well and I no longer needed the bute. Then 2 days ago, there was a mixup and he ended up in the pasture with our 3 year old bull before I could put him in a seperate pasture. WELL..the bull went after him from behind and now he has a hard time walking! (Probably what happened in spring!) He doesn't like to put weight on the foot. I feel absolutely sick! Shouldn't have happened. My question is, how can you tell if the leg is sprained, injured or broken? May sound like a dumb question, but I've never had a cow or bull with a broken leg? Can they even stand? I just picked up some more bute from the vet today. If anyone has any help or advice, my steer and I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Before I offer any advice on what to do may I ask why do you have a 10 year old holstien steer for a pet? Now that I have that out of the way may I suggest selling said pet and get a smaller canine type pet. Cheaper all the way around.

somn":qrackeam said:
johndeerefarmgirl":qrackeam said:
Before I offer any advice on what to do may I ask why do you have a 10 year old holstien steer for a pet? Now that I have that out of the way may I suggest selling said pet and get a smaller canine type pet. Cheaper all the way around.

Exactly what I was thinking!! What kind of people have 10 year old holstien steers for pets?? :shock: :shock:
We dont keep steers for longer than we have to, who would want one for a pet? To each is there own I supose.

Katy

Katy

Hard to say if it's broken or sprained, if it's broken seems there would be lot of swelling. Sorry to say this but, sounds like your pet has seen his better days. Sounds like old age maybe has set in. :(

I just cringed when I saw you used the "p" word in your topic title. Some advice ~ I don't care if your cattle sleep on the floor at your feet, eat at your table and ride in your truck, don't confess here to having ANY emotional attachment to them. That being said, try the bute. It may work, it may not. mnmtranching might be right ~ if so, you have my sympathy.[/b]

A cow/steer can put some weight on a broken leg if the break isn't too bad. Remember that cattle do not feel pain like we do. If you are not sure what it is phone a vet and have him come out for a look. I would give more than Bute. Banamine is probably in order to reduce the swelling. If it is badly broken he should be euthanized. So in other words my opinion is have your vet come look at him. If you don't for some reason, grab banamine get the swelling down and then you can have a feel of the leg. A sprain will heal faster. Often a break makes a noise while they walk as well.
If you want a steer as a pet that is your perogative.

Thanks to those you offered me advice on my situation and to those you only had to offer their opinion on my choice of a pet, I'm very disappointed. For your information, I never chose him as a pet, if was more like he chose me. Ten years ago we had a cow lose a calf, so we found one at our neighbors dairy farm. I ended up bottle feeding it and over time we became very attached. He broke out of the pasture one time, not to check out the grass on the other side of the fence, but to come home. I was working at the computer when I seen my holstein come up to the office window. So YES, he means a great deal to me and it's so sad that when I'm in need of an answer to help me in this situation, all some people care about is belittling my choice of a pet!!! Some of us just have more compassion in the world than others.

JDfarmgirl,

Isn't nice to come to a place and ask for some honest advice, only to be criticized for your choice of pets.... got to love it sometimes. I think most cattle people have a cow or bull or steer the we like a little more than the others for some reason. While I agree that a bull can never be a pet, I know many of the milk cow that was.

Now to your question, I agree the being 10 he may be feeling his age a little more. May be time for a visist from the Vet again, and you two can work out your pets options.

We have a cow we consider a pet. We bottle fed her and she was with people the first couple of years of her life before she was ever around any other cattle. Now that she is seven and yes she is out in the pasture with the herd but she still prefers people to other cows. We will keep her until she dies of old age. We understand when you say pet because some of them mean alot to us. I don't know why anyone would critize you for having a steer as a pet.

We have a neighbor that had a huge crossbred steer. His wife wouldn't let him sell it. He was a pretty thing in the pasture. Alot of us have a tender spot for our animals and there is always one or two that are special. I have an old cow that will let you pet on her and she will lick you. We are very cautious around her and respect her when she has a new baby, but she will be here till she dies-and I hope she does us the favor of passing in her sleep one day so we don't have to make a decision. Best of luck to you and your steer-talk to your vet. We had a young bull once that went lame and we took him into the vet for an xray. The leg had broke but had started to heal. It healed up fine-was a little crooked but didn't hamper him in anyway. Good luck.

If you object to the "P" word, here is your opportunity to cring!

That said, STEERS are the best pets. You can teach them to ride, drive, and do tricks. Smarter than horses and easy to train and cheaper to keep. They are not flighty and come when called. They are affectionate and gentle. They won't shed hair on your couch and won't bite your neighbor. You'll never have to wonder if your AI cows are in heat, he'll tell you so! IF you are smart and train them, they'll earn money for you in photo shoots, at parties, even store grand openings. And they do not sell over the scales for a dollar a pound! In the commercial cattle industry where the profit margin is often pennies and at least one spouse works off the ranching operation, Texas Longhorns Riding steers expand the bovine market into an entire new realm-the horse industry. They go for the same price as a well bred, well broke registered horse and worth every penny of it. People who have them love them and rightly so! and in turn these wonderful pet steers live a long and happy life.

You may not have heard of the Texas Longhorn bull, Zhivago. He is a very well know and a very successful sire well represented in the pedigrees of countless champions. And super sweet and still petted and loved at age 20. He is also very well broke to ride. Used extensively in parades and business promotions. Courtesy of Daryl Dickinson, we have pics of them calf roping off this sweet wonderful BULL on our website. Check it out at
http://www.premierlonghorns.com/RIDINGLONGHORNS.html
Of course, not all bulls are like this one but then they all can't be Texas Longhorns, either!
Yes, it is perfectly okay to think outside the box, if you want to have a satisfying relationship with an intelligent unique large animal as your pet. It's just that if people started to think of cattle as anything but "what's for dinner", it may start to tug on your heart strings because they really do make wonderful pets-In spite of what the professional bull riding assn would have us think!

[/img]

Are they smooth? Can they run as fast as a horse? Can you chase cows down on it? Do you need a special saddle or could you us a western saddle like you use on horses, i saw them wearing english and western saddles.

Katy

Yes, a cow can run as fast as a horse. Even calves can keep pace with a roping horse in a rodeo event. Yes, you can ride a broke steer to herd your cows more efficiently and quietly. They can certainly earn their keep. They move differently than a horse and you get used that. You won't see any riding steers at a grand prix level dressage event but they've been shown under an english saddle in jumping classes and in western pleasure classes in open horse shows were permitted and of course, they've been pulling wagons since time began. There are trail riding clubs that get together for trail rides but then you can ride your steer anytime on trail with friends who only have a horse to ride. There are differences from a horse, of course, certain things to get used to, no withers and they have loose skin so you need a saddle that has a wide tree. But, all in all, training a steer can bring you a great deal of lasting joy and satisfaction. You just have to start when they are very young, even imprinting at birth. They respond to kindness and patience and learn quickly. You do get attached to them and it is especially hard to give one up that you have developed a repoire and relationship with. However, if you've got Holstein or Hereford calves, they do very well, too! So, instead of a Golden Retriever, don't be afraid to expand your horizons and consider a PET STEER!!

Well I'll admit it. And most of the old timers from the Boards know that I have a pet steer myself. So THERE. He's made me a LOT of $$ in the real estate business!

Having said that.. if you've got a horse vet anywhere near that has a portable x-ray machine, I would give him a call. Where you weren't there to witness what happened, there's no telling how badly injured he is. If it's a re-injury to what he'd hurt before, he may have to be sustained on Bute when he needs it.

Canadian_Cowgirl":1vhrg5oi said:
Are they smooth? Can they run as fast as a horse? Can you chase cows down on it? Do you need a special saddle or could you us a western saddle like you use on horses, i saw them wearing english and western saddles.

Katy

We are talking about a bottle fed calf, who is now 10. Why compare it to a horse that you can rope off of? None of my cows or bull is a pet but why not have a cow that you like a little better and can scratch its back? I don't see the problem except real cattlemen (cattlepeople) can't live with it. How many time has "Ol Belle" been lead to the barn and had the youngster set on her back while she was milked.

Just back off of the pet thing with this 10 year old bottle raised steer.

Oh, and I have seen a few saddles on cattle at the rodeos.

I'm not saying people should start making pets out of their steers, but this person has had this pet for 10 years, I thinks she knows the risks by now.

Alan

TNMasterBeefProducer":1k3q2qzc said:
Yeah right premier longhorns. GO for a well bred horse. LOL! thats funny. I can just see you out there in an arena trying to cut cattle on a long horn steer. Give me a break do you really think people are that naive? I can see someone cutting cattle on a high brow cat offspring horse and it selling good but I dont see a steer selling for what one of High Brow Cat's off spring sales for especially since you aint cutting cattle or raining with em.

It's not a cutting horse, it's a 10 year old bottle raised steer.

Alan

Alan, i believe we were talking about those longhorns that priemer longhorns was talking about, not the 10yr steer. I admit theres nothing wrong with having pet cows.... i was just taught at a young age to not get attached to male animals because when they are big enough they will go to market. bottle babies or not... they will still go!!

I like all my cattle. Not all my cattle like me. The ones who do, who come for treats and like their belly scratched are the ones that keep me going when we are feeding hay in July.
JDFG ~ how's he doing? Is the bute working?

Canadian_Cowgirl":3s5ffbhv said:
Alan, i believe we were talking about those longhorns that priemer longhorns was talking about, not the 10yr steer. I admit theres nothing wrong with having pet cows.... i was just taught at a young age to not get attached to male animals because when they are big enough they will go to market. bottle babies or not... they will still go!!

I have no pet cattle they all are cullable, but if someone has a pet steer they raised from a bottle for 10 years, I don't see the problem. If someone ask me what I think about it while they have a bottle calf, I would advise against it, but this is not that case.

Alan

Latest posts