Steer stuffer worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I've always bucket fed my butcher steers. I see guys on Facebook etc talk about steer stuffers. I can see the appeal to less labor but not sure it's worth it. Never used one.
Currently I hand feed all they'll eat of commodity mix and limit them to 10-15lbs of hay a day.

I realize Facebook brings out a lot of idiots but I can see some appeal, would it benefit daily gains to provide free choice hay and feed 24/7?

I've always bucket fed my butcher steers. I see guys on Facebook etc talk about steer stuffers. I can see the appeal to less labor but not sure it's worth it. Never used one.
Currently I hand feed all they'll eat of commodity mix and limit them to 10-15lbs of hay a day.

I realize Facebook brings out a lot of idiots but I can see some appeal, would it benefit daily gains to provide free choice hay and feed 24/7?
I wonder too. My stuffer is currently sitting over in the weeds. I almost sold it recently. Need to get it sitting under a roof.

What kind of gain are you getting now and what would they gain with more feed? And how much more feed would they eat?

I parked mine after a steers gut got messed up. Haven't had that problem since I've been using buckets.

I'd considered putting my stuffer in a pen and allowing them so much time to eat from it a couple times a day. Then running them out. Be less work but not sure how accurate things would be.

Are these gravity fed steer stuffers or automatic feeders that dispense periodically during the day? I grew up using gravity fed home built models but they were really only used the last 3-5 months of fattening. We used them with ground ear corn which adds quite a lot of roughage to the ration (cobs/husks) and reduces acidosis issues. I have been looking at automatic feeders recently.
We feed using buckets on a set schedule and fats have 24/7 access to silage/hay/cornstalks.
If you are concerned about daily gains I'd say the simplest solution is to look at improving your cattle's genetics. All of my fats are on the same ration -- but I have hard data that shows how much better some genetic lines are over others -- particularly the last 3-4 months of full feed ration.

LOL - I didn't know what a "stuffer" was. I kinda figured it was a self-feeder.
All depends on how much you want to PUSH your cattle. I PUSH my steers. I only have a paddock to separate feeder steers during the summer. So, I only feed out my September-October fall born steers. They MUST be finished by October (so they are either 12 or 13 months old). They will hang at least a 750# HCW, grading Choice.
Now, as Stickney said - genetics make a huge difference. Mine are PB Simmentals. I breed for breeding stock not carcasses (I NEVER look at marbling/carcass EPD's) - but my steers fit the bill.
I do NOT believe in giving them a bunch of bagged/processes filler. They have access to a small grass (some swamp) paddock and free choice dry hay 24/7. I feed WHOLE shell corn. Start off at 1% of BW daily, slowing increase each week until they are on full feed of corn fed twice a day.
If you feed ground cob corn (great feed), you will NOT get the growth. Many on here know my WSC diet. Many have converted!
WSC is about 8% less efficient as ALL processed corn - flake, rolled, cracked, steam, etc. But, WSC should cost less than an 8% difference - AND - it is healthier. If you have any "fines" (powder) in your feed, you can get accidosis. And young calves LIKE large whole grain/pellets vs powdered ground up feed.
I feed out only maybe 3-6 each year. I wean them "soon". LOL I have already started them on WSC in a creep feeder in their winter shed, so they won't be very stressed at weaning. Should stay right on feed.

I wonder too. My stuffer is currently sitting over in the weeds. I almost sold it recently. Need to get it sitting under a roof.

What kind of gain are you getting now and what would they gain with more feed? And how much more feed would they eat?

I parked mine after a steers gut got messed up. Haven't had that problem since I've been using buckets.

I'd considered putting my stuffer in a pen and allowing them so much time to eat from it a couple times a day. Then running them out. Be less work but not sure how accurate things would be.
A big difference in needing to use yours is whether you are feeding to sell beef or selling on the stockyard. They can get too fat for the stockyard. Especially if they are still sucking also.
With the clover you have been showing i wouldn't feed anything now. Let them eat cheap.

Mine are commercial cows using simangus bulls. I agree with genetics. I can't honestly say I know the daily gains, I don't have scales, although it's on the list of things to do/buy. Putting steers in or out seems like just as much work as hand feeding.
I was talking about a gravity flow feeder, not timer feeder. Timer feeders I've seen are expensive.
Mostly just curious, growing up we used self feeders for hogs on feeding floors but show steers were all we ever finished out. Dad was an Ag teacher so it was all hand feeding.

When you say Steer Stuffer this is what comes to mind Snidely steer stuffer .
As far as a self feeder goes they're a Cadillac.

Your gains should increase and you intake may actually decrease a little as they top out.

There are lots of good ideas and plans available to build or repurpose something to make a self feeder fairly reasonable.

Latest posts