Steer hemorrhoid.

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
So I have a steer I'm feeding out that has seemed to of developed what looks like a hemorrhoid or something else. He is over 1200 lbs and fat as a tick. He is scheduled to be processed Jan 26. Is there possibly a problem I could have with it? Stool is about creamy peanut butter consistency so he shouldn't be pushing hard. Unfortunately he is a pic of his turd cutter. IMG_6945.jpeg

This was a common, though dreaded, occurrence in fat ewe show lambs back when my girls used to show them.
I would not think it should be a big problem for your steer.
The ewe lambs built up a lot of internal fat and if they developed a barn cough it made it a real problem. It did look bad in the show ring. It was made worse by certain genetic lines and a too close docking of the tail.
We treated some with a short piece of plastic pipe and a rubber band, but usually just sent them to slaughter where it was not a major problem since that part is rarely eaten anyway.
I have seen it in heavy bred cows and it usually goes back in after they calve.

Does he tend to ride the other steers? A prolapse like that will happen from riding also - but usually goes back in after a little while.
He doesn't ride the other steers. The lot they are in is near where I work cattle and they do get excited when I do that. I weaned some calves last week and that's about the same time I noticed it. Maybe him jumping and bucking was enough strain to do it to him. I usually just see him laying around or up eating.