Injured pet steer

Help Support CattleToday:

if someone has a pet steer they raised from a bottle for 10 years, I don't see the problem. If someone ask me what I think about it while they have a bottle calf, I would advise against it, but this is not that case.

Alan

Exactly

I understand the criticism when someone hops on these boards and wants a 'pet cow' for their backyard. But JDFG has a herd of cattle - this is a totally different scenario. Why shouldnt she have a pet steer - she has other cattle and is obviously used to handling cattle and knows the risks.

We had a pet limmy steer for a while. We took him to a hoof n hook competiton when he was 12 months, but he got crook there so we brought him home. Took him again a year later but now he was over the maximum weight limit. So he came home and became a bit of a pet. We took him to lots of the little shows for the kids to use in the handlers classes. Unfortunately he went in the last couple of tough years.

I also have a pet wether along with my angoras, who lives in the backyard, and a wether with the boers that is trained to harness.

A friend has a tigerstripe steer that is broke to ride, she brings in the cattle on him. He's remarkable comfortable, and more sensible than a lot of horses I've been on. She's also got a nubian wether that rounds the cattle up - now that is a funny thing to watch! :lol:

johndeerefarmgirl":1bgm28fo said:
Thanks to those you offered me advice on my situation and to those you only had to offer their opinion on my choice of a pet, I'm very disappointed. For your information, I never chose him as a pet, if was more like he chose me. Ten years ago we had a cow lose a calf, so we found one at our neighbors dairy farm. I ended up bottle feeding it and over time we became very attached. He broke out of the pasture one time, not to check out the grass on the other side of the fence, but to come home. I was working at the computer when I seen my holstein come up to the office window. So YES, he means a great deal to me and it's so sad that when I'm in need of an answer to help me in this situation, all some people care about is belittling my choice of a pet!!! Some of us just have more compassion in the world than others.

Sounds like an orphan heifer calf I had - Angel. She was something special. She loved spending time with me and so I decided to train her how to ride. She was pretty good moved by voice and knee commands. Unfortunately didn't last long, had congestive heart failure. Had the vet out to look at her and got the bad news.
Sorry, my first response was rushed, I read your post and then my husband came back with the post pounder so I had to run. Hope it made some sort of sense. My other question that I didn't get to ask was are you sure it is a sprain and not an infection? Let us know how he's doing.

For years we had a cow my sisters and I raised on a bottle - she was very much a pet - even in later years when she was raising her own calves - she'd come when you called her - when we'd go to bring them out of the mountians you could just call her and whistle, and pretty soon if she was within earshot - she'd moo and head your way - she was pretty good at getting the others to follow her too! She was still on the place when my husb and I took over and he used to love it that she'd come to her name! she was always gentle and loved a good scratch with a curry comb up until the day she died - she had her last calf at 21, and we had the vet euthanize her the next winter - she's buried down in the willows by the creek - so even some of us commercial ranchers still have a little girls heart for a special one! Just keep in mind that any big animal can be dangerous and you have to be cautious around them! I wouldn't want a whole herd of "pet" cows but once in a while there are special ones.

Latest posts