In proving my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm":84p1i5st said:
Olivia
I would love for you to share pictures of Alice with us here. Hopefully, some of the adults on the forum can act nicely when you do.
One of my very first foster calves is named Alice, and she grew up to be a good sized girl. She is (we think) brangus/holstein cross. She will be a lifelong resident here, she is a big sweetheart.
So do you actually live in GREENLAND? That sounds awesome if you do.
No live close to the town of Greenland but not in it.

There have been lots of good advice on here. It is important to do your homework. Look at the livestock production in your area, what seems to be the most popular? Also, what breed of bulls are being used in the herds around you?

If the goal is to sell breeding stock (bulls and females) then you will need to figure out if you want to concentrate on a single breed, or a Composite that is made of certain breed combinations.

Composite beef cattle can be bred to fit many different environments and requirements. The formation of a Composite breed, based on a multi-breed foundation, is becoming more attractive and offers an alternative to traditional crossbreeding. Composite breeds are created by crossing of two or more breeds in certain percentages of each breed, and once a breed composition is formed, can be managed as a straight-bred, in a one-pasture system with none of the problems associated with small herd size or fluctuation in breed composition. People were concerned about using composite bulls because they wanted all their calves black-hided, but we can get homozygous black, homozygous polled composite bulls, and things like color and horns are no longer a concern.

As for registering animals, we have 2 registries, Composite Beef Cattle Registry,http://www.compositebeef.com and Composite Dairy Cattle Registry, http://www.dairycattleregistry.com.

OwnedByTheCow":1tcfayl0 said:
Every time I try to post a picture it says that It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
You get that message when the image can;t be found by the server

[img][/img]
IMG_20140611_174212_zps0a6266f9.jpg
[/url][/img]
spring2014003_zps7e62c13c.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_20140611_174347_zps79bbfa02.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_20140611_174327_zps63066d70.jpg
[/url][/img]

John Baker":2w4ytwbq said:
Boy, I'm the odd man out on this one.

When you look at the big picture of the cattle industry on the top end, it is to produce USDA prime beef, which gives you the best return on your investment. ( makes you the most money )
And that is the goal of everyone else within the supply chain. ( buyers )

If that is not your goal as a producer (seller ) then you can expect and will receive less for your product as it is known not to be able to produce a highest return on the investment.

In my area, colored /unrecognizable breeds and/or cross breeds bring about 20% less then clearly recognizable breeds.
The theory is simple. When you buy a pig in a poke, you will always pay less for the pig then if you had seen it.

As for trying to start a new breed by cross breeding, you are talking big bucks and many many years, if you ever succeed in producing a marketable product at all.
And if you do, you may have breed out some desirable traits, such as disease resistance, while breeding in the color, or other trait, you want.

IMO, the best you will ever achieve by cross breeding is to produce some sort of exotic looking animal that gives you bragging rights, not money, that only another BBRer ( breeding for bragging rights ) will buy. Or it will be sold for beef at a discounted price.

So is your goal now to make money, or to have bragging rights?
Are you in the cattle business or are you running a zoo? Or both ?

John

FWIW I agree with your post John, You're not the only odd man out.

The goal of any commercial beef breeder should be to raise animals with both quality and uniformity, and if possible do this in quantity.

An example of a good combination is the black or red baldy mama cow. Most do this by crossbreeding English breeds such as Hereford to a black or red angus. Can also be done by breeding a Shorthorn cow to red or black angus, but you get a lot of "color" which usually is detrimental at sale time. Not saying that's right, but that's just the way it is.

Breed this 2 way cross cow to a continental bull for maximum efficiency as a terminal cross. Charolais on black baldy cows is my personal favorite. But it can be done with other breeds such as Gelbvieh, Limousin, or Simmental.

Personally, I would stay with "name brand" breeds with a large gene pool of quality genetics available.

I get that error sometimes too. Right click on your photo, click copy image URL, then come here and paste it in your message. Highlight it and click the button and that will put the code on it.

[img]http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh496/OwnedByTheCows/IMG_20140611_174212_zps0a6266f9.jpg

spring2014003_zps7e62c13c.jpg

IMG_20140611_174347_zps79bbfa02.jpg

IMG_20140611_174327_zps63066d70.jpg

Your getting it! I told you when I gave you the directions, I am not good at it myself! :lol:
You and Alice are adorable! Thank you for the pictures! That is a lot of white to keep clean! :D

Latest posts