In proving my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus,
And if that is so, what business is it of yours?

If that's your problem then you are out of the loop.
Did you miss the discussion where half the people on the CT board have been banned and are back under another name?

Why don't you post a poll in the coffee shop and ask (how many times have you been banned? )
1 – 2- 3 -4 or more.
John

Re:
So don't think that I am coward and I don't want to hijacked the thread, unlike you.
EXCUSE ME! Then why did you post this if you didn't want to hijack the thread?
Page 2.
by Taurus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:36 am
Just ignore John Baker from now.

Now deny you didn't start it! And Now apologize to Olivia for hijacking her thread!
John

Ignore John Baker is a good advice and I want Olivia to take advices from experienced cattlemen that knows their business. Not an old man that sit behind the computer and pretend to have actual cattle. So far you hasn't denied that you are SirLoin.

Repeat:
And if that is so, what business is it of yours?
Now deny you didn't start it!
Now apologize to Olivia for hijacking her thread!

Olivia,
Please ignore the constant bickering among the "adults" on this board. It has nothing to do with you.

Now, about the cattle. Your biggest priority is to find out what type of cattle sell the best in your area. Go to your county extension agent. Ask questions. Find out what other people are raising and find out what works. I don't know where you live, and am not going to ask, since you are a minor. But I live in Texas where it is hot and humid. Where I live, it is good to have a bit of Brahman in your mama cows. We cross those mama cows on something that will trim the ear down and add pounds, such as Charolais. Where I live, the popular cattle that sell well tend to be crosses of Angus, Hereford, and Charolais. Black baldies sell well most anywhere, I am told. Beefmaster is also popular here. For females, anything with Brahman influence is popular here because it is hot and they do well in the heat. Go to the local livestock auction and learn to understand how the cattle are selling and the price. This takes a lot of listening and training your ear to hear it. Figure up what the cattle are selling for. Notice which ones sell the best and bring the most.

Crossbreeding is the heart and soul of the beef industry. Don't let anybody tell you anything different. Everthing else is bred for the purpose of supporting exactly that. : 0

LauraleesFarm":tftm1v0x said:
Olivia,

Crossbreeding is the heart and soul of the beef industry. Don't let anybody tell you anything different. Everthing else is bred for the purpose of supporting exactly that. : 0

I wish I could brand that into the side of ever cow I have. Make the purebred breeders do a back flip. :banana:

Good lord.... not THIS AGAIN!!

Olivia, I'm sorry, we've had a couple people who other people couldn't get along with... And it seems to always get started on good topics. Personally, I don't find much to like on the pictures just posted.

Whereabouts do you live? I'd say go to the state fair, or any other cattle showing place, preferably where there's lots of different breeds, and see what you like. I like to see lots of meat on a beef animal. If you like herefords and Angus, you're starting out with a breed that already has an extensive reputation, but also a fiercely comptetitive showing and breeding market... If you go with a lesser known breed, you lose out on breed reputation and thus marketability of your product. Speaking for myself, I really like the look of Gelbvieh cattle, and will always pick Reds over Blacks. Shorthorns can be really nice, and can work well in showing, but there is a great gap between the successful showing shorthorns and the successful BEEF shorthorns.

Whatever you start with, get something that's pretty easy to work with and docile to start out.

I'll leave you with one of my best pictures of a heifer who's turned into a heck of a cow, She's a Gelbvieh/Shorthorn/Hereford
IMG_0326-adj.jpg

I love the belted galloways, they make me giggle...I've always wanted one, but people want too much for them around me..

Since Olivia is selling their animals via shows at the fair then I can't see anything wrong with Pinzgauer and Belted Galloway's. Belted Galloway's makes great momma cows and they will raise big calves if you cross them with Angus or any terminal breed.

OwnedByTheCow":2pvodxs6 said:
What about in the fall could i do that or is the spring better.

I'm always going to say spring: calve ahead of the grass so the growing calf and milking cow have plenty to eat, then in winter the cow is dry and pregnant and doesn't need as much hay. Your local climate decides when the best time to calve is. A warm climate with summer drought and reliable autumn rain might be good with fall calving, very hot areas seem to calve earlier in spring to get the cows bred back before the heat of summer. Late spring works for farmers who like fat cows all year.

Nothing wrong with belted Galloway except that like every other minority breed they're going to be harder to sell on to commercial cattlemen. Nice looking animals, I've heard they're docile and they make good meat.

OwnedByTheCow":m2kpyq5x said:
What do ya'll think about the Belted Galloways? There is a Belted Galloway giveaway to two 4-Hers a year I was looking into that.
I love them Olivia! Would have a few myself but they are a bit pricey around here. On a purebred they will bring good money privately sold in some areas. The hobby farmers with small acreage, that need docile cattle. Might be a great calf for you!

Latest posts