In proving my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Re:
Okay, what about Herefords.
Hereford is a very good breed, second only to Black Angus.
But again, only use a Hereford bull on Hereford cows so the buyers knows exactly what they are buying.
Herefords generally are a smaller animal then B Angus but you can make just as much money running Herefords as you can B Angus by running 1 or 2 more Hereford then you would run B Angus on the same acreage, as Herefords consume less.
John

John Baker":3kklcpve said:
Backhoe,
Re:
Nurse cows by far are the most money makers a commercial person can own.
I strongly suspect that is true, if raising baby calves is your thing.

As I see it, if you got a dairy cow that produces 2 qts. Per teat, twice a day, you could feed 4 baby calves on one cow. Or at least 2 calves.
be nice, if baby calves were my thing, I would make a bra for the cow with a hole in it so each calf has his own one or two teats.
Picture this:
A cow with a bra with two teats sticking out. You turn one calf in and he nurses his 2 dry and you take him out. You turn the bra around and now the other 2 teats are exposed and you turn the other calf in.
Now you don't have to take the time to milk her and no buckets to wash.
Now all you need to do is get your wife to make the bra.
I suggest she make it out of some of your old coverall legs with a strap to go over her back to tie it on.

Let me know if it works and we will patent that sucker.
John

I could try, might be the best invention yet!

Two calves cannot nurse her out. Best to have only 3 calves and turn them out to pasture and leave it alone. Or you can crate her and regulate for the 4th calf to nurse.

Beware! Hereford calves may bring less money at the sale barn. Why not just making black baldies out of the Hereford cows and black Angus bull?

Taurus":3369vtpr said:
Beware! Hereford calves may bring less money at the sale barn. Why not just making black baldies out of the Hereford cows and black Angus bull?

Go brangus and get super baldies for this climate.

Re:
Why not just making black baldies out of the Hereford cows and black Angus bull?
Because you don't always get what you want by cross breeding.
Just because you use a large bull doesn't mean his genes will be the dominate gene.
Bulls and cows have both dominate and recessive genes and if the cows genes are the dominate ones, that is what you will get.

SL has a heifer baldy now.
Momma was a good Hereford, but old. She was breed with a registered B Angus bull. Momma put the calf on the ground with no problem, but she had no milk due to age, so SL bottle fed her.

No one would have any problem recognizing her as a Baldy, but she is a smaller animal like her mother.
Now here is the problems.
SL is about to put his B Angus bull, who is a large animal, with her. If his genes are now the dominate gene and she produces a large calf more like a B Angus calf, she could have problems calving and may not have enough milk to feed a large B Angus calf properly.

If this heifer produces a small calf, being bred to a B Angus bull, as was her mother, then she will be culled as she carries her mothers dominate genes they relate to size.
I'll see if SL has some pics of her.
John

Here are some pics of SL's Baldy.

It is hard to tell from these pis but she is definitely smaller then the blk on blk sisters.

Taurus
Re:

PM on CT from Taurus

Sent: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 pm
To: John Baker
Hello SirLion, NCLiz, NCLiz 2, NCLiz 3, MedicineWoman etc....quit act like you don't know why I have a problem with you.

OK, then, what's your problem with all those names??

And why are you afraid to discuss this publicly? I am!!

OwnedByTheCow":1tq2cs0a said:
Sulfer? whats that?

Don't worry about it. Your thread just got hijacked by the sulfur police.

Use what ever breed you want just strive to produce the best you can in that breed. All breeds have their shortfalls and that's why there are so many opinions.

Olivia
Re:
Sulfer? whats that?
I think m5 meant "sulfur ".

Here is a site that will tell you everything you need to know about sulfur, trace minerals and minerals in your state.
Just click on your state and scroll down a little and read all the info.
Pop quiz for tomorrow.
What is the sulfur level in your state?
What does sulfur block the absorption of?
John

http://www.multiminusa.com/resources/trace-minerals

John Baker":2mh6foyl said:
Taurus
Re:

PM on CT from Taurus

Sent: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 pm
To: John Baker
Hello SirLion, NCLiz, NCLiz 2, NCLiz 3, MedicineWoman etc....quit act like you don't know why I have a problem with you.

OK, then, what's your problem with all those names??

And why are you afraid to discuss this publicly? I am!!
You PM me first and I answered to your PM before I could reply to your public post. So don't think that I am coward and I don't want to hijacked the thread, unlike you. These names are same person as you.

Latest posts