In proving my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

For our area calving in April/may is better than early spring as you don't have to mess with the cold damp weather. Not to mention the bugs aren't really out yet. Any breed will do well up here as long as your beef critters are beefy. I've found most folks just want a steer for the freezer, but I only sell privately.

Olivia,

Pop quiz
What is the sulfur level in your state?
What does sulfur block the absorption of?
John

John Baker":2d69g2l1 said:
Olivia,

Pop quiz
What is the sulfur level in your state?
What does sulfur block the absorption of?
John

To answer your question.Sulfur is an important component of many functions in the body and is an essential nutrient for beef cattle. It is an important part of the amino acids methionine, cysteine, and cystine. The B-vitamins thiamine and biotin also contain sulfur. Rumen microbes (Cattle) require sulfur for their normal growth and metabolism. A major portion of the sulfur found in typical feedlot diets is a component of the natural protein and most practical diets are adequate in sulfur.
Elemental sulfur is considered one of the least toxic minerals; however, hydrogen sulfide, a product of sulfate metabolism in the rumen, is as toxic as cyanide (NRC, 2000). The manifestation of sulfur toxicity in feedlot cattle is often a condition called polioencephalomalacia (PEM) which is characterized by necrosis of the cerebral cortex. Symptoms of the condition include blindness, poor coordination, lethargy, and seizures. Very often affected cattle are observed standing in the corner of the pen like a saw horse with all four feet spread to the extreme corners of their body (Figure 1). Pen riders, doctors, and other feedlot personnel often refer to cattle exhibiting these signs as ?brainers.? This colorful name is appropriate when one considers that PEM literally means softening (malacia) of the gray matter (polio) of the brain (encephalo).

No, I am not sure of the sulfur level is in my state. It is also in grain, grass, and water.

Sulfur, as well as iron, and also molybdenum reduce copper uptake efficiency, and the antagonistic effects multiply when have high concentrations of 2 or more of those elements. I know we're very low on copper in our area (there's a creek about 10 miles away called "Molybdenite creek" too). My mineral needs to contain about 2500 ppm of copper. I have noticed differences in conception since I started using a BALANCED mineral mix FOR MY AREA, and the only real way to know what is missing is to do blood samples and tests. I found out we were low on phosphorus and selenium as well.

Why don't the cows die in places like Sulphur Springs? :D

It costs a couple of dollars per acre to add mineral into your fertilizer. Soil tests show I don't need mineral but I put it in anyway. Boron drives roots deep into the soil. If I keep running soil tests every other year, the results are always the same.

Cows always have loose mineral. Very seldom does a cow go a whole year between calves.

The well water here at the house is loaded with sulphur. I pump into a holding tank with peroxide injection. Sulphur dissipates from peroxide. Cows drink water straight from the well. SL figures I should have all kinds of issues I suppose.

I don't waste time trying to fix things that are not broken.

No I'm not any of those. My name is Olivia and i actually own real a real cow! I am apart of the Greenland dairy 4-H club where I bought my cow named Alice who is registered in American Holstein Association. Her dam is Autumn her sire is Kindling.

John Baker":3m2qu75w said:
Did you miss the discussion where half the people on the CT board have been banned and are back under another name?

Some of us are in the other half I suppose. Seems you have been banned a dozen or so times. Why is that?

Olivia
I would love for you to share pictures of Alice with us here. Hopefully, some of the adults on the forum can act nicely when you do.
One of my very first foster calves is named Alice, and she grew up to be a good sized girl. She is (we think) brangus/holstein cross. She will be a lifelong resident here, she is a big sweetheart.
So do you actually live in GREENLAND? That sounds awesome if you do.

LauraleesFarm":119ui6d3 said:
Olivia
I would love for you to share pictures of Alice with us here. Hopefully, some of the adults on the forum can act nicely when you do.
One of my very first foster calves is named Alice, and she grew up to be a good sized girl. She is (we think) brangus/holstein cross. She will be a lifelong resident here, she is a big sweetheart.
So do you actually live in GREENLAND? That sounds awesome if you do.
I would also love to see pics of you and Alice. Better pm lauralee or someone to tell you how to do it though. I am ok, but not the best at it.

Latest posts