I'm gonna complain about the rain

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm getting drought and to much rain at the same time. There has been around seven inches of rain here at the house in the last two weeks that kept me away from stuff I should do here but five miles away where the cattle are it's been dry to the point where I'm feeding bees and getting ready to start feeding cows. These storms are so patchy sometimes you can stand in the sun and watch it pour twenty feet in front of you.

some here are still cutting the last of first cutting ,i got two in one cutting myself an had to hire some one for the first time in 15yrs my neighbor just got his first cutting done in time to harvest wheat ,i was going to get the last 30 bale off field last weekend but didnt want to get tractor stuck !!this has not been my year still need to run water lines but rains like every week so not sure trench sides will stand long enough to put in fittings an hydrants more or less put pipe in ,need to set 150 post but dont want to get tractor stuck need strech some fence but you almost cant walk in some places.need clean around the barn an sheds to build corral but its mud ! been real depressing this year Bigfoot,dont think i got but 5 things done on my list from spring outa of about 50 things ! Theres always next year to look foward to my turn in drought,yeaaa.

My dozer guy stopped by this afternoon. I'm next on his list, but he said it hasn't moved in 6 weeks. Said he might starve to death if it keeps on.

JMJ Farms":n7zwzw6t said:
Got a dang good un here while ago. I'm guessing 3" minimum. Very thankful for it. My pastures were in dire need.

I seen and heard all that you lucky dog. It went around us here, but we got a good rain at the hay field. You going to the sale tomorrow?

True Grit Farms":3qq706zj said:
JMJ Farms":3qq706zj said:
Got a dang good un here while ago. I'm guessing 3" minimum. Very thankful for it. My pastures were in dire need.

I seen and heard all that you lucky dog. It went around us here, but we got a good rain at the hay field. You going to the sale tomorrow?

It almost went around me today too but I finally caught one. I was looking and I could tell it barely missed you. Looks like a little more may be on the way and if it keeps coming you'll get some of it for sure. Not quite as heavy as the first.

I doubt I make it tomorrow. I dropped off three steers this morning and let my trailer bc I had to go to work. Went back by and picked it up with my check. They done really good. 530@$1.43=$758 / 600@$1.37=$822 / [email protected]=$837. Might not be as good as it once was but I can survive at those numbers.

JMJ Farms":2sct2bvf said:
True Grit Farms":2sct2bvf said:
JMJ Farms":2sct2bvf said:

It almost went around me today too but I finally caught one. I was looking and I could tell it barely missed you. Looks like a little more may be on the way and if it keeps coming you'll get some of it for sure. Not quite as heavy as the first.

I doubt I make it tomorrow. I dropped off three steers this morning and let my trailer bc I had to go to work. Went back by and picked it up with my check. They done really good. 530@$1.43=$758 / 600@$1.37=$822 / [email protected]=$837. Might not be as good as it once was but I can survive at those numbers.

That's a good prices for sure. I saw John at the Supper club and he said prices were going up a little. Roger Brown from Reinke is sponsoring our cattlemens meal on Thursday the 11th. T - bones or Ribeyes. Come and eat with us at the FFA room at the high school.

I will keep that in mind and I appreciate the invite. I'm gonna make it one of these nights. Just been so dang busy that once I finally get home I ain't got much left. This sun has been brutal on us this summer. We are working outta town and try to be at the job site by daylight. I knock my crew off around 2. I get things ready for the next day and then make it home around 4:30. Try to take me a little siesta until about 5-5:30 and then get up and play cowboy till whenever. I prefer fall and winter.

mooo":3qu628ay said:
some here are still cutting the last of first cutting ,i got two in one cutting myself an had to hire some one for the first time in 15yrs my neighbor just got his first cutting done in time to harvest wheat ,i was going to get the last 30 bale off field last weekend but didnt want to get tractor stuck !!this has not been my year still need to run water lines but rains like every week so not sure trench sides will stand long enough to put in fittings an hydrants more or less put pipe in ,need to set 150 post but dont want to get tractor stuck need strech some fence but you almost cant walk in some places.need clean around the barn an sheds to build corral but its mud ! been real depressing this year Bigfoot,dont think i got but 5 things done on my list from spring outa of about 50 things ! Theres always next year to look foward to my turn in drought,yeaaa.
You need some rock under you to take care of that problem. I may slide down the hill but I wont sink up here. Today is the first time in a few weeks that we didn't get at least a little rain.

We got pummeled with more rain this morning, and it's looking like a wet night..

I have comfort in the fact that EVERY ranch around here has hay laying out and I'm not the only one that got caught

I've seen drier times but not even the drought of 2011 dried up 2 shallow ponds I have over on the east side of my property--they are very very close to being dry today. Last week of may, they had 4' of flood water running over the top of them. Been a strange year, after a really warm but wet winter. Drilled a post hole today to 3' then dug it by hand to 4'--should have seen some seepage at that depth but was bone dry top to bottom. ??

So I've seen suggestions or tricks to make it rain discussed on here before. Anybody have any remedies to make it stop raining???

It's about to come a gully washer here. I believe I'll just give this year to Mother Nature. If a window opens, I'll cut about 30 acres of hay, if it doesn't I won't worry about it. Might go fishin when the storm passes.

arkie1":1dlbj6rg said:
So I've seen suggestions or tricks to make it rain discussed on here before. Anybody have any remedies to make it stop raining???
Apply thousands of dollars worth of fertilize to all the pastures usually works best for me.
Planting any kind of new forage is known to be a close second.

If i had know this would be a record setting year, i would have kept a record of the rainfall. It gets to be old hat going out and dumping 1 to 3 inches of rain out of the gauge about every day or so. I have a little branch that runs in the lot in front of my house. Even in a normal year, it always dries up in the summer, but it has been running all summer this time; I can't remember the last time it did that.

I will have to say, I've had wet and I've had dry. I'll take this over dry.

Latest posts