I'm done ...

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
haying. Last year I went into winter with 70 bales knowing I would run out. And I did. This year I wound up with close to 300 bales and could have had another 200 if I could have baled it myself when it needed to be baled.

I hope to get my hay barn built this winter so maybe I can salvage some of the hay. We'll see.

Anyway, it feels good to be through with it and know I will have enough to carry me through the winter.

Yeah, we turned the cows into the hay field to graze it instead of cutting it, we shredded another pasture we could have cut. He've got more hay this year then we've had in years. Have been able to sell some and never have had enough to before.

That's about enough braggin' fellers! We'd love to relieve you all of some of that hay but the economics of transporting it!?!?
What kind of prices are you all seeing for hay in your area? I've heard that one of the local feed dealers is charging $75 for a 750# roll of average grass. This would have been around $20 in past years.

We thought we had enough hay, but that was before we had to start feeding it in July due to bad pasture. We never got a second crop off any of the fields. Friday my horse is getting loaded and sent to new family. I sold her, for the most part, to make hay for cattle last longer. Was one of those decisions that sounded practical in August, but as the day draws nearer.....

angie":2l8bcnck said:
We thought we had enough hay, but that was before we had to start feeding it in July due to bad pasture. We never got a second crop off any of the fields. Friday my horse is getting loaded and sent to new family. I sold her, for the most part, to make hay for cattle last longer. Was one of those decisions that sounded practical in August, but as the day draws nearer.....

Sorry to hear that Angie. Same situation here. Shipping four bred cows next Monday :( Now, since we got 15 inches of rain in about a month I need to figure out how we are ever going to get the rig in there to get them out!

everyone here in texas has enough hay.been along time since i could say that.i talked to some friends that has just quit baling hay.said they got more than they need.still have grass for the cows to eat.looks like we wont have to hay till dec.

we've sold 82, 5 x 5.5 bales coastal/bahia so far for $45 plus delivery. We have over 250 bales left and probably only need 150 to feed for the winter. Wish I could trade you those bred cows for some hay......

angie":3ngm2cx6 said:
We thought we had enough hay, but that was before we had to start feeding it in July due to bad pasture.

That was '05 for us. It was so bad cactus died. The cows would take steps and generate dust clouds. '06 wasn't as bad but it wasn't good. This year we have had so much rain it was tough to time your cutting and baling. I'll keep a good stockpile just in case I have to hay in June/July of '08

We have been huring for hay for a long time. This year I cut and bale 500 bales in Aug. That made 800 bales. Just stopped. New hay barn has 250 of the beat and the rest is out side. Hope to sell some to cover the cost of baling. But will keep a lot for the future and hope for the best.

bigbull338":3srhomz4 said:
everyone here in texas has enough hay.

If they don't, they'll never be able to buy it any cheaper than they can right now. There are folks selling it for a loss right now, just trying to cut their losses. Kind of like they are in a panic. It is now a buyer's market for the first time in a very long time.

Bullbuyer":10g8hquf said:
That's about enough braggin' fellers! We'd love to relieve you all of some of that hay but the economics of transporting it!?!?

No kidding! Time to break out the watermelon express!

What kind of prices are you all seeing for hay in your area? I've heard that one of the local feed dealers is charging $75 for a 750# roll of average grass. This would have been around $20 in past years.

Seen 5x4's in the paper for $50 and up. Saw some 6x5's of good grass go for over $100. My cows have discovered corn fodder really isn't that bad after all.

cfpinz

backhoeboogie":x4lsax7g said:
bigbull338":x4lsax7g said:
everyone here in texas has enough hay.

If they don't, they'll never be able to buy it any cheaper than they can right now. There are folks selling it for a loss right now, just trying to cut their losses. Kind of like they are in a panic. It is now a buyer's market for the first time in a very long time.
i sold 80 rolls this year for $32 an $30 a bale.an they are the big heavy bales.

Latest posts