I'm out

Help Support CattleToday:

I would have all ready sold out, but capital gains tax is more than fed estate tax, (as of now, who knows what the highly intelligent members of congress will do tax wise in the future) I need to check TN estate tax or whatever TN calls it.

Last edited:
Welcome Gobbler, seems like I didn't get near as much for my trees as I thought I would. What area are you located.
Be relocated to NE Texas in June. Got a bucketful of decent job offers, trying to use my VA loan to snag a property and put a house on it. Problem is, with the land market up there I'll be pretty much capped at 35 acres or so unless I buy land with heavier timber. Both the wife and I are eligible for VA loans and veteran land loans from the state of Texas but I'm wary of extending ourselves until the first property can at least comp a decent chunk of the mortgage.

Well stated Texas Rancher.

Far too many people in the world today tho, have only money as a measure of their life and success. We will be appraised by that Great Judge beyond St Peter's gate one day and He will laugh at all of the Earthly barristers and their opinions. Our deeds and intentions alone will be of any importance.

As you see from the above, "you can make it work" you just need to have a good job to pay for it. Squeeze the VA for what ever you can, they owe you. I always thought more was better when it comes to land but clearing tree is a lot of work. If your young enough and have time I always thought of it as a labor of love.

As you see from the above, "you can make it work" you just need to have a good job to pay for it. Squeeze the VA for what ever you can, they owe you. I always thought more was better when it comes to land but clearing tree is a lot of work. If your young enough and have time I always thought of it as a labor of love.
I'm gonna squeeze and wring them like a set of silk sheets dropped in a barrel of whiskey. Appreciates ya. I agree, more country is better. Timber sells, little ones make good fenceposts, and I'm still mostly young. Never liked pulling stumps, though...

At the age of 66 I bought and moved to a 1,200 acre ranch that includes two out the gate BLM permits. After I retired we sold the place on the Washington coast. We spent 9 months on a property we own in south central Washington while searching for and getting this place bought. During that time I helped a rancher who is a shirttail relative of the wife for something to do. As we were buying and getting ready to move here people asked him why at our age we were buying a ranch. He told me that he had said to them, if you don't know I could never explain it to you.

At the age of 66 I bought and moved to a 1,200 acre ranch that includes two out the gate BLM permits. After I retired we sold the place on the Washington coast. We spent 9 months on a property we own in south central Washington while searching for and getting this place bought. During that time I helped a rancher who is a shirttail relative of the wife for something to do. As we were buying and getting ready to move here people asked him why at our age we were buying a ranch. He told me that he had said to them, if you don't know I could never explain it to you.
My grandfather pitched downhill with an alarming speed after he had to quit foolin' with cows and we always said that would happen. He passed in September holding my hand. I hope they find me keeled over in a pasture or a deer blind when my time comes.

I hope they find me keeled over in a pasture or a deer blind when my time comes.
We all kinda hope or say that kind of thing when were a little younger, but it usually doesn't play out that way.

Years ago, my father used his US Army derived VA to buy part of a 124 ac parcel and his Texas Vets Land Board to finance the rest.

We all kinda hope or say that kind of thing when were a little younger, but it usually doesn't play out that way.

Years ago, my father used his US Army derived VA to buy part of a 124 ac parcel and his Texas Vets Land Board to finance the rest.
Don't I know it, but it don't keep me from hoping.

I'm hoping I can get the VA loan to eat all of the cost on parcel and house, they've gotten better about it. I'd like for my wife and I's veteran land loans to be for buying more as we go. I'm trying to grow my retirement and my children's future now.

I wish I hadn't been so schizo about credit cards and banks when I was younger still, I'm having to build credit now because I swore for years that I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't pay for out of pocket or by setting money back. As a result, I've only had one or two lines of billing consistently as an adult... not a great credit builder, but I have avoided debt longer than most.

Dad was 69 when he bought the farm here in Riverton. He retired from 30 years in the construction business, and could not stand retirement, he needed something to do. I moved up here to help him out some, and low and behold I got sucked in. Really had no intention of getting into the livestock business, but here I am. I found I really enjoy it. Dad is now 86 and still going strong, although at a slower pace. We spent most of the morning working on the manure spreader; I did most of the work, but he was there to give a helping hand. He just has to be in the thick of everything.

Great thread. This might be the year i get out. Keeping water flowing up north here is my biggest issue. Then the mud. Price of hay - not that they hay folks don't deserve it. Their life hasn't been easy either.. Kind of hate to see all the work go to "waste". All the fences and systems and such. Knowing what I know now, I would never "start" - which I did from scratch 30 years ago. I'd probably get a couple dirt bikes, make some trails, and have a different kind of fun.

Is it too late in the game, proverbially speaking, to pull the old "buy timber land, have it cut" trick in order to get set up?
I've been thinking about this as well. Plenty of timber land in my part of Missouri being sold, but pasture has gotten ridiculous. I paid less than $3k an acre in 2019, now realtors are telling me folks in the area are paying $6k an acre.

I've been thinking about this as well. Plenty of timber land in my part of Missouri being sold, but pasture has gotten ridiculous. I paid less than $3k an acre in 2019, now realtors are telling me folks in the area are paying $6k an acre.
Whew, that's ridiculous, but not so far away from what I've seen.

My grandfather pitched downhill with an alarming speed after he had to quit foolin' with cows and we always said that would happen. He passed in September holding my hand. I hope they find me keeled over in a pasture or a deer blind when my time comes.
I hope for the same thing, just fall over dead driving the tractor or checking cows. Had a neighbor die several years back, wife found him slumped over the fence he was working on. Also had a co-worker who's father passed a few years ago, found him slumped over the steering wheel of a tractor. What a way to go!
My wife thinks I'll probably go because I'll still be doing something sketchy and too old to avoid the danger like I can now, I'm known to do some sketchy stuff at times.

Be relocated to NE Texas in June. Got a bucketful of decent job offers, trying to use my VA loan to snag a property and put a house on it. Problem is, with the land market up there I'll be pretty much capped at 35 acres or so unless I buy land with heavier timber. Both the wife and I are eligible for VA loans and veteran land loans from the state of Texas but I'm wary of extending ourselves until the first property can at least comp a decent chunk of the mortgage.
What part of East Texas are you looking to settle in?

I knew an old man who at one time had 5,000 +/- acres of wheat and about 400 cows. Over time he had cut back. He was 94 and down to about 30 cows. He did all the work himself. His nephews convinced him that he should sell out and move into town. He did and was dead in less than 6 months.

What part of East Texas are you looking to settle in?
I'm hoping very hard for Red River County, but I'm looking at land and entertaining job options and offers in about a six county area extending W-SW from Bowie County. I think Red River County has room for land growth since it's a declining county with a low retention rate for youth.

I hope for the same thing, just fall over dead driving the tractor or checking cows. Had a neighbor die several years back, wife found him slumped over the fence he was working on. Also had a co-worker who's father passed a few years ago, found him slumped over the steering wheel of a tractor. What a way to go!
My wife thinks I'll probably go because I'll still be doing something sketchy and too old to avoid the danger like I can now, I'm known to do some sketchy stuff at times.
Hahahaha. I can't move quick enough anymore to get into or out of trouble, so I just try to avoid it. Colt will have to stop what I can't, if I'm ever in dire straits.

Not sure a big tractor is in my future, but would rather die doing this than die with the regret of never having tried.