I'm back

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I have spent the past few days trying to get Mom and Dad settled. Visited Monday and it was a disaster. They are extremely angry, not that I blame them, and it is so hard to convince them that I did this because I love them and wanted them to be safe. Visit lasted for about twenty minutes and I could see that I was upsetting them more than it was worth so I left. My sister is going over there today to take them more clothing.

I was trying to get them into a room together, as they are not at the moment, and last night, Mom refused her meds and started swinging at the staff and Dad. That's not going to get them into a room of their own. I am afraid of what may end up happening now, as I think Mom is going to be tranqed pretty good for a while, at least until she can calm down and accept the situation. That may be part of the problem, as Mom was tranqing herself pretty well at home and she may be coming down hard. I found liquor in her closet and today I found a bunch of pills that I think are Soma. They were in an unmarked bottle. I'll show them to a pharmacist and let him dispose of them. They are old if that's what they were. She hasn't been prescribed that in a couple of years. She has been on Atavan, though, and I know she was probably taking more than she was supposed to because she was trying to get refills all the time.

I was at their house today trying to find the things I needed for Medicaid application. It's a mess, but I found a lot of what I needed. I am just gonna hire a lawyer, I think, to help sort this out. I don't really know what I'm doing and I want to be able to do the best by everyone. Cleaning out that house is gonna be a chore.

Just an update. Tomorrow is Mom's birthday and I am going to go over there along with my sister and visit and make a little party if she will allow us to.

This is just so sad. I don't know what I can do other than just continuing to visit and showing them I love them.

Lammie: I am so sorry you and your parents are going thru this. Just remember they are not really themselves at this point. It is hard to come to terms with. When we had to place Dad, he was convinced we were taking him to a funeral home! It was horrible. He had begged us not to put him in a home and my brother and I cared for him as long as we were physically able to. It got to the point that he could not be left alone for even 15 minutes and night times were a night mare! He didn't make it long in nursing care which I guess we need to look at it as a blessing, although it was painful. Hang in there, it is not easy. You are doing the best you can and now you need to trust the professionals at the nursing home to keep them safe.
My heart goes out to you.

The staff at the home have begun to refer to them as The Featherweights for their boxing, I guess. Dad tried to take a swing at my sister last night. He says they have gin parties at night and that there is gambling.

Now, Dad's never referred to anything as a "gin party" in all my life. What's next? Flappers? Sorry. I have to find humor in this. He also said there were two Indian Pow Wows night before last, lest you think he may be serious. I'm not saying that there isn't stuff that goes on at night, but gin parties is pushing it. All the same, I might pop in one night and see for myself.

They are getting their own room tomorrow. :banana: I made an appointment to see a lawyer on Tuesday. I want to see if there are any of their assets we can preserve. There isn't a lot to start with, but I want to see what she has to say about it. I am taking over the Medical Power of Attorney tonight, as both have agreed to sign that. I hope they still feel like it. My sister said that Mother was very calm tonight and that Dad was the angry one.

I am taking my little dog tonight, too. They do allow pets there, so I thought a pooch visit might cheer them up.

Wish me luck.

Lammie":394q8u3k said:
The staff at the home have begun to refer to them as The Featherweights for their boxing, I guess. Dad tried to take a swing at my sister last night. He says they have gin parties at night and that there is gambling.

Now, Dad's never referred to anything as a "gin party" in all my life. What's next? Flappers? Sorry. I have to find humor in this. He also said there were two Indian Pow Wows night before last, lest you think he may be serious. I'm not saying that there isn't stuff that goes on at night, but gin parties is pushing it. All the same, I might pop in one night and see for myself.

They are getting their own room tomorrow. :banana: I made an appointment to see a lawyer on Tuesday. I want to see if there are any of their assets we can preserve. There isn't a lot to start with, but I want to see what she has to say about it. I am taking over the Medical Power of Attorney tonight, as both have agreed to sign that. I hope they still feel like it. My sister said that Mother was very calm tonight and that Dad was the angry one.

I am taking my little dog tonight, too. They do allow pets there, so I thought a pooch visit might cheer them up.

Wish me luck.

Gin could have nothing to do with spirits, could be Gin Rummy. Of course, spirits are optional.

dun":2s5c1swv said:
Lammie":2s5c1swv said:

Wish me luck.

Gin could have nothing to do with spirits, could be Gin Rummy. Of course, spirits are optional.

You forget, Dun, that we Southern Baptists do not play cards. I don't think my dad would know Gin from Texas Hold 'em. Cards are sinful, don't cha know. Dominoes are another story.
:D :D

You forget, Dun, that we Southern Baptists do not play cards. I don't think my dad would know Gin from Texas Hold 'em. Cards are sinful, don't cha know. Dominoes are another story.
:D :D[/quote]

Lammie sorry to hijack your thread but your statement begs the question.

Do you know why Southern Baptists don't have Sex standing up???
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
They are afraid it will lead to dancin. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I can't tell any of the Baptist jokes I know because they aren't nice enough.

Now, don't you all go and get offended. I myself am a recovering Baptist.

Visit went great. Dad had been a sad sack all day but he was very well behaved when I was there. My sister woosed out at the last minute and did not go, but she missed them both being, well, almost happy. And in as good a spirits as I have seen them in months. They are in their own room but it is temporary. The room they are getting is being remodeled, so Dad was excited about that. I will take them some stuff on Saturday. He's still worried about money, but I told him everything was going to be okay.

So, good news for a change. Man, I am gonna start taking my dog to every visit!

Lammie- that's great having a "decent " visit every once in a while sure helps. They may be getting used to the new arrangement. I hope things continue to progress positively for everyone's sake. Good Luck.

Latest posts