Igenity EPD's for the Commercial Cow operation

Help Support CattleToday:

Julian

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone has used Igenity to develop EPD's for their own commercial cows, for within herd decision-making. If you have I would be grateful to learn of your experience. Responses here, a PM, email or snail mail are all welcome.

Julian":350hx8tl said:
Was curious if anyone has used Igenity to develop EPD's for their own commercial cows, for within herd decision-making. If you have I would be grateful to learn of your experience. Responses here, a PM, email or snail mail are all welcome.

I have tossed around the idea and would also like to know if anybody else has done any Igenity work on commercial cows. It is rather cost prohibitive to run the whole herd through but I wonder if you started with replacements every year you might be able to gain some over time.

AS AN ALTERNATIVE.....

for a meer ten doallars per head (plus expenses) I will come down and monitor your weighing and processing and do visual appraisal on each of your bulls cows and calves and provide you with a computerized ranking and scores for conformation, performance, disposition, thriftyness, and approximated fly count.

it will be almost as effective and almost as costly.

everyone else is coming up with a way to seperate producers from their money one calf at a time....I see no reason that I should not jump on the band wagon as well.

I am a purebreed breeder and all this testing has just gone crazy. I decided to do it the old fashioned way.
Use the best good clean genetics I can find......
use a truthful scale at the appropriate times.....
and stand behind what I produce......

pdfangus":h8oe9i7j said:
AS AN ALTERNATIVE.....

for a meer ten doallars per head (plus expenses) I will come down and monitor your weighing and processing and do visual appraisal on each of your bulls cows and calves and provide you with a computerized ranking and scores for conformation, performance, disposition, thriftyness, and approximated fly count.

everyone else is coming up with a way to seperate producers from their money one calf at a time....I see no reason that I should not jump on the band wagon as well.

I am a purebreed breeder and all this testing has just gone crazy. I decided to do it the old fashioned way.

Finally, someone that can see the B.S. for what it is AND have the courage to state it publicly! The only way your post would have been better were if there would have been trumpets in the background. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: well said Jim, well said indeed!!

sim.-ang.king":1t1ases2 said:
I think the beef market shouldn't be all about numbers and names but sires and danes

Great Danes? or the Northern European variety.?

Julian":27x9r3wk said:
pdfangus":27x9r3wk said:
AS AN ALTERNATIVE.....

Finally, someone that can see the B.S. for what it is AND have the courage to state it publicly! The only way your post would have been better were if there would have been trumpets in the background. :clap: :clap: :clap:

AMEN-- I agree....

I am using Igenity on the better bull calves. Just another source of information. I can't say if it will pay off, only time will tell. I am most interested in the tenderness testing and intend to improve the tenderness scores through time. The fertility and stayability traits are also of great interest to me.

alexfarms":1ucri624 said:
I am using Igenity on the better bull calves. Just another source of information. I can't say if it will pay off, only time will tell. I am most interested in the tenderness testing and intend to improve the tenderness scores through time. The fertility and stayability traits are also of great interest to me.

What breed of cattle are you trying to improve tenderness on?

I used it on some bull calves that I was thinking about selling to a neighbor. After getting the results back I sold him the better bull and made the other one a steer. I didn't think $35 dollars each was to much money to find out all that information on my bulls. I added the $70 to the price I charged for the bull.

Jovid":ygwh7wih said:
alexfarms":ygwh7wih said:

What breed of cattle are you trying to improve tenderness on?
I raise a linebred line of polled Herefords. I have seen some variation in the tenderness scores. This year's bulls calves ranged from 1 to 9 on the Igenity scale. I have home butchered a perfect score on tenderness and a 1 and I believe there is a difference. The 1 was still good, but not near as tender on certain cuts. I will be selecting to cull out the low scores and increase use of the high scoring individuals. I have also been using Igenity parentage testing where I have used multiple sires in a pasture. I think there is some potential in using multiple sires because it will allow me to use more bulls to lower my inbreeding coefficients and just to sample more yearling bulls through natural service.

The word is DAME. Sarcasm is much more effective if you are at least semi-literate.

Oh wait! I am sorry you actually are semi-literate.

3waycross":1evnak99 said:
The word is DAME. Sarcasm is much more effective if you are at least semi-literate.

Oh wait! I am sorry you actually are semi-literate.

Sorry I just graduated the first grade. :dunce:

Latest posts