If money was no object......

Help Support CattleToday:

Bructer

Reaction score
If money was flowing free and was not a concern, how much hay/grain would YOU give your feeder steer per 100 pounds a day? I'm talking about perfect marbling and best palatability for personal use. All the sites Ive investigated have different feeding recommendations and I'm a bit confused. :shock:

Thanks in advance.

Bructer":8twlrszq said:
If money was flowing free and was not a concern, how much hay/grain would YOU give your feeder steer per 100 pounds a day? I'm talking about perfect marbling and best palatability for personal use. All the sites Ive investigated have different feeding recommendations and I'm a bit confused. :shock:

Thanks in advance.

Guess I would feed him like we do a show steer. Always had some pretty good meat from our show Steers. We put them on free choice hay and then a complete ration of Oats, Corn, Soybean meal, Cotton Seed hulls, molasses. Slowly move them up till they are eating around 20lbs a day of feed and free choice hay.

Not sure if this is the best for marbling and palatability but like I said some pretty good steaks from a good show steer.

aplusmnt":2r7imz1z said:
Bructer":2r7imz1z said:

Thanks in advance.

Guess I would feed him like we do a show steer. Always had some pretty good meat from our show Steers. We put them on free choice hay and then a complete ration of Oats, Corn, Soybean meal, Cotton Seed hulls, molasses. Slowly move them up till they are eating around 20lbs a day of feed and free choice hay.

Not sure if this is the best for marbling and palatability but like I said some pretty good steaks from a good show steer.
if your feeding a steer for the freezer.you have to feed them.an i say feed them 20 to 25lbs of feed a day.show steer or freezer steer i never held back on the feed.always fed them asa much as they would eat.

For a freeze calf feed free choice, but start with higher alfalfa and oats ration, and slowly move to a heavier mix of corn. The cor adds fat, the aflafa and oats grows the frame. Believe me you cant start heavy on the corn, it will be a disaster for you.

Latest posts