I Will Not Thank a Farmer

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgal604 said:
I know we are all just joking but I mean...this chain is weird. Seems farmers are their own worst enemies. Rather than poking fun at consumers concerns like we all tend to do on here how about provide good information and better understanding. Just a wild idea....

Consumers don't want good information and a better understanding. They want their own beliefs about organic and vegetarian diets reinforced despite what science says.

ChrisB said:
cowgal604 said:
I know we are all just joking but I mean...this chain is weird. Seems farmers are their own worst enemies. Rather than poking fun at consumers concerns like we all tend to do on here how about provide good information and better understanding. Just a wild idea....

Consumers don't want good information and a better understanding. They want their own beliefs about organic and vegetarian diets reinforced despite what science says.

Some maybe. My entire business is based on winning over the people that you are talking about. Most people come to our farm with bad thoughts and leave with good ones. If we want to fight for our place in the market you have to be an advocate. There are some things about the beef industry that are shocking to many. Even to me. Responding in anger or making fun of what someone has been made to believe isn't the right method.

You would be surprised by the amount of people who dont have a CLUE about where food comes from. They have no idea there are people out there who truly care about their animals and work very hard, for very little pay, to make sure the best is provided.
A lot think it just comes from the grocery store...

If you really want to win them over tell them your hens are in no way caged, live to a ripe ol' age and die of natural causes, their beaks are not clipped and the male chicks are allowed to live and have free range of the farm...with the hens. You will just have to get your wording right. Your orders & 'thank you's' should increase substantially :p

Redgully said:
I do it for the way of life, but my kids are not! Try being a fruit grower working 16 hour days 7 days a week and at the end of the year realising you made less money than what it cost to run the place. Having to throw fruit out because it has a tiny blemish. When you do have a good year you have to buy a tractor so not to lose it all in tax and then people telling you you're rich because you have a new tractor. It wears you down over the years.

I wont tell some other forum members, but keep all that fruit for your livestock.......

It is a madness, though, very wasteful, and so much is wrapped in plastic, some things are double wrapped.....what about aussie dairy farmers....we can thank them.

y'all sound like a bunch of ingrates.. what's wrong with being thanked? You all thank everyone else, "Essential services" like paramedics, police, firefighters, etc...
I don't do it so that I get thanked, but it's nice to hear sometimes.

greggy said:
Redgully said:
I do it for the way of life, but my kids are not! Try being a fruit grower working 16 hour days 7 days a week and at the end of the year realising you made less money than what it cost to run the place. Having to throw fruit out because it has a tiny blemish. When you do have a good year you have to buy a tractor so not to lose it all in tax and then people telling you you're rich because you have a new tractor. It wears you down over the years.

I wont tell some other forum members, but keep all that fruit for your livestock.......

It is a madness, though, very wasteful, and so much is wrapped in plastic, some things are double wrapped.....what about aussie dairy farmers....we can thank them.

We like the San Pellegrino citrus flavored water... the packaging on that is INSANE
Lets start with how it gets to Costco.. On a pallet that's shrink wrapped with a top cover sheet, probably two, one plastic and a cardboard one, then the 24 packs are in a tray with a shrink wrap, then the 6 packs in the tray are shrink wrapped, then each can has an alumimum cover
Seriously, it's frustrating trying to get to a drink!.. Oh, but "Please recycle"

cowgal604 said:
ChrisB said:
cowgal604 said:

Some maybe. My entire business is based on winning over the people that you are talking about. Most people come to our farm with bad thoughts and leave with good ones. If we want to fight for our place in the market you have to be an advocate. There are some things about the beef industry that are shocking to many. Even to me. Responding in anger or making fun of what someone has been made to believe isn't the right method.

My wife and I were a part of our local farmers market for a couple years we sold vegetables and eggs. It was an interesting experience but we enjoyed getting to talk with people and share some details of farm life. A lot of folks have no idea of how crops are grown or animals are cared for. We put pictures of some of our cows/calves and chickens as well as of us working in the garden. We tried to answer all questions honestly and most folks were receptive to hear truth. One recurring trend of thought was that white eggs are somehow altered ie bleached or chemicals fed. Some had no idea that the breed of chicken is the reason for the color of the shell. We had White Leghorns at the time so the questions came up a lot. The second year we used Barred Rocks and Black Australorps for brown eggs.

Ky hills said:
cowgal604 said:
ChrisB said:

My wife and I were a part of our local farmers market for a couple years we sold vegetables and eggs. It was an interesting experience but we enjoyed getting to talk with people and share some details of farm life. A lot of folks have no idea of how crops are grown or animals are cared for. We put pictures of some of our cows/calves and chickens as well as of us working in the garden. We tried to answer all questions honestly and most folks were receptive to hear truth. One recurring trend of thought was that white eggs are somehow altered ie bleached or chemicals fed. Some had no idea that the breed of chicken is the reason for the color of the shell. We had White Leghorns at the time so the questions came up a lot. The second year we used Barred Rocks and Black Australorps for brown eggs.

Yes! I also get a lot of questions about the feather colour of my birds! People think white hens also are some sort of genetic freak. It shocks me. It's literally just a breed but I raise brown feathered birds for this reason. Less questions

ALACOWMAN said:
cowgal604 said:
I get thanked and praised by our community all the time. I only advertise my egg business Bcs my cows aren't much of a business but people love what we are doing.

I posted on our local community Facebook page and got over 300 orders in an afternoon!

Free range chickens on a vegetation diet? How do you keep them from eating worms and grass hoppers etc?

Oh no 🤢🤮 I'm vegetarian. I can't do eggs unless its hidde, I don't know it, see it, or think about it. The thought of eggs makes me want to 🤢🤮 I used to eat meat and eats can't any more. My husband said I met you would if somebody give you 1 million bucks. I said no I'd throw up!! I'm talking I used to be a big meat eater.

Ya'll have a good point on thank the farmer I never thought about it like that...

I know I get them stickers in the mail every week. I could decorate an entire wall or car with them. 😅🤣😂😉

Hey thanks farmers!!! 🙋🏾‍♀️👨‍🌾👩‍🌾🐄🐮🙏👏 I like farmers pretty cool people. Some may just be do a little part but every part is important. Better than robots doing your jobs. Or us eating more man made foods.

is there a prob with animal meats....as scavengers, they prob naturally eat anything that moves or does not....although would not feed them chicken :)

ChrisB said:
cowgal604 said:

Consumers want....

Whatever the latest instagram or facebook trend is, and is ok to disregard any process to make or create this latest trend

They want perfect fruit and veg, like the plastic surgery so many have, all that matters is the look, taste and nutrition come a very sound last.....

Consumers want to make sure it is everyone else who is eff ing up the world, they want no part in that...

Consumers like lots of plastic wrapping and coverings, this is more important than what is inside.

Consumers are, well, to be frank, mostly retarted, as is our western world now, but we raised these special people with special needs.....one day all this nonsense has too stop.

cowgal604 said:
ALACOWMAN said:
cowgal604 said:
I get thanked and praised by our community all the time. I only advertise my egg business Bcs my cows aren't much of a business but people love what we are doing.

I posted on our local community Facebook page and got over 300 orders in an afternoon!

Free range chickens on a vegetation diet? How do you keep them from eating worms and grass hoppers etc?

When it comes to selling eggs and referencing chickens diets at least in these parts when you say fed a vegetarian diet it means you aren't feeding them feed with animal byproducts in it. We also don't feed our chickens meat. Some people do...

Oh oh I shared my biscuits and gravy with this pullet I hope I don't get busted by the vegans :oops:

greggy said:
ChrisB said:
cowgal604 said:

Consumers want....

Whatever the latest instagram or facebook trend is, and is ok to disregard any process to make or create this latest trend

They want perfect fruit and veg, like the plastic surgery so many have, all that matters is the look, taste and nutrition come a very sound last.....

Consumers want to make sure it is everyone else who is eff ing up the world, they want no part in that...

Consumers like lots of plastic wrapping and coverings, this is more important than what is inside.

Consumers are, well, to be frank, mostly retarted, as is our western world now, but we raised these special people with special needs.....one day all this nonsense has too stop.

Consumers say they want all that, but at the end of the day what they really want is cheap and their ideology goes out the window, as China rubs their hands together.

I want to be thanked. Call me weird. I spend a lot of time, money and effort creating my product. I also sell to folks individually, so it's important to have a personal relationship to some degree. Let me know how it was. Thank me for my effort. Thank the animal for its sacrifice to bring you nutrition. I think that might be part of the problem. I remember saying grace as a kid and thanking the Lord for our food. Native Americans always thanked the animal and mother earth for their meal. Now we just want cheap crap that's so overdone flavor wise that we can't recognize what it is we're eating.

Bestoutwest said:
I want to be thanked. Call me weird. I spend a lot of time, money and effort creating my product. I also sell to folks individually, so it's important to have a personal relationship to some degree. Let me know how it was. Thank me for my effort. Thank the animal for its sacrifice to bring you nutrition. I think that might be part of the problem. I remember saying grace as a kid and thanking the Lord for our food. Native Americans always thanked the animal and mother earth for their meal. Now we just want cheap crap that's so overdone flavor wise that we can't recognize what it is we're eating.

I totally agree! I've actually even fired some customers. If they can't appreciate what I do then i don't want them as a customer

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Latest posts