I was told to add dish soap to 2, 4D...?

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
I understand the reasoning, but no one could give me an accurate amount. I am basically mixing up 2 pints of 2, 4D with 25 G of H2O (per acre)...how much soap to be most effective? Thxs

Someone on here can give you a more professional answere but, Liquid soap can be used as a surfacant, although it is not as good as the surfacant you can buy. A surfacant helps the molicules of water be sbsorbed by the leaves of what you are spraying. Shomething about water surface tension and the wax coating of the leaves.

Spraying any herbicide with a surfacant helps. Some herbicides alreay have a surfacant. Read the label.

Mix 1/2 to 3/4 pt. of soap to as 2 pt. mix. As stated surfactant will work better and is worth the extra expense.

Surfactant helps makes the poison stick to the plant instead of dribbling on the ground like water.

Angus/Brangus":2kuay9z3 said:
I agree, get the surfactant. The soap often just ends up as a spray of bubbles. Not bad a bad idea if you want to see where you have already sprayed :D The surfactant is pretty cheap.

That's a great idea, thanks! :D Hopefully, I won't need it as we are going to put my goats to work for weed control, but I now have an ace in the hole just in case. ;-)

And if you are going to use soap, make sure you put it in AFTER you fill the tank up with water/chemicals. Otherwise, you're going to have foam everywhere.....

I figured out the last comment after I mixed the first batch.....what a foaming mess :dunce:

Soap cuts down on the surface tension of water and allows it to cover the plant leaves instead of laying on them in droplets and rolling off.

Don't take much. Just a little dab.

I generally use a quart of surfactant to 100 gal. Neighbor uses, and I have to, dishsoap from the dollar store at the rate of 1 bottle (about a pint and a half) to 200 gal. With the dishsoap or any soap you are going to have a sudz problem.