i need...

Help Support CattleToday:

This one always comes out moist and flavorful:

Creole Baked Fish

4 serving size pieces of fish - I like it with catfish but tilapia or another mild white fish would work
half onion or small onion, chopped
half green pepper or small one, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed

saute these until slightly softened. I like it done in a pat of butter and some olive oil. Turn off heat and add:
Worcestershire sauce, about 2 teaspoons
1 14.5 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
dash or three of cayenne pepper, depending how much zing you like
salt to taste

stir this together well, then spread it over the fish in a baking dish. Bake uncovered at 375 for 15 minutes or until fish flakes. I like to serve this with rice as a vessel for the extra vegetables and pan sauce.

I make this a lot, really quick and tastes great. Never made the sauce tho - not a big tartar sauce person.

Crispy Baked Catfish Nuggets
Make a double batch of these: they freeze beautifully!

Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or finely grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup plain, dry breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash white pepper
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets (5 ounces each) cut into nuggets
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Homemade Tartar Sauce
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped, drained sweet pickle or chopped, drained capers (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped, drained green olives (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Position oven rack on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray several times to coat.
3. In a shallow dish, combine cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder and white pepper. In another dish, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil.
4. Roll nuggets in lemon juice. Then, roll in cheese mixture. Dust with paprika and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place catfish on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees, and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until crust is golden and fish flakes easily. Serve with Homemade Tartar Sauce.
Combine and blend well. Serve with Crispy Baked Catfish Nuggets. Yield: about 2/3 cup (6 servings)

Notes:

Catfish nuggets may be prepared and frozen for your family to enjoy at a later date. Simply follow the above directions. Once the fish is removed from the oven, allow to cool to room temperature. Place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy again, remove fish from the freezer and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes, and reduce temperature to 350 for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until crust is golden.

Otherwise, we have a trout farm nearby, so a real easy treat is whole fish, heads on, gilled and gutted. Mix kosher salt with some fresh cracked pepper and rub the inside with a generous amount. Brush the outside with olive oil. Grill over indirect heat for 15 minutes and enjoy!

Poor Man's Lobster

Take a fillet of cod and boil in salt water til done. If thawed it doesn't take long, maybe 8 minutes.
Place on a broiling pan. Baste with melted butter. Sprinkle on paprika.
Set below the broiler for just a couple of minutes. Til sizzling on top.

I luv herfrds":2yba086l said:
Poor Man's Lobster

Take a fillet of cod and boil in salt water til done. If thawed it doesn't take long, maybe 8 minutes.
I thought the main use of cod was lutefisk!

These two fish dinners stick out for me. #1 was some white bass filets and nuggets that the fellows used lots of yellow mustard
to make your favorite batter stick. They had lots of color when cooked and tasted good. I think mustard looses its flavor a bit once deep fried. The color was awesome! Remember looks good tastes good. The second were some " fish tacos" Talapia cooked in a wok or something similiar. The rest of the taco is however you like. Corn tortillas and some cilantro and your favorite hot sauce makes for a pretty quick and easy meal. I have found since that not everybody has the same idea about fish tacos. I saw some once at a restaurant that were fish stick in a tortilla!! lol Not much imagination I suppose.

If it is a really meaty fish you can seer it or blacken it, a mild fish like salmon/cod, you can broil it or make a delicious chowder with it. There are tons of delicious ways to prepare fish, you just need to use your imagination and add your favorite ingredients. A fresh bruschetta on fish is absolutely amazing, as is a whipped butter/lemon/dill/garlic swirl that melts from the heat of the fish as you eat it.

Salmon stuffed with wild rice, minced mushrooms, chopped celery, fresh dill with lemon juice and baked or BBQ'd in tin foil is also really good. I have done this with trout as well, but it is a little tricky to keep the "fishiness" out of the stuffing. Cold water, fresh catch fish are the best for flavor and no fishy taste.

Halibut and sword fish are the best ever if they are done right, they cannot be overdone or it will ruin them.

Used to get Lake Trout when I lived in Charlevoix and my favorite recipe was to cube into about 2 inch squares and soak in dill pickle juice overnight, with some sliced onions on top....

Then put them thru an egg wash and roll in instant potato flakes (flakes not buds) and fry in peanut oil...

Serve them with cocktail sauce (we like Crosse and Blackwells the best) or make your own.

Can't make em fast enough!!!!!

Here are four good ones to get you started. Got many many more as well.

Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and french fries.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and baked beans.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and fried sweet potatoes.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and potato salad.

Sprinkle plenty of salt on fish, put fish in a bag with cornmeal and shake it around, take fish out and deep fry at 350 degrees till it looks done.

Jogeephus":2126d4ly said:

Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and french fries.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and baked beans.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and fried sweet potatoes.
Batter it and fry it in peanut oil and serve with hush puppies, slaw and potato salad.

What do you use for the batter?

GMN":3renxwp8 said:
Jogeephus":3renxwp8 said:

What do you use for the batter?

My personal favorite is Zataran's Lemon Batter but will also use corn meal. Other than trout and salmon we will always fry fish. Fried fish can't be beat. JMO

Jogeephus":3e58icw3 said:
Other than trout and salmon we will always fry fish. Fried fish can't be beat. JMO
Nothing beats a fish fry. Nothing. Have you ever tried frying salmon? I have- not too good. Salmon is however excellent grilled. We have it about once or twice a month along with grilled asparagus and a baked potato. Very easy to make on a Sunday night.

Never tried frying salmon. I don't think oily fish are good fried. I did forget to mention I don't fry trout either. Cooked in butter is tops with me. Friend raises them in baskets during the winter here and they grow really fast. Easy to catch too. :lol2:

I think the most important thing about frying fish is the oil temp that you mention. You gotta have good control on this or you'll mess them up,

That's right Jo, temp is key. Like you said, peanut oil is best because it won't start smoking and burning at 350. Cut the heat back some when you go to fry the corn dodgers.

I luv herfrds":11qyx15c said:
Poor Man's Lobster

I want to give this a try, but have a dumb question. How much salt is needed to make salt water?

L.A.":crcmt3ea said:
I luv herfrds":crcmt3ea said:
Poor Man's Lobster

I want to give this a try, but have a dumb question. How much salt is needed to make salt water?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: You find out let me know. One man's saltwater is another's margarita. :banana:

Latest posts