I like mustards

Help Support CattleToday:

You can cook greens with ham or bacon. My wife fixed some mustard greens this evening. She fixes mine plain, thanks to a low sodium diet. I put a little apple cider vinegar in them. I think they are good, wife doesn't

I don't eat any greens except spinach or turnip greens... no raw fish, kimchi. Every little hovel or big fancy house in South Korea has a bunch of stoneware pots sitting around the yard fermenting that kimchi or dried fish and squid. The whole country smells like it too.
and certainly not any fish heads and rice.
(I could tell a story about that last dish but it probably wouldn't get by moderation here at CT and sure wouldn't be a good reflection of my low virtues during my mis-spent youth in south east Asia)

Last edited:
Butch, you got me wanting to try a Beaver Mustard - I've seen it down here.
Google shows that Beaver makes several varities - which flavor do you like the most?
It was years ago and only had it at friend's house in the NW couldn't find it locally at the time and kind of forgot about seeking it out. I think it was or remember it as both Sweet & Hot. I was kind of hoping someone would know the Beaver mustards and recommend one to me. :) LOL

Beaver makes a "Sweet Hot" variety that has great reviews on Amazon. Only negative reviews are from Amazon buyers that complain they received mustard that had leaked in the package/open container, or was discolored, and not returnable as groceries. I'm gonna find some Beaver Sweet Hot Mustard locally and will report back. Glad you started this thread.

I like pickles.
The difference between a good Dill pickle and one that's just 'meh' is all about the CRUNCH. Homemade pickles are often the best. A friend's neighbor makes a good dill pickle, but he does something different or puts something in it that adds a lighter, cleaner, fresher taste. I don't know what it is, but I like it.

National brands: Claussen makes the best dill pickle.
Claussen 'cold packs' [less processing more crunch] and sells them refrigerated.

Aldi sells a refrigerated store brand they call Half Sour dills.
They're different, I can take 'em or leave 'em, they're not sour.
They taste 1/3 pickled 2/3 cucumber, okay for a change of pace in a salad.

Off the shelf, I usually buy baby dills, no particular brand, because the larger ones seldom have any crunch.

Best Bread & Butter pickles: Gedney State Fair pickles
Nita's sweet bread & butter State Fair Pickles
from Nita Schemmel's 1948 blue ribbon recipe. The thinnest sliced pickle ever.
Lots of sugar and a load of chopped peppers to mellow out the cider vinegar.
My favorite on sandwiches. Wal-Mart sells them, but sold out locally for the past 2 months, which is what got me thinking about pickles.

Anyone else have any favorites?

Last edited:
A friend's neighbor makes a good dill pickle, but he does something different or puts something in it that adds a lighter, cleaner, fresher taste. I don't know what it is, but I like it.
Probably a grape leaf or 2 in each jar. It's an old trick to make and keep pickles crunchy.

(they used to use alum but it is no longer recommended for pickling)

always use fresh small diameter cucumbers. By fresh, I mean freshly picked.
Don't pick one or 2 a day and keep adding to them until you have enough to make a batch of pickles.
At peak season, you should get enough any day to do the pickling.

Overly mature large cukes will never stay crunchy.
Processing too long will make them soft and mushy too.

Once really hot weather sets in, cucumbers are not usually good for pickling and they get bitter from the heat anyway.,

Latest posts