I like mustards

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
The 1st time I had a Beaver mustard at a friends home I said, Wow, I want this every day.
Gluden's spicy brown mustard is my usual bcs its a good all purpose mustard and it's inexpensive.
French's yellow mustard is only good for hot dogs in my opinion and nothing more.
I like Grey Poupon mustard as a creamy change of pace.

I want to try more mustards.
Do you have a favorite to recommend? What do you like pairing it with?

I've had the W/Y Chinese mustard, in little plastic packets, on egg rolls at Chinese restaurants. I can't see myself using it on anything else.
Try this Chinese mustard.
adf4caa8-dd36-4898-ae16-648325e607b4.b52b3a8bdebb3f709b28aa8f77186351.jpeg

Interesting. I knew of a few different mustards not that many.

I like French's yellow mustard in potato salad. I've realized people make potato salad entirely different.

I also like French yellow mustard on salmon patties.

It's good on top of chili.

I'm not hip on the other kinds of mustards. Don't believe it would taste good on pancakes. 😉🤣

I like hot sauce. What kind of BBQ sauces ya'll like?

I like French's yellow mustard in potato salad.
I also like French yellow mustard on salmon patties.
I like hot sauce. What kind of BBQ sauces ya'll like?
Yes, I would classify French's as a 'salad dressing' type of mustard.
I prefer to cook salmon/salmon patties with Teriyaki sauce, topping with French's would overwhelm the flavor.

Not a fan of 'heat' and prefer hot sauces on the side, so I can regulate the heat.
I love all sorts of BBQ sauces and favor the ones on the sweet side.

Aldi's sells one I really like, Burman's Sweet & Smokey Texas Style BBQ sauce.
Seems it's a seasonal item here in Minnesota with Aldi's stocking it May-October.
Wish they would carry it year round.

Last edited:
I have a couple of friends who make homemade horseradish sauce.
But their goal seems to be how hot they can make it and laugh at people trying it.
But cut with mayo/yogurt it's good and I like it as a side dressing for prime rib.

Our fave was Golding Farms Three Pepper Mustard... don't know why they stopped making it, but a few years back we bought - online - the last 12 bottles we could find. Had some issues with delivery, but finally got it here and 'hoarded' it... until it was all gone.
I've contacted folks at the company - and the lady I spoke with said it was her favorite, as well, but that there were no plans to bring it back.
In its absence, Woebers Sweet & Spicy mustard has had to do...

I like just the plain ol French's yellow mustard.
Don't want any horseradish or wasabi, something about the taste of it is stomach turning to me.
I do like some heat and spice derived from peppers, jalapenos, cayenne, a little habanero nothing real hot. I keep a bottle of Tabasco sauce around just in case something is a little bland.
For barbeque sauce, we just buy Sweet Baby Ray's.

Yes, I would classify French's as a 'salad dressing' type of mustard.
I prefer to cook salmon/salmon patties with Teriyaki sauce, topping with French's would overwhelm the flavor.

Not a fan of 'heat' and prefer hot sauces on the side, so I can regulate the heat.
I love all sorts of BBQ sauces and favor the ones on the sweet side.

Aldi's sells one I really like, Burman's Sweet & Smokey Texas Style BBQ sauce.
Seems it's a seasonal item here in Minnesota with Aldi's stocking it May-October.
Wish they would carry it year round.
If you look around up there ( depending on where in MN you are) they sell Black Dog bbq sauce it is fantastic. I try and get some every time we go up to visit. I know they sell it as far south as Detroit Lakes.

I agree that ordinary yellow mustard belongs only on hot dogs

We buy bulk mustard powder and mix it ourselves, very similar to Keen's mustard, packs quite a punch.
LOVE a good horseradish mustard on grilled cheese sandwiches
I'm a sucker for sushi as well, (tuna belly.. MMmmmmm).. gotta have wasabi for that..
For heat, I have a bottle of Blair's megadeath sauce that will last me the rest of my life, It's delicious but about the only thing I put it on is spaghetti. One drop will fire it up real good, 2 will make you put your toilet paper in the freezer.
I really like east indian spices as well, Achar is a mix of diced green mango, some kind of beans, tubers, and berries in oil.. it's mildly spicy, Awesome in meaty spaghetti sauces, #10 can of it is like $10 and goes a long way... "Gor Keri" is a kind of sweet and spicy chutney, goes real well on meats, wraps, etc

I don't see a lot of variety in mustard.

Does wasabi count as mustard?

Does horseradish count as a mustard?
Much of the Wasabi sold in eateries and in those little individual plastic squeeze packs is fake and is made with horseradish instead of from the root of the Wasabi plant. Real Wasabi (the ground up root) is very expensive, almost $100/lb.

(Not to be confused with wabi-sabi or kemosabi)

I used to mfg gourmet sauces. If you need a recipe just PM me and I will send it along if I have it. I am in AK right now but I will return home to my records before
fri.jim

Of all the things I ever put on a hot dog, the best often came from a little vendor about 15 miles from here. WHH Ranch, Sheperd Tx.
With one exception and it was absolutely NASTY!
Their Hot Dog In A Jar tasted exactly as the name implies but a NASTY hot dog. I am of the opinion that they ground up a cheap hot dog or several and mixed them in with some kind of mustard.
BAD Bad bad bad BAD!

hotdogjar.jpg

I only want mustard in two situations; the hot Chinese mustard on egg rolls, and stone ground brown mustard on sausage wraps (but only a thin layer on half the bread). If I put mustard on anything else, like a hamburger, then it seems to mask the other flavors and mustard is all I can taste.

I agree that ordinary yellow mustard belongs only on hot dogs

We buy bulk mustard powder and mix it ourselves, very similar to Keen's mustard, packs quite a punch.
LOVE a good horseradish mustard on grilled cheese sandwiches
I'm a sucker for sushi as well, (tuna belly.. MMmmmmm).. gotta have wasabi for that..
For heat, I have a bottle of Blair's megadeath sauce that will last me the rest of my life, It's delicious but about the only thing I put it on is spaghetti. One drop will fire it up real good, 2 will make you put your toilet paper in the freezer.
I really like east indian spices as well, Achar is a mix of diced green mango, some kind of beans, tubers, and berries in oil.. it's mildly spicy, Awesome in meaty spaghetti sauces, #10 can of it is like $10 and goes a long way... "Gor Keri" is a kind of sweet and spicy chutney, goes real well on meats, wraps, etc

💀 OH NO!!! 😅🤣💀 Toilet paper in the freezer!! Is it that good?! 😅🤣😂 Sounds like I need to get some for my old man. 😭😝😆

Grill cheese with jalapenos is good, even doe I don't really eat it. I used to and it was good. Just not a big cheese eater anymore.

Love wasabi on sushi and ginger.

Latest posts