I need some encouragement

Help Support CattleToday:

danielo

Reaction score
I'm interested in cattle, but I need some convincing to get into the business. Can some of you tell me your stories about how you got into the cattle business and why it is a good business?

I hate to sound this way, but if you need convincing, then don't do it. It's not an easy business. It's hard work, with hard choices. Not alot of money and the future is anyone's guess. I doubt that the current prices will hold much longer, but I could be wrong.

If raising cattle is something you've always wanted to do, then go for it. Get your infastracture together and aquire some animals. Start slow, find a mentor and learn.

Just go into it with both eyes open, this is no get rich quick thing. But the upside is if things go bad, you'll always have a plate of beef.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you.

bgm":asht1412 said:
I hate to sound this way, but if you need convincing, then don't do it. It's not an easy business.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you need to be convinced to do anything, then perhaps you don't need to do what ever that anything happens to be.

Katherine

I agree with both of the above. I got into it starting out small about 2 years ago and i find myself often regretting getting into it. It has its good and bad points. I guess what i dislike about it the most is how time consuming it is.

I like hunting, fishing, & camping. And now i can not just take off and do thoes things when i want to. When you have cattle or horses to take care of. They are alot like kids. You can not just take off when you want to. You have to plan ahead of time and get someone to look after them while you are gone. Even if it is only just a few days. And then i worry about them the hole time i am away. Wether you have just a few or a whole lot of cattle. You have a lot of money tied up in them and about the time you think you are going to get a little bit of a break. Something will happen. Your Bull may decide to break out into your neighbors pasture if one of his cows is bulling. A tree may get blown down across the fence and then you will have several or all of your cows out.

In times like this you have to worry about getting enough hay to get you through winter. Wether you get just a few head or alot. You will be tied up taking care of these things 24/7. Now if i was big enough to where i could hire people to take care of all of these head aces for me. I would probably enjoy the business.

I really thought i would really enjoy it when i was getting into it. And i do enjoy it. But it is just having to sacrafice the other things that i like doing that makes me sometimes wish i had of never got into it.

And another thing. This is just my opinion unless you have arround a hundred head and really that is not enough. You are not going to make any money to speak of. I beleave i could work at Mcdonalds and make as much clear money as someone who owns about 25 head. And put in whole lot less hours working.

But everyone has their own reasons for getting into the business. Some people just enjoy it and would not want to do anything but mess with cattle. I think alot of people are in it for tax purposes. But if i had it to do over and know what i know now. I probably would not get into it again. But since i am in it. I will probably be in it for at least another few years any how.

What ever you decide though good luck.

I agree with all above, if you don't already have a love for it forget it. And if you can't get excited about making 4 or 5 hundred dollars in a 15 month period... you can make more money flipping the burgers rather than raising them. It can't be about the money.

Alan

danielo":16686lpg said:
I'm interested in cattle, but I need some convincing to get into the business. Can some of you tell me your stories about how you got into the cattle business and why it is a good business?

You might try the "search" button. Otherwise, it seems you may have come to the wrong place.

Do not forget to close the gate when you leave the field - the rest of us have a few cows that we do not want to have to chase tonight.

Bez?

My advice is to find someone that has several head of cattle in a good pasture and visit them late in the afternoon. If they will walk with you out out into the herd slowly looking at each animal and you don't thoroughly enjoy it, then forget it as to me this is as good as it gets with cattle. All the rest is hard work that most people wouldn't think of doing if given the choice. Good luck

danielo wrote:

You might try the "search" button. Otherwise, it seems you may have come to the wrong place.

Do not forget to close the gate when you leave the field - the rest of us have a few cows that we do not want to have to chase tonight.

Bez?

Alan
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with all above, if you don't already have a love for it forget it. And if you can't get excited about making 4 or 5 hundred dollars in a 15 month period... you can make more money flipping the burgers rather than raising them. It can't be about the money.

Alan

Stepper
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with both of the above. I got into it starting out small about 2 years ago and i find myself often regretting getting into it. It has its good and bad points. I guess what i dislike about it the most is how time consuming it is.

I like hunting, fishing, & camping. And now i can not just take off and do thoes things when i want to. When you have cattle or horses to take care of. They are alot like kids. You can not just take off when you want to. You have to plan ahead of time and get someone to look after them while you are gone. Even if it is only just a few days. And then i worry about them the hole time i am away. Wether you have just a few or a whole lot of cattle. You have a lot of money tied up in them and about the time you think you are going to get a little bit of a break. Something will happen. Your Bull may decide to break out into your neighbors pasture if one of his cows is bulling. A tree may get blown down across the fence and then you will have several or all of your cows out.

In times like this you have to worry about getting enough hay to get you through winter. Wether you get just a few head or alot. You will be tied up taking care of these things 24/7. Now if i was big enough to where i could hire people to take care of all of these head aces for me. I would probably enjoy the business.

I really thought i would really enjoy it when i was getting into it. And i do enjoy it. But it is just having to sacrafice the other things that i like doing that makes me sometimes wish i had of never got into it.

And another thing. This is just my opinion unless you have arround a hundred head and really that is not enough. You are not going to make any money to speak of. I beleave i could work at Mcdonalds and make as much clear money as someone who owns about 25 head. And put in whole lot less hours working.

But everyone has their own reasons for getting into the business. Some people just enjoy it and would not want to do anything but mess with cattle. I think alot of people are in it for tax purposes. But if i had it to do over and know what i know now. I probably would not get into it again. But since i am in it. I will probably be in it for at least another few years any how.

What ever you decide though good luck.

Workinonit Farm
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:08 pm Post subject:

bgm wrote:
I hate to sound this way, but if you need convincing, then don't do it. It's not an easy business.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you need to be convinced to do anything, then perhaps you don't need to do what ever that anything happens to be.

Katherine

bgm
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:51 pm Post subject:

I hate to sound this way, but if you need convincing, then don't do it. It's not an easy business. It's hard work, with hard choices. Not alot of money and the future is anyone's guess. I doubt that the current prices will hold much longer, but I could be wrong.

If raising cattle is something you've always wanted to do, then go for it. Get your infastracture together and aquire some animals. Start slow, find a mentor and learn.

Just go into it with both eyes open, this is no get rich quick thing. But the upside is if things go bad, you'll always have a plate of beef.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you.

danielo
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:31 pm Post subject: I need some encouragement