I-10 Houston to Florida, then south on I-75

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
Leaving Wednesday morning for a wedding on Captiva Island. Anything I need to look out for, or passing close to anyone? I assume the recent hurricane damage won't be a problem by then?

Rafter S

We are 20 miles north of I-10 Pensacola exit #10. My son just came back from Tampa yesterday and said no issues from the Hurricane on I-10 or 75. Give us a holler if you have time for a stop.

Gizmom

Rafter S said:
Leaving Wednesday morning for a wedding on Captiva Island. Anything I need to look out for, or passing close to anyone? I assume the recent hurricane damage won't be a problem by then?[/quote

When you reach Houston you will pass through the inner gates to he'll. Hold on tight and do your best to keep up. Once your in there is no turning back...good luck and Godspeed.]

If I lived in Grimes County, I'd almost be tempted to jump over to I45 and take it down to 105East, and go Conroe-321 @ Cleveland-146@ Dayton down to I-10 @ Mont Belvue. (I'd rather be whipped than drive thru Houston)
(Biggest problem with the above, is traffic on 105 between Navasota and downtown Conroe)

I10 Mobile Al. can get awfully congested going through the tunnel at knock off time. Sometimes it comes to a halt. I12 Baton Rouge gets bad too. I'ld much rather drive at night.

greybeard":4ur3rnao said:
If I lived in Grimes County, I'd almost be tempted to jump over to I45 and take it down to 105East, and go Conroe-321 @ Cleveland-146@ Dayton down to I-10 @ Mont Belvue. (I'd rather be whipped than drive thru Houston)
(Biggest problem with the above, is traffic on 105 between Navasota and downtown Conroe)
Agree...105 but to Baytown...short stint on 69 runs into I-10. Using I-12 to bypass New Orleans is a must also. Once you get on the other side of Mobile, traffic disapates. Florida has good roads. I-75 can get fairly busy but my stop is in Gainesville. Looks like you will have another half days drive from their....

Have fun. Hope you have good driving weather.

Oh yeah....the bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge is an eye opener if you end up in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic....it's amazing how much it bounces as traffic goes by. You don't notice unless your sittin still.

1982vett":11adjsxa said:
Agree...105 but to Baytown...short stint on 69 runs into I-10. Using I-12 to bypass New Orleans is a must also. Once you get on the other side of Mobile, traffic disapates. Florida has good roads. I-75 can get fairly busy but my stop is in Gainesville. Looks like you will have another half days drive from their....

Have fun. Hope you have good driving weather.

Oh yeah....the bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge is an eye opener if you end up in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic....it's amazing how much it bounces as traffic goes by. You don't notice unless your sittin still.

If I don't go to Little Rock this week, I'll be in your neck of the woods Saturday--eatin Kolaches.

greybeard":2c3ru7tk said:

The traffic between Navasota and Conroe doesn't scare me. My father-in-law lives at April Sound, so I'm used to that drive. How about 105 all the way to 96 (just north of Beaumont), then 96 south to I-10? It's not Houston I'm wanting to avoid as much as the construction on 290 (I went down there for a ball game week before last, and it was pretty bad).

I don't travel far down 105 East Rafter--we just stay straight on 321 toward Dayton where 105 cuts East at Tarkington because that's the shortest/fastest route for us to go to my brother's place on Bolivar Peninsula. I haven't been to Beaumont via 105 in about 5 years.

I just talked to the girl that cuts my hair and she said they had taken105 to Beaumont recently. She said it was a good way to go, and not over 10 minutes longer than going 290 to I-10. I'll gladly give up10 minutes to avoid Houston, so I think we'll probably give it a try.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I wish we'd have time to stop along the way and visit with some of y'all that are close to our route, but I'm sure my copilot will be anxious to get there so she can see her folks. Maybe on the way home we'll have a little more time.

Just a headsup:
If you haven't left yet......I went to Conroe last night and the northern loop (336) around Conroe East of I-45 to 105 was under construction--resurfacing it.. 1 lane in both directions. They may only be working on it at night tho. Not much delay, just slower than usual.
I guess ya know to watch your speed around Dobbin and CutNShoot.

greybeard":25k2gdvd said:
Just a headsup:
If you haven't left yet......I went to Conroe last night and the northern loop (336) around Conroe East of I-45 to 105 was under construction--resurfacing it.. 1 lane in both directions. They may only be working on it at night tho. Not much delay, just slower than usual.
I guess ya know to watch your speed around Dobbin and CutNShoot.
Haha...I think it takes longer to get around the loop than it does to go through town. Last time I went through Dobbin and CutNShoot, slow traffic was so thick it wasn't possible to speed.

Latest posts