Humans are a strange species

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":3rgvz27f said:
I always wanted more and the only way to get it was by working harder. If I knew then what I know now I would of made do with less. I have a son that I missed growing up and it was not worth it. Spend as much time with your kids as possible when their young. It will be worth more than what you leave them. And the only reason I work now is for my kids and maybe grandkids someday.
One of my sons ask me one day where I was while he was growing up. That was twenty years ago and I don't have an answer, I worked all the time to provide for my family. Now he is married with two children, I'll just have to wait and see.

kerley":kfz5uyej said:
highgrit":kfz5uyej said:
I always wanted more and the only way to get it was by working harder. If I knew then what I know now I would of made do with less. I have a son that I missed growing up and it was not worth it. Spend as much time with your kids as possible when their young. It will be worth more than what you leave them. And the only reason I work now is for my kids and maybe grandkids someday.
One of my sons ask me one day where I was while he was growing up. That was twenty years ago and I don't have an answer, I worked all the time to provide for my family. Now he is married with two children, I'll just have to wait and see.

A grandfather is a father getting a second chance.

I guess I'm lucky in a sense that I have never been excited by a lot of material stuff. I guess my parents and grandparents were that way, so it just rubbed off on me. I hear people talking about wanting things, and I often can't think of a thing that I really want. I guess that's why I've never been motivated to work all the time and chase every dollar.

I remember back in the 70's that I knew what it would take to become rich. I also remember thinking that it wasn't worth what I would have to give up. So I was semi retired through my 20's and most of my 30's. I went places and did things because I could. I worked hard and I played hard. I grew up watching my Dad work 24/7. He spent very little time relaxing and enjoying himself or spending time with us. When he wasn't at his job, he was making sure that there wasn't a blade of grass out of place in his lawn. I tried to learn from that to enjoy my life. Money and material things didn't and still don't matter. Time is the one thing we have a limited supply of so I tried to spend it wisely.

Dave":2i1gnt8f said:
I remember back in the 70's that I knew what it would take to become rich. I also remember thinking that it wasn't worth what I would have to give up. So I was semi retired through my 20's and most of my 30's. I went places and did things because I could. I worked hard and I played hard. I grew up watching my Dad work 24/7. He spent very little time relaxing and enjoying himself or spending time with us. When he wasn't at his job, he was making sure that there wasn't a blade of grass out of place in his lawn. I tried to learn from that to enjoy my life. Money and material things didn't and still don't matter. Time is the one thing we have a limited supply of so I tried to spend it wisely.

I suppose there are all types. I do know people who only care to work enough to have the bare necessities. As long as they have enough money to keep smokes and pay a bill or two, they are happy; I've always wanted above that level, but never cared to work 24/7 chasing more money. I like to enjoy the simpler things in life.

TexasBred":1yw96bxx said:
I've always wanted above that level, but never cared to work 24/7 chasing more money.[/b] I like to enjoy the simpler things in life.

Tried it for 18 years. Made plenty of money but spent a few weeks at the "funny farm" too. :nod:

So, what motivates people to do this? Is it really what we want personally, or are we influenced by the environment? Do we feel the need to keep up with the Jones? I don't know. I always wondered what the purpose of working to have a really nice house was, but never being home to enjoy it due to working all the time.

Type A and type B personalities. Some just work to stay busy, doesn;t have anything to do with money, prestige, recognition. May have something to do with having it pounded in when young that "idle hands are the devils workshop", or it could be to prevent boredom.

My boys are 6 and 8. We live in the middle of the farm and I have them with me all the time.
I spend more time with them and my daughter, she's 20 than I would have been able to do if I was in my 20's.
I'm going to put up some deer stands because they want to hunt and a cannot stand the thought of sitting in a stand waiting on something but I'll do it for them.
I'm the kind I have to be running wide open or if I have burned out and have to rest I'll do nothing but even then my mind is running on what needs doing.

dun":3dop7kzs said:
Type A and type B personalities. Some just work to stay busy, doesn;t have anything to do with money, prestige, recognition. May have something to do with having it pounded in when young that "idle hands are the devils workshop", or it could be to prevent boredom.

or type C

I had a dream of the simple life, a little place in the country with a chickens, garden, orchard, few cows, horses and etc
Home everyday, sleeping in my own bed every night, eating home cooked meals, no more travel, hotels and most of all no more dealing with people.
I just couldn't afford what I wanted so I'd work til I could, then when I could, I wanted bigger and better.
It never ended I always wanted more.
I realize now I could have had all that years ago and been better off, but I always felt if I settled for less than what I wanted then I failed

Funny how peoples minds works

I killed it so I could retire at 40 and go back to the woods. I didn't make it, had to work another 10 years to pay my fines. I did learn that your guilty till proven innocent. And don't assault a federal witness. And when the government has a weak case they file Civil charges, instead of Criminal charges. Oh well at least it worked out AOK.

dun":ty1ythc8 said:
I will add that some do it because of the drive to accomplish in some way.
Stephen Covey said, "The purpose of life is to live, to learn, to love, and to leave a legacy.

I know a particular lady that recently retired after 49 years. Years before people kept asking her why she didn't retire.
It was because she liked her job and it offered her the opportunity and satisfaction of being able to help people. She was "making a difference" and knew the world would be a little better because of what she was doing.

WELL FOR ME....

every time I find a silver lining there is a thunder cloud lurking behind it to zapp my a$$.

For quite a few years I have referred to it as life under a black cloud.....

I am the living embodiment of Murphy's Law....

if the mega million lotto was to pick the winning number 1 or 2....I would miss it everytime.....

Working hard is the only way I ever got anything and usually something comes along to take it all back. I have always blamed myself for not having enough foresight and making bad decisions....but as I get older I am beginning to think it is just the way I am supposed to be....at any rate I am too old to change it now....trying to slow down and accept life and enjoy living what is left of it.....but I still got to work becasue I cannot support retirement....unless I sell everything I love.....

herofan":2za0z0ji said:
Dave":2za0z0ji said:

I suppose there are all types. I do know people who only care to work enough to have the bare necessities. As long as they have enough money to keep smokes and pay a bill or two, they are happy; I've always wanted above that level, but never cared to work 24/7 chasing more money. I like to enjoy the simpler things in life.

I made plenty of money and still worked 365 days a year when I was younger. I am tighter than a crabs ass and that is waterproof.
It didn't have anything to do with money I just liked to work, couldn't just sit. I still always have a project I am working on I just don't have to finish it today. We are all wired a little different I am OCD to the max very task orientated.

herofan":2q7321fn said:
So, what motivates people to do this? Is it really what we want personally, or are we influenced by the environment? Do we feel the need to keep up with the Jones? I don't know. I always wondered what the purpose of working to have a really nice house was, but never being home to enjoy it due to working all the time.

Wish I could answer that. Money was never that much of a driving force as we always lived a very normal lifestyle, no big cars, no desire to be looked up to. Just always wanted to be the best I could at about anything I tried and worked hard at it. After hospitalization and therapy finally learned to at least slow down and enjoy the trip no matter where you were going.

For those who say they "have" to have something to work on or a project all the time or they go nuts, what does that going nuts look like? I'm just curious because I can't imagine.

I guess i see it that in real life, we all have stuff to do as an adult, so that takes care of that; but if a magician could cast a spell and all my stuff was done and my pocket full of enough money, I would be ok. I would just take it one day at a time and enjoy myself with whatever idea hit me that day, and I'm sure a lot of it would be leisurely activities.

I'm certainly a b-type personality. I have noticed, however, that I can get more work done in a day than some get done in two. I'm not sure why that is.

herofan":3fi6z0sw said:
For those who say they "have" to have something to work on or a project all the time or they go nuts, what does that going nuts look like? I'm just curious because I can't imagine.

I guess i see it that in real life, we all have stuff to do as an adult, so that takes care of that; but if a magician could cast a spell and all my stuff was done and my pocket full of enough money, I would be ok. I would just take it one day at a time and enjoy myself with whatever idea hit me that day, and I'm sure a lot of it would be leisurely activities.

It is not pretty as I can be a registered ass.
Wife has papers to prove it.

Caustic Burno":1f57klve said:
herofan":1f57klve said:

It is not pretty as I can be a registered ass.
Wife has papers to prove it.

So, you get grumpy when you don't have anything to do? It has just the opposite affect with me. When I don't have anything that I'm pressed to do, that is when I'm the most relaxed and easy-going.

Take today, for example. My work was cancelled because of slick roads. The temps started out around 0 this morning and went up a few degrees as the day went on. I checked on the cattle and put out some hay and called it a day. There were no pressing jobs that needed doing, so I spent the rest of the day inside with coffee, watching the cattle out the back window, making some phone calls, watching a little tv, having a little computer time, and relaxing my brain. I feel very refreshed and don't feel I wasted a moment because I enjoyed it.

herofan wrote:

So, you get grumpy when you don't have anything to do? It has just the opposite affect with me. When I don't have anything that I'm pressed to do, that is when I'm the most relaxed and easy-going.

Take today, for example. My work was cancelled because of slick roads. The temps started out around 0 this morning and went up a few degrees as the day went on. I checked on the cattle and put out some hay and called it a day. There were no pressing jobs that needed doing, so I spent the rest of the day inside with coffee, watching the cattle out the back window, making some phone calls, watching a little tv, having a little computer time, and relaxing my brain. I feel very refreshed and don't feel I wasted a moment because I enjoyed it.

I do that too, once I get things about like I want them
I can sit back and in the barn, office, pickup, horseback or anywhere and not have a thing to do, but my mind is going a 100 mph
I'm making mental notes in my to do list, I'm planning my next move
I aint satisfied with anything, about the time I get things the way I want it's time to move on, maybe it's ADD

Latest posts