Humans are a strange species

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":bdfr69cp said:
Age and health have a tendency to throw a monkey wrench into things. I've spent all my life buying shabby places and fixing them up then selling and buying a bigger shabby place. I also did every thing I could to set things up for the easiest way to get the stuff done that needed doing regularly. I've always been prject driven, always had to have a couple of major things to do at the same time. With any luck I'm now on the last place I'll be. Born in a chicken coop in Duck Creek, WI and hopefully will die on a 400 acre farm in Lebanon Missouri. Still drives me nuts that I can;t do the stuff that I did even just a few years ago and find it depressing, but knowing I'm on the down hill slide makes it almost acceptable.
Other then maybe being able to be a positive affect on some one I've accomplished about all I ever will.

Dun, your words of wisdom and advice you give here on CT will leave quite a legacy.

inyati13":146co4ar said:
Before I retired, I faced the prospects before me and sought to identify a pursuit that had purpose and was noble, entertaining, motivating, rewarding, valuable, etc. I never found the "Grand Plan." What did I do? I came home to Kentucky, got a dog and started raising cattle. Many days have I sat in my tractor mowing pasture and contemplated if I should have found a higher role. I have concluded, "No." All I really do is live out my time.

I look at the question posed by your original post. Each man has the time that the natural order of the Universe gives him. Few of us will ever leave a mark that will not be washed away in only the blink of an eye. Our labors will be "dust in the wind." We all have a time of reaping coming. Better to enjoy the precious present. Reap the satisfaction in the everyday pattern of your life. Enjoy your dog. They fill the idle moments with simple joy. Watch your cows and their calves. Smile at the simple joy a cow reveals in being scratched on the tail head. Watch the sunrise and sunset. Enjoy the sky and turning of the seasons. The smell of the woods and fields. Take walks on your own land with your dog. Enjoy the fruits of your labors. At this point (my son is raised), I have no higher calling to aspire to. There is no role out there that I can say, "that is what I should be doing." So I am content to do what I am doing.

I would change all of this based on one circumstance. If I had faith in the prospects of a spiritual existence, I would pursue it with unconditional devotion. But I cannot profess with my lips what my heart and mind cannot embrace. So I will take the mortal life I have and run out my time.

Inyati, you might want to read Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament.

Bigfoot":17o97oca said:
Everyone's life experiences are not mine. I lost every worldly possession I ever owned once, and had every minutes worth of manual labor that I had ever done erased in an instant. I now spend a whole lot of my time with my kids. I used to get real carried away tightening wire, and clipping pastures. I figure in 10 years from now my kids will be about grown, but I'll still have loose wire here to deal with. I might as well pull the roping dummy for them, or take them hunting. Me and my son were checking cows this afternoon, and a big old fox squirrel ran up a tree in the middle of the pasture. I sat under that tree half an hour while he went and got his .22. The old me would have waved that squirrel off. The new me videoed him shooting at it 7 times before he hit it.

Sounds like you have it figured out the right way Bigfoot. :tiphat: The only thing you cannot buy back is time with your kids.

Bigfoot":1v72yre6 said:
Everyone's life experiences are not mine. I lost every worldly possession I ever owned once, and had every minutes worth of manual labor that I had ever done erased in an instant. I now spend a whole lot of my time with my kids. I used to get real carried away tightening wire, and clipping pastures. I figure in 10 years from now my kids will be about grown, but I'll still have loose wire here to deal with. I might as well pull the roping dummy for them, or take them hunting. Me and my son were checking cows this afternoon, and a big old fox squirrel ran up a tree in the middle of the pasture. I sat under that tree half an hour while he went and got his .22. The old me would have waved that squirrel off. The new me videoed him shooting at it 7 times before he hit it.

Bigfoot you have a good understanding
I know another guy that said he was blessed to have children when he was more mature and could appreciate them more
I had both my boys at a very young age and wasn't mature as I should have been and didn't have the money to do things like I wanted
But I was young and full of energy and I bought a boat I couldn't afford but we had a blast skiing and fishing Being in west Texas the lakes were along ways off and I was broke so we travelled and slept in a tent and cooked our own meals and those were some good times.
They were really good baseball players and to this day I still have shoulder trouble.
I threw batting practice for hours after work, then all day on the weekends, on Monday morning I could hardly use my right arm, but it was worth it
When my oldest was 16 when he beat me in a foot race for the first time and I was upset cause I thought age was catching me, then we clocked him in the 40 and he was running a 4.4 so I felt better :D

cross_7":2mypfj4x said:
Bigfoot":2mypfj4x said:

I know another guy that said he was blessed to have children when he was more mature and could appreciate them more
I had both my boys at a very young age and wasn't mature as I should have been and didn't have the money to do things like I wanted
But I was young and full of energy and I bought a boat I couldn't afford but we had a blast skiing and fishing Being in west Texas the lakes were along ways off and I was broke so we travelled and slept in a tent and cooked our own meals and those were some good times.
They were really good baseball players and to this day I still have shoulder trouble.
I threw batting practice for hours after work, then all day on the weekends, on Monday morning I could hardly use my right arm, but it was worth it
When my oldest was 16 when he beat me in a foot race for the first time and I was upset cause I thought age was catching me, then we clocked him in the 40 and he was running a 4.4 so I felt better :D

Had to laugh at this post Cross. I coached my sons for close to 10 years and threw so much batting practice that my left shoulder sounds like a box of rocks when i move it. Gonna try to get it fixed soon. Can hardly wait for that. I wonder if all those little aspiring major leagers will come and see me when i am sitting around trying to learn to use my off hand for everything.
I have to admit it's kinda cool to run into those guys with their kids and they introduce me to their kids as their coach.

3waycross":2xmr9scx said:
cross_7":2xmr9scx said:
Bigfoot":2xmr9scx said:

Reading that made a name I hadn;t thought of in almost 60 years. Jack Sirwald, he was my baseball coach for a couple of years until I discovered grils. Never even saw him after that.

Had to laugh at this post Cross. I coached my sons for close to 10 years and threw so much batting practice that my left shoulder sounds like a box of rocks when i move it. Gonna try to get it fixed soon. Can hardly wait for that. I wonder if all those little aspiring major leagers will come and see me when i am sitting around trying to learn to use my off hand for everything.
I have to admit it's kinda cool to run into those guys with their kids and they introduce me to their kids as their coach.

cross_7":1as1432m said:

Was that electronic timing or done on a Timex wrist watch?? :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2kcy0s33 said:
cross_7":2kcy0s33 said:

Hour glass.

dun":tc43g3jg said:
TexasBred":tc43g3jg said:
cross_7":tc43g3jg said:

Hour glass.

they timed me in the 40 with a sundial :frowns:

dun":2e238m66 said:
Age and health have a tendency to throw a monkey wrench into things. I've spent all my life buying shabby places and fixing them up then selling and buying a bigger shabby place. I also did every thing I could to set things up for the easiest way to get the stuff done that needed doing regularly. I've always been prject driven, always had to have a couple of major things to do at the same time. With any luck I'm now on the last place I'll be. Born in a chicken coop in Duck Creek, WI and hopefully will die on a 400 acre farm in Lebanon Missouri. Still drives me nuts that I can;t do the stuff that I did even just a few years ago and find it depressing, but knowing I'm on the down hill slide makes it almost acceptable.
Other then maybe being able to be a positive affect on some one I've accomplished about all I ever will.

Dun you and I have lots in common
I see places that have so much potential and think how I could fix them up
I become almost obsessed and then once I get it the way I want, I starting looking for something else
But like you said each step is bigger and hopefully better
Like you I want things simple and easy. I hate things that are complicated, high maintenance and breakdown
When I work calves I had rather not have any help, I like to set things up for one man and do it real easy, quiet and slow.
I love the cowboy way of life and the cowboy ways, but when it comes to cattle I'm right the opposite
I can't stand for the way some cowboys chouest(sp) cattle around
I like to keep the cattle calm and go easy on them and me, it's takes all my strength to hold back at the sale barn and to watch them whoop cattle around. I carried some calves one time to a sale barn and nearly took a whip away from a kid and used it on him and I've never sold there again.

I still can answer the original question of why I keep doing it
I know it not for my kids or grandkids, so it must be for me, but why I want it I don't know

TennesseeTuxedo":88vrfask said:
Bigfoot":88vrfask said:

You have things pretty well figured out Bigfoot. Good for you sir, you won't regret it.

I've met Bigfoot and been around his family, he's doing real good and has a lot to be proud of.

Make your efforts count. Build things to last 50 years and maybe they'll make it 25.

Anything you think you want could be a high maintenance commitment. If you enjoy the maintenance part of that project, go for it. I stay away from high maintenance. Love practical things that make my life easier or more effective.

Learn to weld. Learn to repair things correctly.

Think.

Everything else has been said.

TexasBred":3g8zejsp said:
cross_7":3g8zejsp said:

Kind of of the subject but after his junior year he was invited to a pro/college showcase in Peoria AZ at the Mlb spring training complex.
They're were all these kids there from Arizona and California.
That was an eye opener, those kids were incredible and I swear every pitcher threw 90
I was sitting down right above the scouts so I could spy on them and my son hit what I thought was a double and I said "that's 2" one of the scouts said not with that kid in center field and sure enough he cut it off in the gap and fired a laser to 2nd based, I'm sure my jaw hit the ground

A goal keeps us going. I too coached baseball for my kids and others after them. It is almost like a drug. My oldest also made senior day showcase held at Arlington stadium. The talent was amazing. He turned out not to have enough to play ball. Now educated and farms on the side. Fifteen years later and while waitin in line for a movie, a big strapping young man said, " hey coach Bill how are you doing". All the time spent coaching was worth that one moment. Of course I did not recognize him. He told me his name, introduced his wife and stated he is now an assistant superintendent in a small town down south. With our children these are the legacies we leave behind.

papavillars":1r2newpn said:
A goal keeps us going. I too coached baseball for my kids and others after them. It is almost like a drug. My oldest also made senior day showcase held at Arlington stadium. The talent was amazing. He turned out not to have enough to play ball. Now educated and farms on the side. Fifteen years later and while waitin in line for a movie, a big strapping young man said, " hey coach Bill how are you doing". All the time spent coaching was worth that one moment. Of course I did not recognize him. He told me his name, introduced his wife and stated he is now an assistant superintendent in a small town down south. With our children these are the legacies we leave behind.

You got that right. They are our true legacies. The impact we make on others lives lives on a long time........good or bad!

I've come to figure out that I'm wired quite a bit different than most people. I honestly think it has been what has made me a success in the dairy side of things as I don't quite fit the mold of most guys who do what I do. Dairymen see the drive and respect it. We always wind up as friends because we both understand what drive is and it's so rare to see it here that you tend to like others that have it.

I'm fine with being different but I can't stand it when other people don't understand it and treat me like there's something wrong with ME. I have friends (who have more drive than 90% of the population) that think I'm an A-hole because I won't go have a beer with them at 5 PM. They work one job, hire most of the stuff around the house done, take hour long lunch breaks and consider that time to be part of their work day, take week long vacations and are off every weekend, etc. When I did have that much spare time I wasn't happy. I have to have more than that out of life.

When people ask me why I work so much I tell them that everyone does something with their time. If you don't like what's on the TV screen then watching TV is hard work. If you do what you're passionate about, then it isn't work. Some days I work hard but in the grand scheme of it all I don't work anywhere near as much as most people who live in town and have just a job.

3waycross":10xrdssw said:
Hour glass.

they timed me in the 40 with a sundial :frowns:

I'd have to stop at the 20 and have a smoke and an IV.

TennesseeTuxedo":3vq2kvzp said:
When you can get paid for doing what you love you'll never work a day in your life.
Maybe that's why I said "I've never had a job I didn't love". Don't do much now. A lot of pittling around, riding around, helping when and where I can but mostly just staying out of the way. Have found volunteer work to be very enjoyable.

I have a good friend that's my age and he won't slow down. His Dad passed away to young and he's going to also. We only have one life to live here, and you better make sure you live it the way you want. I admire folks that go all out to get ahead, but if it kills you in the end it ain't worth it. Go get'em guy's, it's raining here and I going sit right here by the fire and watch the deer eat my corn.

Latest posts