How will we feed a growing world?

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb":3bljyob5 said:
cross_7":3bljyob5 said:
Nite Hawk":3bljyob5 said:
Okay, I am going to kick a bee-hive..
I do understand there is a segment of society that probably shouldn't be allowed to remain on the face of the earth, due to their own actions. However, I also understand the lack of food, and it isn't fun. Perhaps you could explain a little more in depth why you think some parts of the earth should go hungry permanantly??

Start with the blue area's
countymaprb1024-png_042659_zps3ffcab53.png

Well the blue areas happen to be where most of the people live. And what exactly do the Red and Blue represent on this map?
It is a presidential election map by county. Shocking huh? :cowboy:

In our part of the world ALACOWMAN that is where the people live is in the blackbelt region if I am not mistaken. Atlanta, Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, MS.

u4411clb said:
Depends on what year it is how shocked I would be. A little disapointed that my county is red though thought we were Democratic.[/quote] well madison co. might have been if there wasnt so many jobs there
:lol:

u4411clb":6lceov6g said:
In our part of the world ALACOWMAN that is where the people live is in the blackbelt region if I am not mistaken. Atlanta, Birmingham, Montgomery, Jackson, MS.
but think about who makes up the majority there

Kinda on subject--kinda not..

I keep hearing people say "The world is over populated".
The "world" in general, is not overpopulated, tho some congested metro areas are-(Mexico City, New Delhi,India etc). But ya ever notice that those who continually call for a reduction in population never ever offer up themselves to get the ball rolling? They always want "the other guy" to be the one to do it--preferably a guy/girl on the other side of the planet. Irony. Kinda like those who harp against logging, always going to sit ins to stop timber/lumber production, then they get in their cars at the end of the day and go home to their house built with 2x4s, beams, and plywood roof decking. I ain't once seen any of them volunteer to live in a concrete culvert or cardboard box.I guess charity really doesn't begin at home after all.

greybeard":228inhzu said:
Kinda on subject--kinda not..

I keep hearing people say "The world is over populated".
The "world" in general, is not overpopulated, tho some congested metro areas are-(Mexico City, New Delhi,India etc). But ya ever notice that those who continually call for a reduction in population never ever offer up themselves to get the ball rolling? They always want "the other guy" to be the one to do it--preferably a guy/girl on the other side of the planet. Irony. Kinda like those who harp against logging, always going to sit ins to stop timber/lumber production, then they get in their cars at the end of the day and go home to their house built with 2x4s, beams, and plywood roof decking. I ain't once seen any of them volunteer to live in a concrete culvert or cardboard box.I guess charity really doesn't begin at home after all.
Yea, thank goodness cardboard isn't made of wood. :cowboy:

Wait a minute. I live in one of those blue areas. I like to eat too much to be going hungry. And it is not my fualt how a bunch of other people voted.

Greybeard,
Like your comments..
One minute the "powers that be" say there is too many people in the world, then they start moaning that there isn't enough of the working age individuals to support their retirement funds..So what is their plan? get rid of all people of retirement age? (am not that old myself)
Was talking to one fellow one day and he started on this "too many people in the world" topic. I told him anybody that says that, and believes that, needs to lead by example and go jump off a bridge somewhere, if the presence of too many humans "contaminates" "mother earth" that badly..
Well you should have seen the eyes on him, like proverbial saucers..
Guess he never really gave it much thought before but when it came down personally it stung.
Like you said greybeard, they want to knock off someone else, but not themselves..
Was talking to a European guy one day, and he was saying how we need to get rid of all the mines etc. He had a nice new shiny truck, and snowmachine. I looked at him and told him that if it wasn't for mining he wouldn't have that nice new truck or "sled". He did some real fast back tracking.
I agree that very often the mining industry doesn't do a proper job of taking care they don't mess things up, and they need to improve their record of doing things right and not making a big mess, but like the old saying goes--
If it isn't grown, it is mined..
Think about it, it is true

robert":mimgxvvs said:
America is one of the few places on earth where the 'poor' are overweight and have personalized ringtones.....
-Nicely put, that should be on a t-shirt or bumper sticker, well said...

About a week ago, there was a headline on a pretty liberal newsite that posed nearly the same question. Who will feed the world?
Now this site is well known to be pretty alinged with animal rights, anti GMO, organic food groups.

Well I responded to the article with the idea that the American farmer will unless all the extremists shut down animal agriculture and limit plant breeding technologies that are increasing production and efficiency of the food production sytsem or regulate the food producers to death.

A few days later, I received this reply: "We could feed all the humans on the planet right now if we were not wasting land, fuel, water, and crops to feed animals for humans to eat. I am not against GMO's but I sure as heck am against subsidizing the meat industry in any way. Meat is not sustainable in any way, and certainly not "organically" or humanely. If anything, meat should be taxed like cigarettes, to try to reclaim some of the inordinate health costs associated with it."

I like to go on these site once in a while in order to judge what the lefties are saying and put out a few basic facts to keep them strait. Its amazing how many people think along the same lines as this person, that I would assume are mostly in these "blue" areas. The sad thing is if they get there way, they will be the first people to get hungry.

robert":3kqw0nt9 said:
In much of the world the problems of starvation and malnutrition have less to do with the environment to grow food than the political oppression and tumult they exist under. Freedom is the answer yet dictatorship, bureaucracy, military action against their own citizens and oppression are the norm. America is the exception, the beacon of hope and example yet even here a growing class of people think that they know what's good for us and will tell us so and an underclass on the government reservation is literally fat and happy at our expense. America is one of the few places on earth where the 'poor' are overweight and have personalized ringtones.....

Gotta borrow this one bro. ;-)

TexasBred":3fxxirfu said:
robert":3fxxirfu said:
In much of the world the problems of starvation and malnutrition have less to do with the environment to grow food than the political oppression and tumult they exist under. Freedom is the answer yet dictatorship, bureaucracy, military action against their own citizens and oppression are the norm. America is the exception, the beacon of hope and example yet even here a growing class of people think that they know what's good for us and will tell us so and an underclass on the government reservation is literally fat and happy at our expense. America is one of the few places on earth where the 'poor' are overweight and have personalized ringtones.....

Gotta borrow this one bro. ;-)

nice signature line TexasBred :D

smnherf":3nk9qemg said:
About a week ago, there was a headline on a pretty liberal newsite that posed nearly the same question. Who will feed the world?
Now this site is well known to be pretty alinged with animal rights, anti GMO, organic food groups.

Well I responded to the article with the idea that the American farmer will unless all the extremists shut down animal agriculture and limit plant breeding technologies that are increasing production and efficiency of the food production sytsem or regulate the food producers to death.

A few days later, I received this reply: "We could feed all the humans on the planet right now if we were not wasting land, fuel, water, and crops to feed animals for humans to eat. I am not against GMO's but I sure as heck am against subsidizing the meat industry in any way. Meat is not sustainable in any way, and certainly not "organically" or humanely. If anything, meat should be taxed like cigarettes, to try to reclaim some of the inordinate health costs associated with it."

I like to go on these site once in a while in order to judge what the lefties are saying and put out a few basic facts to keep them strait. Its amazing how many people think along the same lines as this person, that I would assume are mostly in these "blue" areas. The sad thing is if they get there way, they will be the first people to get hungry.
The % of folks on that type website that are true vegans is very very low, and the % that are willing to give up meat or animal products is even lower. Talk, is cheap.

A little bit of Irony: Those who consider themselves to be the most red of the red often are, were, the first to sign up for things like farm bills etc., that seems to me to quite blue in nature, some one mentioned wanting something for nothing? humph! The bottom line on food production is there are millions of acres of land that are not suitable to any type of crop production but native grass and the only use for that grass is livestock. Thus there needs to be cows. It is very questionable if Angus has any thing to add over any other kind of cow. The most efficient is the best and then they need to come right off the pasture and to the plate and skip the feedlot which often times could not include the Angus breed at all. Without the blue, farm bill "read food stamps here," most of the working poor and those who cant work because the jobs are in foreign countries will eat chicken any way if they can afford that.
Eating Beef is a rich mans meal now and will be more so in the future. :deadhorse:

Latest posts