how to get started

Help Support CattleToday:

Buy cheap ugly a-- good mamma cows at the local auction put good Angus or Brangus bull on them, stock at half of what your place will run so you will have stock piled grass so you will not have to feed a lot of hay, palpate cows and sell open cows, keep a good mineral and protein program. Operate like it was the depression days, no fancy stuff, pickups, tractors, trailers pipe pens,fancy barns ,no four wheelers,no nice fences, do not put out of pocket money into the business, if you have ever seen an Ace Reid calendar that is what your place will look like, with cheap cows when a cow gets down just let her die it will be cheaper than a vet. Pay cash for everything because interest will eat up your profit. If you can not pay for it from from your cattle sales do not buy it.

Don't you listen to any of these idiots. You might be able to make money the way they're saying, but the real cash is in show cattle. Go to a national auction and get you some high dollar heifers. Feed them top-of-the-line grain and hay so they grow out well, buy a truck and trailer, and take them to as many shows as you can manage. It's a lot of hard, hot, work, but if you do well, the prize money more than pays the rent.

You will also need a dually with at least 2 doors on each side. It will need full length running boards with lights every 6". You should put a catchy slogan on the back window, perhaps "Double V Farms. Everything else sucks."

went to the bank all they would give is $250,000, guess i have no bussiness sense. So all the advetising , hats jackets in vain even went out and bought the Double V Farms sticker for my truck, thinking about getting out of cattle and going emu all the way. If i can't make it in emu's last hope a petting zoo with a big castle in the middle of it :D

I had a customer offer me a breeding pair of alpacas, in lieu of a $30,000 invoice for repairing his plane. I did not accept. Now I'm concerned I made a mistake. That was 8 years ago, I would surely be a wealthy man by now. He was from MO. I should have trusted him. Hind sight :(

Ouachita":1va61aee said:
I had a customer offer me a breeding pair of alpacas, in lieu of a $30,000 invoice for repairing his plane. I did not accept. Now I'm concerned I made a mistake. That was 8 years ago, I would surely be a wealthy man by now. He was from MO. I should have trusted him. Hind sight :(

I would say that your foresight was 20/20 on that one. My momma is from Mo. Believe me when I say those folks are not to be trusted. I still can hear those famous last words,"come on back in here I ain't a gonna whip you". :frowns: don't trust em :shock: :cry2:

3waycross":1wr1vef7 said:
Ouachita":1wr1vef7 said:

I would say that your foresight was 20/20 on that one. My momma is from Mo. Believe me when I say those folks are not to be trusted. I still can hear those famous last words,"come on back in here I ain't a gonna whip you". :frowns: don't trust em :shock: :cry2:

I appreciate the words of encouragement 3way, but I fear I have made a grave mistake in not taking that offer. The guy even offered to "SHOW ME" how I could benefit from the transaction, and I refused. Oh the opportunities I've let slip away.........

double v":ywt0fvz3 said:
just got a great deal on some porupines think is a great start to a petting zoo??

How about a combination petting zoo and rehab center........a little pain.........a little pleasure. The celebs will be lining up for miles!

double v":6jb16hsd said:
just got a great deal on some porupines think is a great start to a petting zoo??
A friend of a friend of mine can do you a great deal on mature salt water crocodiles. There are some docility issues but they can be kept happy with a cow once a year and leaving them to lie on the bottom of the pond.

Old_man_emu":18903pgn said:
double v":18903pgn said:
A friend of a friend of mine can do you a great deal on mature salt water crocodiles. There are some docility issues but they can be kept happy with a cow once a year and leaving them to lie on the bottom of the pond.
They have great mothering ability though.

jedstivers":rbvhza06 said:
Old_man_emu":rbvhza06 said:
double v":rbvhza06 said:
Oh yeah, super protective! I am considering raising a pair with my cows as guardian animals. You have to have 2 so one can keep an eye on the calves while the other is swimming.

Old_man_emu":10b50w5s said:
jedstivers":10b50w5s said:
Old_man_emu":10b50w5s said:
Oh yeah, super protective! I am considering raising a pair with my cows as guardian animals. You have to have 2 so one can keep an eye on the calves while the other is swimming.

Not so sure I agree. I have heard the Vet Dental bills are astronomical. Might want to put a pencil to that before you jump in the water with both feet.

Latest posts