how to get started

Help Support CattleToday:

Do not forget to partner up with someone, buy 1/2 interest in his cows but pay for everything, then submit a bill to him then he tells you you owe him money! :devil2: buy a high dollar bul with him and trust him every step of the way after. A cool 50,000, ask what am I doing :bang:

It is all very funny to say buy a llama and a helicopter but on a serious note this young fellas wanting to have a go which is fantastic and we shouldn't discourage a young fella interested in Livestock.

As for the breed of cattle....Ask yourself a 1 question.
1) what is your intended end market
e.g. selling purebred bulls, early turn off steers/heifers, self replacing females, grass finished or longterm feedlot.
If the answer is turning off finished calves early (short term grain fed or grass/milk finished) then cross-breeding has huge advantage. My suggestion is commercial Angus or Angus/Hereford X cows with a Black Euro breed as a sire (Black Limousin or Black Simmental)
- Longterm feedlotting depends on the end supplier but there would be premiums for straight Angus in this job.

My suggestion is buy some commercial middle aged Angus or Angus X cows of good commercial breeding which should be slightly more affordable and then select the bull that would be tailored to your end market. Don't be sucked in by bred/breeders marketing as at the end of the day the end user/processor/consumer is the one that pays you and demands a certain product.

Good luck!

As for land maybe adjistment or leasing some grass land. Another way is if you already work on a beef farm to ask them if they are willing to park some of your cows as part of your wage. They may even give you a couple to start rather than give you a higher pay.

As for Corriente, Texas Longhorn cattle or any other tropical (Bos Indicus) breed. I wouldn't be using them unless you live in the environment these cattle are purpose built for.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone but these cattle suit the tropics but often don't suit markets in other parts due to the way their meat grades, temperament and if your selling them live at auction anything with ear in parts other than the tropics can be heavily discounted.

I would say to get the emus... also buy some ostriches.. and dont forget the pot bellied pigs on the side....

Put them all in a huge indoor barn and that way you can go take care of them all at once...

AussieLim":1n75dpcn said:
As for Corriente, Texas Longhorn cattle or any other tropical (Bos Indicus) breed. I wouldn't be using them unless you live in the environment these cattle are purpose built for.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone but these cattle suit the tropics but often don't suit markets in other parts due to the way their meat grades, temperament and if your selling them live at auction anything with ear in parts other than the tropics can be heavily discounted.
those 2 or bos taurus breeds

Limomike":okn8063r said:
I would say to get the emus... also buy some ostriches.. and dont forget the pot bellied pigs on the side....

Put them all in a huge indoor barn and that way you can go take care of them all at once...
Years ago a friend of mine got into the ostrich business. All along 3 sides of his property were alfalfa fields. I don;t know how they did it but they were always getting out and living in the alfafa fields. You hsould see the fun in trying to herd ostriches in an unfenced 300 acre field.

HA.. I would have liked to have seen that.. always wondered how u herd and ostrich...???

Old_man_emu":1cuc1h53 said:
ALACOWMAN":1cuc1h53 said:
Limomike":1cuc1h53 said:
HA.. I would have liked to have seen that.. always wondered how u herd and ostrich...???
i know how id do it
With a shot gun?
A rifle works better! At least it does with emus, anyway a T/C Contender in 219 Donaldson Wasp works good

How to get started in the cattle business: Dive in with both feet! Then look around and say "OH CRAP"! Then find an internet forum about cattle and go there to complain about prices (high or low), hay\feed prices or shortages, and how much these big stupid animals cost you every week\month\year. Then when people ask you "If it costs so much why are you still doing it?", tell them "I'm waiting to get some return on my investment", or "I do it because I love it". Thats the way I did it anyway.

You guys forgot that you need organic, grassfed, sustainable, local, hormone free, non-factory farm, antiobiotic free, beef- fed gluten free non-gmo feed.

Douglas":3ay577s6 said:
You guys forgot that you need organic, grassfed, sustainable, local, hormone free, non-factory farm, antiobiotic free, beef- fed gluten free non-gmo feed.
Gee, my crocodiles ain't that fussy!

Douglas":2tl3i65s said:

Awww...I was gonna say that....

Latest posts