How soon to Re-Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
I have a 8-10 year old cow that calved on March 5th. Would it be to soon to start a synch program on the 15th and attempt to AI on the 25th? I could wait and do her first service with anything that didnt take the first time. She was a little later calving than I was hoping for but, I would like to get her on track with most of the herd.

That's pretty soon. Most cows need 30-45 days at least after calving to cycle. But I don't know apsquat about AI.

I guess she will get one chance at it then (on the 2nd service). Good cow just dont want to hang on to her open until next year. I won't attempt to keep her around and breed her out of synch with the rest.

I have never tried one that early with AI. I have had cows serviced by a bull in that short of a time span. It is very uncommon though. I would think it would be a waste of money.

it usually take give or take 45 days to cycle again and most cows i would say 80 to 90 % wont settle the first time i would let her cycle then AI her on a natural heat if you can catch her before the bull does.

angusdave63":2w84bqpy said:
it usually take give or take 45 days to cycle again and most cows i would say 80 to 90 % wont settle the first time i would let her cycle then AI her on a natural heat if you can catch her before the bull does.
I second this.....that has been my experience as well.

Most synch programs recommend waiting 45-50 days after calving before starting the program. If it was natural service you can rebreed her as soon as she is able to settle.

I have a black baldie cow that breeds back quick and calves earlier each year. Last year she had a heifer around the middle of january then had a bull calf on thanksgiving morning.

The usual synch protocol - gnrh + prostaglandin will work on aneostrus cows.
I personally wouldn't recommend it for cows less than 6 weeks after calving. I've done it, on that small group of cows the closest to calving then showed a distinct tendency to irregular and missed heats.
She can be mated to a natural heat at any time after calving, first heat may have a lower conception rate but in my situation it's worth sticking a straw in her even if it's only ten days after calving, maybe different if you have to get her out of the herd and get a technician in or want her to hold to expensive semen - then wait for the second cycle for a better chance.

ousoonerfan22":3fg6xixy said:
I have a black baldie cow that breeds back quick and calves earlier each year. Last year she had a heifer around the middle of january then had a bull calf on thanksgiving morning.

I would't let her get away. Maybe take a look at her heifers too.

I don't know if breed-back times are closely related to first-cycle age, but if they are, it could be a double-edged sword if you have bulls around 7 month old heifer calves... Just a thought

I've had many cows breed back after about 3 weeks naturally mated to a bull, don't know how that works with synching and AI though... One of my cows does best breeding back as soon as possible after calving, if you wait 3 months after she calves to expose her to the bull, she doesn't take... I found out with her help that I had a mineral deficiency and I'll see how she does in future years... This year she's due in august, but I'd lay money that by fall time she won't have the smallest calf, which is the reason I'll hold on to her... that and the fact that it may not be her genetic fault for not breeding back. She's one of the heaviest milkers and she depletes her mineral stores as she lactates, hence breeding back well if exposed early, and being all out of gumption to breed back if exposed late

Latest posts