How much will I spend for some "good" bred angus h

Help Support CattleToday:

I think you can find good Angus purebreds for the range that you stated. Join the state Angus Association, find small breeders that do not have their own production sale and contact them directly, go see what they have and haggle.

We sell some through the sale barn, but they are the ones we don't like, want or think are good enough to sell private treaty - not going to ruin our reputation on bad stock, therefore off to the sale barn with out any fanfare that they are registered and we don't give papers with them.

Billy

Saltydawg":2kp350i3 said:
You're close to Erie?

If so that seems like a solid deal you have lined up.

I wouldn't worry about the papers or not. There's enough old farts buying up here to know papers are what you read while sitting on the throne.
Baldies will get you an extra 100 bucks a calf over pure black or straight hereford around here.

I am "close" to Erie. About 3 hours East of there.

So I got the cows Sunday afternoon, when I woke up this morning, I was glad to see the 28,000 feet of high tensile wire we put up worked. :)

I am pretty happy w/ the cows. Honestly I would say they are very common looking. Having a background in Holsteins, when we were in the pasture, I was suprised at how short beef cows are!

Anyway, I ended up with 3 Herford Cows w/ calves, one Charlolais cow w/ calf and one Herford bred heifer. Granted, none of these are pure breds and none of them are show cows but for 1,200 per pair and 800 for the heifer these cows should be some good "feet wet" animals for me. Like I said, I had a dairy farm in the 80's, although beef cows are similar, there are still quite a few differences. I've got loads of questions and and thank everyone that has helped me so far.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get my courage up!

Thanks-
Scott[/quote]

my opinion: murray greys are "improved angus". There are
80+ listings on the internet auction going on right now....
and some from an organic farm in New York. Here's the
link to the "gallery" page that shows thumbnail photos
of the selection:

http://tinyurl.com/rmzdf

The prices are in the same range or lower as mentioned all
through this thread.

good luck!

sounds like you've got a good start. would love to see pics. My husband and I bought an abandoned pot bellied pig sanctuary -- so when we started, we bought cheap, then worked our way around to some nice commercial and a few registered. :)

millstreaminn":3gebv248 said:
Saltydawg":3gebv248 said:
You're close to Erie?

If so that seems like a solid deal you have lined up.

I wouldn't worry about the papers or not. There's enough old farts buying up here to know papers are what you read while sitting on the throne.
Baldies will get you an extra 100 bucks a calf over pure black or straight hereford around here.

I am "close" to Erie. About 3 hours East of there.

So I got the cows Sunday afternoon, when I woke up this morning, I was glad to see the 28,000 feet of high tensile wire we put up worked. :)

I am pretty happy w/ the cows. Honestly I would say they are very common looking. Having a background in Holsteins, when we were in the pasture, I was suprised at how short beef cows are!

Anyway, I ended up with 3 Herford Cows w/ calves, one Charlolais cow w/ calf and one Herford bred heifer. Granted, none of these are pure breds and none of them are show cows but for 1,200 per pair and 800 for the heifer these cows should be some good "feet wet" animals for me. Like I said, I had a dairy farm in the 80's, although beef cows are similar, there are still quite a few differences. I've got loads of questions and and thank everyone that has helped me so far.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get my courage up!

Thanks-
Scott
[/quote]

If they are all bred and have calves at their sides you did ok in my opinion.
Yes the Herefords will be shorter than the average Holstein, your Charolais might get close to same height.

I think you'll find the Herefords much easier to keep than the Holsteins and you don't have to milk them :lol: . (although you don't get any milk checks either hehe)

Good luck with your operation, as you can see in my avatar I am partial to herefords :cboy:

I run registered Angus. I tend to think buying private treaty is the way to go. Get to know the breeder. Spend some time with potential animals. You also don't have the frenzy of competition at an auction. Best bet is to buy young bred cows or 3 in 1. Figure anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 depending on the source. Good luck! Bob

At a Red Angus production sale last week-end the bred cows ran from 1300 to4600, but the average was around 1450 or so.

dun

dun":3d9w9y7t said:
At a Red Angus production sale last week-end the bred cows ran from 1300 to4600, but the average was around 1450 or so.

dun

Here are the results of the "Angus on Parade" sale that I was going to attend last weekend. *Copied from Brubakersales.com*

Sale Gross: $ 89,610.00
16 Spring Open Heifers averaged: $1,977.00
10 Bred Heifers averaged: $2,296.00
5 Open Fall Yearling Heifers averaged: $1,800.00
1 Cow/Calf Pair averaged: $8,500.00
1 Bull averaged: $4,000.00
1 ET Heifer Pregnancy averaged: $11,900.00

I'll keep looking for some... I'm just gonna have to be happy with my old scurs for a bit... :)

Latest posts