How much will I spend for some "good" bred angus h

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I am about ready to purchase some registered angus heifers and was wondering what I can expect to pay for some good ones. Show cows? No. Flush potential? No. I am just looking for some good looking, hard working, honest cattle.

I've been in the registered holstein business and sold some cows for 3,000+ As I have been away from farming for the better part of 15 years, I was just wondering what I should expect to pay for some good bred heifers or springers. Anyone have any to sell in the Pa, Ny or Ohio area? Thanks--Scott

You can buy good Angus heifers for the same price as commercial heifers. This isn't just average stock, but from high dollar donor cows. The big prices you see from sales, are a very small percentage of the overall breed. Even the big name breeders, sell several in the $1k to $2k range. Look at complete sale reports, not just the high sellers.

6M Ranch":3eduvuks said:
You can buy good Angus heifers for the same price as commercial heifers. This isn't just average stock, but from high dollar donor cows. The big prices you see from sales, are a very small percentage of the overall breed. Even the big name breeders, sell several in the $1k to $2k range. Look at complete sale reports, not just the high sellers.

That's good to hear. I was planning on spending 1700-2000 each on them. I just wanted to have an idea of what I should plan to spend. Don't really like sticker shock... :shock:

I have been trying to get to the sale barns and managed to make a couple of sales. I am not buying anything yet, just looking. I have been seeing a few registered angus come through and they are pretty much fetching the same nickels as everything else. The spotter calls out that the animals are registered when they hit the ring. I saw a good looking young bull get P.O.'d at Mineral Wells. He only brought $700 so the owner decided not to sell. The bull certainly was worth more but everyone there was apparently looking for baldies, brangus - or anything with some ear. It is the drought and the climate here doing that to the angus breed in general.

Well I am going to the PA on Parade Angus sale in Harrisburg this Saturday. Gonna be about a 5 hour drive for me each way. I've posted a link to the catalog if anyone is interested. Is there going to be anything there in my price range? Man, I've got a steep learning curve to conquer. I'm trying to avoid be the one that everyone at the auction says, "Man. He must have more money than brains!!!" :lol:

http://www.brubakersales.com/PAOnParadelr-1.pdf

http://www.brubakersales.com/PAOnParadelr-2.pdf

My suggestion is to try to find out how cattle sold in that sale last year. Maybe contact the sale managers and ask, not just the high sellers but all the cattle. I looked at the links a bit. It seems the cattle are aimed at the show ring? There's nothing wrong with that; lots of money to be made selling show heifers. But in the Angus breed, there's often a lot of difference in performance cattle and show cattle. If you're not planning to sell show heifers, you might want to look other places for calves.

Here in OK there are several regional sales, OKT, Northeast, Great Plains and TX has several, too, ALOT, Mid-Tex... You can often buy heifers with the same genetics at those sales from smaller, individual breeders, that you would buy at a production sale for more money.

Don't get in a hurry. Take time to look around, attend some sales and decide where you're headed with your program. But welcome to the Angus breed. I hope it's as much fun for you as it has been for us and that you can make some money, too. :D

I contacted the sale manager and he said last years sale averaged 2490.00 and this sale looks to be similar. I'm really looking forward to getting some cows back on my property. 15 years is far too long to be away from cattle...

Scott

millstreaminn":37zghe8y said:
I contacted the sale manager and he said last years sale averaged 2490.00 and this sale looks to be similar. I'm really looking forward to getting some cows back on my property. 15 years is far too long to be away from cattle...

Scott

just try to remember that waiting a few weeks or months to find the right animals will probably pay off in the end.

the Virginia Angus Spotlight Female sale is this coming Monday and there are always good females there.

full catalog: http://www.vaangus.org/SpotlightCat2006lr.pdf (3.17 MB)

You might just look at the sale as a learning process, rather than buying. Go to the AAA website, and find breeders in your area. More than likely, you can buy decent heifers private treaty, for a lot less money.

millstreaminn":axp344nj said:
I am about ready to purchase some registered angus heifers and was wondering what I can expect to pay for some good ones. Show cows? No. Flush potential? No. I am just looking for some good looking, hard working, honest cattle.

This question is not to knock your plan but for my own education. It sounds as if you're just looking for good stock cows to build a commercial herd. If that is the case, is it really that much more beneficial to buy registered Angus? I started my herd with some Angus cross heifers. Everyone always comments on what nice looking cows they are and I paid only about $800 apiece for them. I'm just wondering if there is enough of a benefit to purebred vs. just good black cows come calf selling time to make it worth paying twice as much for the original stock. Again, just wondering. Might help me down the road.

I only have about 60 acres I can work with so I am not looking to do this to make a living. I guess I am hung up on registered cattle because I had registered holsteins when I got out of high school. I guess honestly, if someone ever looks at my cows and compliments them, I would just like to say, "yeah, they're registered."

Okay, so I slept on it and I have changed my mind. Again.... I am not going to purchase any registered Angus, at least not right away. I was talking to the guy that I bought my high tensile fence from and he is reducing his beef herd from 65 to 25 cow/calf pairs before winter. He's got Herford and Angus cows/w March calves by their side and the cows are preg checked safe again to his Angus bull. The cows are between 3 and 5 years old. He wants 1,200.00 cash for the pairs. The cows are in good flesh, calves look good also. It seems like a really good deal so I told him I would take 4 pair. I'm planning to pick them up this weekend so I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.

millstreaminn":21y9znbs said:
Okay, so I slept on it and I have changed my mind. Again.... I am not going to purchase any registered Angus, at least not right away. I was talking to the guy that I bought my high tensile fence from and he is reducing his beef herd from 65 to 25 cow/calf pairs before winter. He's got Herford and Angus cows/w March calves by their side and the cows are preg checked safe again to his Angus bull. The cows are between 3 and 5 years old. He wants 1,200.00 cash for the pairs. The cows are in good flesh, calves look good also. It seems like a really good deal so I told him I would take 4 pair. I'm planning to pick them up this weekend so I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.

I hope we didn't discourage you about getting into the registered cattle business. :( It's fun and you can make money; but I've seen so many people jump out and buy pretty Angus heifers only to find out they weren't what he needed in his program. I wish we'd had someone to caution us when we got started in the Angus business. This sounds like a good deal; attend some Angus sales, meet some people, and you can always buy some nice heifers later.

millstreaminn":16cfxyqv said:
The cows are between 3 and 5 years old. He wants 1,200.00 cash for the pairs. The cows are in good flesh, calves look good also. It seems like a really good deal so I told him I would take 4 pair.
If these aree really good quality cattle it would be one of the best deals I've heard of in a long time. The calves at side could bring back close to 1/2 of the $1200.00 that you are paying, then you have a cow that should be close bred.

millstreaminn":3t4vq61j said:
He's got Herford and Angus cows/w March calves by their side and the cows are preg checked safe again to his Angus bull. The cows are between 3 and 5 years old. He wants 1,200.00 cash for the pairs. The cows are in good flesh, calves look good also. It seems like a really good deal so I told him I would take 4 pair. I'm planning to pick them up this weekend so I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.

I don't know a thing about your area but, in my area that would be one heckuva deal! I would be very interested in pictures, thanks! :)

You're close to Erie?

If so that seems like a solid deal you have lined up.

I wouldn't worry about the papers or not. There's enough old farts buying up here to know papers are what you read while sitting on the throne.
Baldies will get you an extra 100 bucks a calf over pure black or straight hereford around here.

Latest posts