How I got my start in ranching

Help Support CattleToday:

Why are you so intent on knowing where I am from? Why do you care? I am a cattleman like everyone else. I am also a veteran.

Hasim
Lubbock, TX

Veteran in what country? Why are you so worried about people knowing where you are from. What's the big deal?

Give Hasim a break. His earlier post said he was a Navy vet,14 years as I recall. I'm sure he is d**n sick and tired of being tied to a bunch of wackos from the middle east, just because of his ethnic background. My family came from Germany,no one ever accused them of being nazis. You don't have to agree with his religious beliefs,but this board is not the place for that discussion anyway. He said he was from Lubbock,that should be enough.

Chuck":2k2klriw said:
Give Hasim a break. His earlier post said he was a Navy vet,14 years as I recall. I'm sure he is d**n sick and tired of being tied to a bunch of wackos from the middle east, just because of his ethnic background. My family came from Germany,no one ever accused them of being nazis. You don't have to agree with his religious beliefs,but this board is not the place for that discussion anyway. He said he was from Lubbock,that should be enough.
His previous post also misspelled turban. I would think an arab would know how to spell that. I think Hasim is a fake. I think his real name is someone we know and someone that has a point to make.

ollie":1tjvp317 said:
Chuck":1tjvp317 said:
His previous post also misspelled turban. I would think an arab would know how to spell that. I think Hasim is a fake. I think his real name is someone we know and someone that has a point to make.
Ollie
I have to agree with you. No arab or Jordanian would mispell "turban , turbine."That is like an American mispelling Hat. I think hassim is a fake also.

maybe he was talking about a water wheel.. where did you guys see something about a turbine/turban?

I had notice the turbine spelling and think he's fake also. I don't care if he's a real Arab or not. If he is an American citizen and wants to Americanize himself and his attitude, fine with me. If he 1) is not a full blown citizen, or 2) expects one iota of special treatment for his name, religion, attitude, etc. he can catch the first leaky barge back home.

Craig-TX

Hello to all,

Marty, I hope you are staying safe over there, and I thank you for your courage and honor.

I am looking in to getting back into the cattle industry, but it has been a while since I have been around it. Somewhere around 16 years and I am only 23, so I have got a task ahead of me. Just so you know I have made a good deal of money from various stock investments and a couple of companies I have owned. I am looking to find something that I can keep in my family and pass down generation to generation that involves passion, dedication, and patience.

On with the questions:

When sold at auction or barnsales, are the cattle sold for processing?

How much does it cost to have your cattle butchered?

Would it be viable to open a restaurant using the cattle you raise and thats the only beef you sell??

I will ask more later, but don't want to push the envelope.

Cordially,

Jacob

Cattle are sold for just about any reason you can think of, and bought by others for several reasons. A lot of cows, steers, and bulls are sold for butcher at salebarns. Someone else will have to weigh in on butcher prices; we have a special rate with our butcher as Dad trades Alaskan halibut and salmon. Butcher shops are becoming hard to find in places, the cost of having a full time meat inspector there is what kills a lot of small town shops. Restaurant's? I've thought of that too but for me the location would be bad; lots of small town businesses going under. It wouldn't be hard to serve a better steak than what you can find in most restaurants. If you can find a niche, that would go a long way. We came across a cattleman that bought a quickstop gas station and sells his own processed beef there, he has a little bit of everything for sell which helps.

Cattle are sold for just about any reason you can think of, and bought by others for several reasons. A lot of cows, steers, and bulls are sold for butcher at salebarns. Someone else will have to weigh in on butcher prices; we have a special rate with our butcher as Dad trades Alaskan halibut and salmon. Butcher shops are becoming hard to find in places, the cost of having a full time meat inspector there is what kills a lot of small town shops. Restaurant's? I've thought of that too but for me the location would be bad; lots of small town businesses going under. It wouldn't be hard to serve a better steak than what you can find in most restaurants. If you can find a niche, that would go a long way. We came across a cattleman that bought a quickstop gas station and sells his own processed beef there, he has a little bit of everything for sell which helps.

Latest posts