How Grandpa Called The Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Cypress - Check your Farmer's Almanac. I was reading one in my deerstand the other day and came across a section on that exact topic. That book is amazing!

I've often thought that it would be a neat idea to put loudspeakers on the top of the barn and play Eddie Arnold's "Cattle Call". That would sure sound great echoing through the hills and hollows!

I don't remember what method my Grandpa used to determine when to work the calves, I just remember he was always right. I think the almanac is supposed to be a good guide.

We always thought it was some kind of hoodoo he brought from the old country like a lot of the folk medicine they used but, whatever it was it worked.

We just yelling;" Barley Time, Come and Git It." Then we jump back into the truck or the other side of the fence because the stampede was coming.
Sparky had a neighbor south of us who fed their cows only straw with anapro. I would go get my kid from the bus with the feed truck and these cows would chase me along their fenceline. Always worried me that one day they would break through and follow me home. No I did not have a bale in the back, but they could smell that little bit of hay we didn't get swept out.

I have a large dinner bell. I ring this bell and they know feedtime is here. That way I can be on the four wheeler or trunk and they don't pay me any attention. A bell can also be heard a long ways off.

We always call our cows by yelling "Come oooonnnn" "Come oooonnnn girls" serval times. We really draw out the "on" word. They usually will come a running. It is funny that they will not come for just anyone that says it. My husband and I can get them to come better than our kids.

I just holler sooooouuuuuupp real loud and they come running. I trained them to it by saying it while feeding them. Smart critters. Don't know why I use that.

This is what I have heard and go by............. don't wean when sign is in the head, lots of bawling calves far longer than necessary....
don't castrate when its in the heart, lots of blood.......... castrate when in the knees (best), legs or feet.

If they don't start coming up (which is what they usually do) the minute they see ya......... then I call em "suuuuu calf, suuu calf, come on, come on girls, sooook soook ".......... then call a few of them by name (the piggy ones, haha)

MoGal":2kqzi8sf said:
This is what I have heard and go by............. don't wean when sign is in the head, lots of bawling calves far longer than necessary....
don't castrate when its in the heart, lots of blood.......... castrate when in the knees (best), legs or feet.

If they don't start coming up (which is what they usually do) the minute they see ya......... then I call em "suuuuu calf, suuu calf, come on, come on girls, sooook soook ".......... then call a few of them by name (the piggy ones, haha)

This is basically what My Grandpa said, he would say don't cut or dehorn unless the blood was in the legs. Where do you get your info as to where the blood is. Almanac??????

It is all what they get accustomed to. Your "tone of voice" has more to do with it than what you say. They are not stupid, in spite of what you call them at times! When I was working cattle years ago, I would say "WA - WA - WA - WA - WA - WHOOO BABE!" once or twice - and here they would come! :welcome: A little reward always helped, but not every single time would I reward them. Kept them guessing! :lol2: :nod:

DOC HARRIS

3waycross ......... My feedstore has them good calendars.... each day lists what sign its in. I've looked it over and can't even find who makes these calendars.... but yes you could look in the almanac as well.

Latest posts