How do you make a good flood gap

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to make a flood gap approx 25 ft across a creek 10 ft dp. I will be running 2 strand hot high tensil barb wire up to it. Thanks :roll:

We set 2 big telephone poles on each side of the creek, independent from the rest of the fence just in cas they do get washed out it doesn't take all your fence with it. Then run a cable across the poles and hang panels from the cable. Cut the panels to follow the creekbanks and they will swing to some degree to let debris go under. You can also use tin sheets but I think that lets the debris through easier.

sidney411":2837scyo said:
We set 2 big telephone poles on each side of the creek, independent from the rest of the fence just in cas they do get washed out it doesn't take all your fence with it.

Are you talking an independent H-brace on each side?

Maybe a picture?

Best one I have is a cable strung across the creek(only 15 ft)
Then I took metal wire (I get off a byproduct) Its really stiff you can bend it by hand but not all the way and it bounces back straight.

I used clamps and made a drop with them every 5 inches aong the cable. And cut them to follow the cut of the creek. and keep them just out of the water except when its flooded. Trash just goes right on by-- I can disconnect it during long term floods so it doesn't keep the fence shorted for very long.
If I get the extra money I am going to check into a solar panel to power it- so that it doesn't ever short the fence.

Its impressive looking-- so most cattle don't even mess with it. I have thought of trying it unpowered to see how it works-- not brave enough with the type of cattle I have now.

RAWCJW":1cckwz7k said:
I need some ideas on how to make a flood gap approx 25 ft across a creek 10 ft dp. I will be running 2 strand hot high tensil barb wire up to it. Thanks :roll:

Alright son here goes as I am have a pile of them, Get cable like is guy wire off a telephobe pole run one about 4 feet above the water line tied off to big tree on both sides with cable clamps. Run the second cable about 2 foot lower, now hang sheet tin from the top cable. In a flood water pushes it open and it doesn't get stopped up. When the water goes back down it rest against the bottom cable.

RAWCJW":17sns8kq said:

If you are going to use electric wire for your flood gap, there is a device called an energy limiter which will disconnect the attached portion of the fence whenever the load (due to high water, grass, etc)gets to high on that part of the fence & reconnect when the load is reduced, keeping the rest of the fence hot. See this link for more info:

http://www.kencove.com/ShopItems.php?ca ... c+Supplies

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

Caustic? that sounds like a good idea but how do you keep the cows from pushing the tin up and walking under it. I know cattle don't tend to go through solid looking objects. (used a tarp once as a temp fence but wouldn't won't to go to sleep like that.) if the water is running into the pasture i can see it working good. but the other way scares me.

triple'S'":2hx7j7wr said:
Caustic? that sounds like a good idea but how do you keep the cows from pushing the tin up and walking under it. I know cattle don't tend to go through solid looking objects. (used a tarp once as a temp fence but wouldn't won't to go to sleep like that.) if the water is running into the pasture i can see it working good. but the other way scares me.

The tin has them BS'ed they don't even try it. Neighbor tried plastic barrel and they would go through them. The tin presents itself as a solid wall and it is all wired together as one sheet. This is spaned across the creeks on my place spring fed run 365. Also the second cable run across the creek even if they were to push the tin they have to step in between the cables.

96.jpg

Here ya go, this is a pic of one of our flood gaps....the tin is hung on a cable that was on an electric line that ran across our place that is no longer bein used......copper cable (three twisted strands) as the water goes under the tin floats with the flow...if anything big comes thru and rips it down, not much to go back and restring, and hang somemore tin.

sorry I didn't come back sooner but looks like you got your answers. Yes, I put the water gaps completely seperate from the fence so if it gets ripped down the fence doesn't go with it. You could use trees as long as they are located where you need them and big enough to handle the pressure if the water gets up and is really moving it can exert a LOT of pressure on the cables. we use aircraft cable.

I do pretty much the same as Caustic. I run the cable through pvc pipe and lag bolt the tin to the pvc. I also use a comalong on one side to apply tension. With bad water nothings gonna hold forever but this has been the best principle so far.Caustic is right about them being bs'ed and not challenging it.

I fixed many water gaps.. Its like a tootie roll, plactic barrels wraped in woven wire , twisted on top..They will float.. or drill a big hole in center run cable or steel pipe in it..or place wrapped barrels at the bottom a gate the width of the water..then run the wraped barrels along the ban k were the cattle seem t otest the fence..they cant get to the fence..fixed a lot of them... cost very less use woven wiire that in the ditch...

You should see some of the water gaps your tax dollars have built on private ranches in the name of wildlife management. Some of the mostly absentee owners can get pretty inspired when Sammy hands them a blank check.

Picture this... 8" casing set 12 feet in the ground. The pipe across the gap is 6" drill stem with another piece of 8" slipped over it. 4" vertical bars with another piece of 8" on the bottom sealed up so it will float. 2 1/2 horizontal bars close enough together so the x0000 dollar buck can't get out. Of course the creek bottom is leveled and cemented over so it can't wash out. Add a few of these to the 10-15 miles of high fence and the goverment picks up about 80% of the tab. I can show you bunches of these type places. One is 35 sections and runs 20 old cows on it. The owner is there maybe a total of 2 months a year. The rest of the time he's chasing his formula 1 race cars around the world. The three place I look after have cows only to pay the taxes and my cost of operation but they are all closed to outside hunters. Only the owners and their buddies. The taxes are split between the livestock and wildlife exemptions. The only crops they raise is a few two and three acre oat patches in the fall.

Sorry this turned into a rant.Z

Latest posts