How do you get rid of duck weed on your pond?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
The duck weed is coming back on my pond. I don't want to look at it all summer and spring again. Any suggestions?

Could try using bluestone (copper sulphate). Works pretty well on algae, but not sure about duckweed.

Read a neat article once about putting a straw bale into dugouts. Supposed to help clean up the water, but we've never given it a go ourselves.

Okay, was killing time till next check on the cow that's just started calving, and found this link for controlling plant growth in ponds and dugouts, so I've added it.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... /agdex2637

Hope it helps you out, Pharmer.

Take care.

We've had the same problems with duck weed on our pond and oxbow lake for the past few years now. Annie is right, copper sulphate is the best stuff to use, but it's really expensive. The duck weed has been worse the past few years because of a lack of really cold winters to kill it off each year. (last real winter we had here was back in 2000)

Caustic Burno":7o1wghqd said:
Them screwed up ducks that stand straight up will clean it up.
Can't remember the name.
Do you mean when they are standing on their feet or standing on their heads? :lol: Indian Runners are what your thinking of maybe?

Copper sulfate is not very effective on duckweed. You have three choices:
1. Use grass carp (if legal in your state) Biological control but may take a year or so.
2. Diquat (Reward is a trade Name)
3. Just live with it.

Pharmer, I live in sw Missouri, so I my situation might not be too different from yours. I have alot of duckweed problem, also. If the pond is spring fed, the easiest way to control the duckweed is to put crawdads in the pond. They eat anything in that pond and will keep all the duckweed out. I have crawdads in all my spring fed ponds and I have plenty of fish bait and no duckweed. Crawdads do not live in my ponds that arent springfed and they are full of duckweed. I havent got that solution, yet

No dj got it, was Indian Runners never seen anything clean a pond like they did. My ponds were getting over run and the hateful little ducks( make good coyote turds) cleaned the ponds up.

I had a bad duckweed problem, could't get a lure through at all, I put in a couple of grass carp most of the weed is cleared, and at this time of the day, they are at the surface chomping away!

I had a bad problem with it also. I had a fish expert come out and we tried several things. The Reward is your best bet. BEWARE do NOT spray the whole pond. do it in sections and wait the reccomended time in between sprayings. Use a spray rig ans spray it in thirds or fourths. It takes the oxygen out of the water and this kills the duckweed. It also will kill your fish if you do the whole pond at once. I did this and haven't had a peroblem since.

Latest posts