Do red hides get discounted?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm personally not well enough educated on the finer details of the science to argue any one way or another, nor do I care about the subject matter greatly. That said, if you are positive one way or another that you're right and everyone else is wrong, why persist? Why not just say pi$$ on it and walk away?
If you don't care about the discussion why continue to post,why not walk away.
I am trying to understand different points of view and what is the scientific basis ,if any for their claims.
Still waiting for Warren Allison's scientific basis for his claim of white pigment in cattle and horses . But he would rather attack me personally than back up his claims with research.
Still trying to understand Simmi valleys claims that some coat color variations are "normal" and some are "mutations"
Still trying to understand travlr claims that white light is the absence of all color.
Trying to understand different points of view and what is the basis of their point of view . But some would rather say I am in la la land, high or attack me personally then explain their point of view and support it with documentation.

Still trying to understand travlr claims that white light is the absence of all color.
In art... white and black are not considered to be colors. I'm not conversant in the factors involved in hair, melanin, or whatever is involved in those kinds of color discussions.

In the overall journey of life, this topic ain't really important enough to get things in a wad. A kindergarten level of color understanding is really enough to live a long productive enjoyable life. Rumor is that there will be no color questions on our final test. Might be better if everyone were colorblind. Like the cows we are discussing.

I don't think anybody's too cut up about it. My wife is an artist and I love getting her goat when she goes on about this kind of thing (what is light, what is color, how we perceive it, etc) by saying that it doesn't matter because if I want to know what a color is then it's on the paint tube or the paint can, and if I open it and look, it will appear to be that color and therefore it is. I make road trips fun.

In the overall journey of life, this topic ain't really important enough to get things in a wad. A kindergarten level of color understanding is really enough to live a long productive enjoyable life. Rumor is that there will be no color questions on our final test. Might be better if everyone were colorblind. Like the cows we are discussing.
Is the science set on cattle being colorblind? People thought that about deer for years and it ended up not being factual.

And I thought this forum was about discussing cattle not religion .
Is the science set on cattle being colorblind? People thought that about deer for years and it ended up not being factual.
Regardless of what Simme and others claim. The current science says that while cattle don't see color as we do the are not completely color blind. They have no red receptors . So they perceive red as brown and also have trouble with green. But no they do not see the world in black and white

Regardless of what Simme and others claim. The current science says that while cattle don't see color as we do the are not completely color blind. They have no red receptors . So they perceive red as brown and also have trouble with green. But no they do not see the world in black and white.
That tracks. Probably kind of similar to deer, probably for similar reasons.

I'm personally not well enough educated on the finer details of the science to argue any one way or another, nor do I care about the subject matter greatly. That said, if you are positive one way or another that you're right and everyone else is wrong, why persist? Why not just say pi$$ on it and walk away?
It's a poor frog that won't praise his own pond…

Yes, there is a condition found in "white" animals. albinism. Albinos are not "white" per se....there are absent of any pigment, skin as well as hair. And there ARE white animals. Their hair has white pigment,
Still waiting for old warren to defend his position on this . And any scientific research to support his opinion that contradicts the three that I posted proving him incorrect. But most likely won't get a response because he just posts La la land totally inaccurate bull 💩. And when pointed out that his opinion isn't supported by science he then he attacks the person who points out he is wrong. Then runs and hides in a corner rather then accept let alone admit the fact that the 💩he posts isn't supported by facts or scientific research.

The only mammals that see color are the primates, like us.
Once again your claims are from la la land and aren't supported by science.not only can most mammals see some form of color.
Most South American primates can't see the color red. So the colors they can see is closer to what colors cattle can see then the colors most humans cans see.

Last edited:
The only mammals that see color are the primates, like us. All other mammals see very well at night. You trade color vision for night vision. Look up roods and cones.
I read that deer see a limited spectrum of color, not bright ones, but have some ability to pick up some stuff of the UV spectrum. I never worry about it because I always flush my washer before I wash hunting clothes anyway to get rid of the scent, so I never worry about the dyes either. After their initial wash for the season they go into scent bags until I'm done using them or until they're all bloodied up. I take none of these precautions when hunting hogs because when hunting hogs I always cheat.

I read that deer see a limited spectrum of color, not bright ones, but have some ability to pick up some stuff of the UV spectrum. I never worry about it because I always flush my washer before I wash hunting clothes anyway to get rid of the scent, so I never worry about the dyes either. After their initial wash for the season they go into scent bags until I'm done using them or until they're all bloodied up. I take none of these precautions when hunting hogs because when hunting hogs I always cheat.
Other mammals see various shades or grey and mostly blue. When you are scuba diving, the colors disapear as you go deeper. At about 40' the red is gone, etc, on the down the spectrum and if you get about 60 feet, it is all like black and white TV except for the blues. Might have the exact depths wrong, it has been over 30 years since I dove. I always liked night diving on a reef because you carry your light with you, and you get to see all the colors.

I just wasted 30 minutes…..

randyalexander, to my knowledge, these were the highest selling calves for their weight in our province this fall. They aren't all black!

Attachments

• 3D4C7DE7-2504-488B-97FD-CFDF6C25C292.jpeg
    3D4C7DE7-2504-488B-97FD-CFDF6C25C292.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 23
I just wasted 30 minutes…..

randyalexander, to my knowledge, these were the highest selling calves for their weight in our province this fall. They aren't all black!
Now that's not really fair, comparing how calves sell in Canada to how they sell in the US. I hear Canadians are still capable of critical thought...

(sarcasm, humor, for those of you that might wonder)

Latest posts