Tanning hides

Help Support CattleToday:

I can make sandals with old tire tread and twine but that does not qualify me as a '' shoemaker''.
I never claimed to be anything other than a redneck who does up hides. If somebody wants to do it another way, or wants to pay somebody who does this for a day job, they can and I never said not to. I just posted how I do it for people who can't or won't, and posted more than one way on top of that to give folks an option. It's all a choice, this is a free country. I'm just trying to put another tool in somebody's toolbelt. If you have your own way, post it, that would be a lot more constructive than braying like a jackass.

I never claimed to be anything other than a redneck who does up hides. If somebody wants to do it another way, or wants to pay somebody who does this for a day job, they can and I never said not to. I just posted how I do it for people who can't or won't, and posted more than one way on top of that to give folks an option. It's all a choice, this is a free country. I'm just trying to put another tool in somebody's toolbelt. If you have your own way, post it, that would be a lot more constructive than braying like a jackass.
Wasn't nothing in your lesson on tanning about chewing on the hide.... everyone knows you gotta " chew on it"....

I don't know. Your the expert.
If you're referring to the native American process, I always heard the chewing part was made up and that they just scraped and chipped them same as now. Some people tumble hides, but I don't have the setup. I'm no expert, just a redneck hobbyist. I keep them to remember fun trips or to give as gifts or make into something useful. I've got a tobacco pouch I made and I'll have a satchel out of this year's buck if my wife ever makes it.

If you're referring to the native American process, I always heard the chewing part was made up and that they just scraped and chipped them same as now. Some people tumble hides, but I don't have the setup. I'm no expert, just a redneck hobbyist. I keep them to remember fun trips or to give as gifts or make into something useful. I've got a tobacco pouch I made and I'll have a satchel out of this year's buck if my wife ever makes it.
We had some guys from some college out here when I was a kid looking at our Indian mounds. I remember him saying when they found actual skulls they could sex the Paleo era people by the teeth. The females would have very worn teeth even at young ages. From chewing hide's. But what did they know.

We had some guys from some college out here when I was a kid looking at our Indian mounds. I remember him saying when they found actual skulls they could sex the Paleo era people by the teeth. The females would have very worn teeth even at young ages. From chewing hide's. But what did they know.
All I'm saying is what I was told, I'm not exactly a historian on various native groups. There's probably all kinds of things that could have caused tooth wear in the lifestyle.

Just looked at two articles just now. One said some did and one said most didn't, I leave it to whomever knows.

"Wooden pegs or frames were often used to stretch a hide for cleaning, to stretch and soften, and later to dry and smoke. Pumice, mussel shells, and turtle shells were some of the tools traditionally used to stretch and soften hides. However, some Native Americans also chewed on hides to soften them."

"Indian women did not soften leather by chewing it. Soft and pliable leathers were prepared by chipping or shaving the hide using a stone or steel scraper prior to tanning the leather to thin the skin."

"Wooden pegs or frames were often used to stretch a hide for cleaning, to stretch and soften, and later to dry and smoke. Pumice, mussel shells, and turtle shells were some of the tools traditionally used to stretch and soften hides. However, some Native Americans also chewed on hides to soften them."

"Indian women did not soften leather by chewing it. Soft and pliable leathers were prepared by chipping or shaving the hide using a stone or steel scraper prior to tanning the leather to thin the skin."
One of you should just call Elizabeth Warren and settle the 'chewing issue' once and for all. Enough of this childish wrangling.

Preserving a skin that ends up a stiff board that may or may not deteriorate in the next 10 years is in no way the same thing as tanning a hide, turning it I to a soft piece of leather that will last a lifetime. One can be done by anyone with a bucket, the other MUST be done at a tannery unless you happen to have the time or equipment to break them until soft and pliable. I don't know of anyone with either. Regardless, theres nothing wrong with trying preserve a skin with DA. But you aren't tanning it and can lead someone down a disappointing path by suggesting they can easily make a cow skin rug with DA. Thats not what they'll wnd up with.

Preserving a skin that ends up a stiff board that may or may not deteriorate in the next 10 years is in no way the same thing as tanning a hide, turning it I to a soft piece of leather that will last a lifetime. One can be done by anyone with a bucket, the other MUST be done at a tannery unless you happen to have the time or equipment to break them until soft and pliable. I don't know of anyone with either. Regardless, theres nothing wrong with trying preserve a skin with DA. But you aren't tanning it and can lead someone down a disappointing path by suggesting they can easily make a cow skin rug with DA. Thats not what they'll wnd up with.
If you wrench and oil it and stretch it for a few cycles, it can be pretty darn soft, bud. More than good enough for a rug or throw piece. Never had one dry out much after felt backing either. Look, you do your thing and I'll do mine.

If you wrench and oil it and stretch it for a few cycles, it can be pretty darn soft, bud. More than good enough for a rug or throw piece. Never had one dry out much after felt backing either. Look, you do your thing and I'll do mine.
LOL

You've very obviously never worked with cow hide. Carry on.

When I was a teen boy I tanned several cow hides for my Dad and an elk hide for my Uncle. I did the cow hides without hair and the elk hides with hair. I did several coyotes, fox, bobcat, mink and other animals first. I ordered supplies from Van Dykes. I looked at their site, but can't find the kit I used for the cows. I thought it had chromium in it. They do have this now, which seems interesting and like it might work on a cow hide (might want to order a few kits for a cow hide): https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/DSKD-P11377.aspx

Most of the steps given by @50/50Farms are the same as I used. The solution is different, but there are many ways to tan a hide. The solution I used was water based. I used a stock tank to tan the hides. Then drug them out onto the stretching rack - which was mostly made of plywood. The hides get really heavy and hard to work with when wet - so tan them where you want to dry and stretch or have a way to get a loader tractor in there. After stretching and drying, I found oiling and "breaking" them over a board fence worked pretty well. Get someone to help and pull it back and forth. I am sure there are better ways, but I was working with what I had access to;)

My parents had a lot of experience tanning hides. Dad had the habit of swinging the hides in a circle, just as if slinging a cat. He would smack the hides with limb of sumac. As the sumac made contact with the hide, the hide would spin faster and faster until it was tenderized, or centrifugal force became more than he could manage.

For denatured alcohol, get a drum or tub of appropriate size. You need a 1-1 mixture of denatured alcohol and water. Soak for 24-36 hours and check, sometimes depending on hide you will repeat this a few times.
Wow, that would be a lot of denatured alcohol to fill a drum for a cow hide. Where do you even get that much in bulk?
Also, soaking the hide....... is it going to make the hair fall out?

I actually believe it was the tannery in Edmonton. I have a hunch that when taxidermists are involved the rates go up because they feel that people getting taxidermy work done can afford it. That's just my theory though.
I inquired. 600 down as deposit, 22 per square foot. Add this and that if they have to flesh it etc.
Yes labour is expensive, but holy........ that's a lot of money to get one's hide back.
As per buying one cheaper at a store........ I've looked at hides whenever I come across one at a store/farm store. Some have such a strong industrial smell, there is no way I would want to take that home.