How do I get into your shoes(boots)?

Help Support CattleToday:

james.dyer

Reaction score
I am a young man that separated from the U.S. Navy several years ago. Since then I have spent my time caring for the sick and injured as a 911 paramedic in Houston, Texas. My dream since childhood has always been to be a rancher. Unfortunately, I have next to zero reference and guidance on how to get there. I work as a "hand" on my uncle's ranch from time to time. I first started as a very young boy, doing simple chores for the sheer satisfaction of being on the property. Since then, I have graduated to working a tractor for 14 hours a day, 4-6 days in a row, once a year during haying. My uncle has around 300 head on about 1,800 acres. Sounds like a perfect resource, but knowing old ranchers like y'all do, he continuously just tells me that it is not something I want to do and to get over it.... I love the man to death, but he is wrong....

I am hoping that somebody on this forum can help point me in the right direction. My time in the military taught me hard work, dedication, selflessness, loyalty, and perseverance, all qualities I would bring to anybody willing to help me out. I live near Houston, have a wife and kids, so unfortunately I can not pack up and head out full time on a ranch somewhere and learn the trade properly. But, if there are any ranchers near Houston that would be wiling to show me a few things, I would be forever grateful. If not, a few words of advise are always appreciated. In return, I have hunted wild hogs professionally, and am quite skilled at predator control, so in return for advice or knowledge, I can help you with your coyotes and hogs, both of which can be more than a headache.... If this is the wrong spot on this forum for such a topic, or if it is against some sort of rule, I apologize. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forum. There are several members within an hour drive of Houston that I'm sure would be glad to help. I'm one of them, although my operation is pretty small so I don't know how much I could teach you. Where near Houston are you?

You can work and ranch both as most people do today to maintain benifits.
This is a journey you are about to embark on something like 90% of the cattlemen in Texas run 30 head. The biggest issue I see challenging you is where you want to locate your part time place, you are going to have get close to a 100 miles out of Houston to find a reasonable place. It can take a while to get everything set up and you are learning the whole time.
I live near Livingston it would amaze you at the people that commute to the coastal counties to work.
It is not easy never seen anything worth much in life that was.

Thanks for your service to the country. And starting a ranch without family land is next to impossible, especially if your going to make a living at it. The cost of everything is so expensive now a days, well besides the cattle. I can't see how anyone can do it. We started as a hobby second job and hopefully my son will take it over and make something out of it. I guess all I can say is good luck and get started, ASAP.

I like your attitude, If we were neighbors, I'd be glad to help you. I'm sure your uncles motives are genuine. That doesn't mean that you can't get in. It is just very hard to get in. Start small, and grow. It will take time.

You're going to have to invest some money (start slow here) and some time (make sure your family shares your vision). Money for land (buy or rent), cattle, basic handling equipment. Time for learning, working, and exposure. Make sure you have a good support system that understands and shares your dream. It's a lot of time and it feels like you're spinning your wheels for a few years, but if you keep the pencil sharp, you can get things going. You want to get to the point where the cows cover their own expenses- and hopefully put a few bucks in your billfold too. Good Luck, welcome and thank you for your service.

When I was fresh out of school in the early 70's people said you just can't make it work. There were people who went against the advise and made it work back then and you can do it now. It won't be easy but it can be done.

If you can find land with payments low enough for cows to make payments, you can edge by. Build equity in the land but no income or very little. Keeping a cow has expenses. The more cows you have the more you can share expenses amongst them for things like bulls, working pens, and maintenance costs.

Lots of it is "danged if you do and then danged if you don't". What might work this year can bite you in the tail next. There are no sure bets. But good judgment comes from experience. You can get some experience working with your uncle.

Swallow an elephant one bite at a time.

backhoeboogie":5u7whuj9 said:
If you can find land with payments low enough for cows to make payments, you can edge by. Build equity in the land but no income or very little. Keeping a cow has expenses. The more cows you have the more you can share expenses amongst them for things like bulls, working pens, and maintenance costs.

Lots of it is "danged if you do and then danged if you don't". What might work this year can bite you in the tail next. There are no sure bets. But good judgment comes from experience. You can get some experience working with your uncle.

Swallow an elephant one bite at a time.
The land is still reasonable in Polk, Angelina, Trinity and Tyler counties as long as you stay away from the lakes

I haven't looked at it in years, but Texas Veterans land Board used to have a forfeited land listing--properties formerly financed by TVLB that the previous borrowers had defaulted on. A listing used to be available by mail, but I assume they have web base listings now.
TVLB also finances land purchases for Texas veterans, up to $125K. That won't buy much land nowadays, but it will help.
I believe they want 5% down payment--dunno what int rate it was. 30 yr payout.

Rafter S":b0vmrplc said:
Welcome to the forum. There are several members within an hour drive of Houston that I'm sure would be glad to help. I'm one of them, although my operation is pretty small so I don't know how much I could teach you. Where near Houston are you?

I currently rent a house in Humble. I am in the process of using the VA loan to buy a house though. I am looking for a place that has at least 5 acres on it, and is within an hour of the Houston area. There are actually quite a few options within my price range (250k). Hopefully something is still there come October when it's time to pull the trigger.

Caustic Burno":3koqf197 said:
This is a journey you are about to embark on something like 90% of the cattlemen in Texas run 30 head. The biggest issue I see challenging you is where you want to locate your part time place, you are going to have get close to a 100 miles out of Houston to find a reasonable place. It can take a while to get everything set up and you are learning the whole time.
I live near Livingston it would amaze you at the people that commute to the coastal counties to work.

Ive been looking mostly out towards Winnie. Off I10 between Houston and Beaumont seems to be a good option. I use to drive from Galveston, into Houston for work. Moved to Humble and am not a fan at all. I would rather make the extra drive. Everywhere needs paramedics though, so I can pretty much go wherever the best place is

greybeard":3ne80k3x said:
I haven't looked at it in years, but Texas Veterans land Board used to have a forfeited land listing--properties formerly financed by TVLB that the previous borrowers had defaulted on. A listing used to be available by mail, but I assume they have web base listings now.
TVLB also finances land purchases for Texas veterans, up to $125K. That won't buy much land nowadays, but it will help.
I believe they want 5% down payment--dunno what int rate it was. 30 yr payout.

They do have a website that shows all the properties, a few pics of each, and general info. It's a great recourse, and one I plan on using. Most of the land that looks like it is anything better than dried up shrubs is pretty pricey, so you're right, the 125 doesn't go very far. To what extent is quality better than quantity when it comes to cattle? You currently can get 2 acres for 85k in Bandera, or 202 acres for 55k on the mexico border, west of del rio

I am blown away by the responses, thank you! I was curious on what everybody's opinion is concerning where the land for the cattle would be in relation to your home. I am currently in the process of buying a house, and naturally, I am looking for a place with as much land as possible(at least 5 acres just to start out). I can find a home on 5-10 acres relatively easy here in south east texas, but the homes are usually small and old. Or, I can buy a nice, new house in a neighborhood, and just try to buy a separate tract of land off a good hour or two away....

james.dyer":12ghfkln said:
Caustic Burno":12ghfkln said:

Ive been looking mostly out towards Winnie. Off I10 between Houston and Beaumont seems to be a good option. I use to drive from Galveston, into Houston for work. Moved to Humble and am not a fan at all. I would rather make the extra drive. Everywhere needs paramedics though, so I can pretty much go wherever the best place is
Played in that country quite a bit in my formative years besides an occasional skeeter not bad. I have actually seen the cows standing in the bay up to their head to get some relief.
Hwy 90 between Houston and Beaumont would be good as well

james.dyer":14qwr672 said:
Caustic Burno":14qwr672 said:

You maybe hit the nail on that. You might want to move to cheaper land..

I'm northwest of Houston, and don't know anything about the country south and east of there, so I won't be much help. But if you're ever around me stop by and say hello.

I would think you'd need to live on the farm and make house payments towards the property myself. In a small ranching operation you need to be hands on and check on your cattle daily. I'd rather have the land and live in a trailer, than a nice house in town.

Latest posts