How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

7 hours clearing brush with a chainsaw yesterday...got up to about 105 degrees...not a drop of rain in sight...at least another week of 100+...sigh...weather.com says chance of rain in the 20% range on the 25th through the 28th...not confident...42% chance on Sept. 3...we'll see...south Texas should be getting some rain today unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to make it up here...sigh again
WE're not far from you and we desperately need some rain

Yesterday, the sky filled with clouds by a pretty nice East/SE wind that had a definite tropical 'feel' to it. I actually thought we might get some rain when the clouds turned darker around 5pm but not so. This morning, mostly clear, calm, hot and MUGGY!

@MurraysMutts do horse people actually feed the johnson grass to their horses there? Here, it is not even considered.. they won't buy hay with johnson grass in it. Ours looks about like that.. and the cows do good on it. We have it invading some of the orchard grass fields... we will usually roll the outside 2 windrows if there is much in it, then sq bale the good stuff for sale to the horse customers. But the darned stuff will take over if you aren't careful.

we have been getting a little rain now and then. hay field is green again but nor growing much but at least I'll be able to turn the cattle out there next month to clean up the growth we got. area corn and beans really took off after a recent rain of about an inch so thats good for crop farmers here.

@MurraysMutts do horse people actually feed the johnson grass to their horses there? Here, it is not even considered.. they won't buy hay with johnson grass in it. Ours looks about like that.. and the cows do good on it. We have it invading some of the orchard grass fields... we will usually roll the outside 2 windrows if there is much in it, then sq bale the good stuff for sale to the horse customers. But the darned stuff will take over if you aren't careful.
The real "horsey people" will not!!
Only the finest Bermuda for them!

Neighbor down the road keeps horses. They are some of the pickiest people I know when it comes to hay! He's constantly spraying, fertilizing, walking around the pasture pulling "undesirable" plants.
He's got a pretty nice pasture. I asked if he was gonna cut it again (2nd cutting) and his reply was....
It's not very good. I don't think so.

I just don't get it. Cut it on the shares. Sell the unneeded hay and make a dollar or two. I can't imagine putting all that time, money and effort into making such a nice hay pasture and only cutting it once a year!!

Neighbor down the road keeps horses. They are some of the pickiest people I know when it comes to hay! He's constantly spraying, fertilizing, walking around the pasture pulling "undesirable" plants.
He's got a pretty nice pasture. I asked if he was gonna cut it again (2nd cutting) and his reply was....

I just don't get it. Cut it on the shares. Sell the unneeded hay and make a dollar or two. I can't imagine putting all that time, money and effort into making such a nice hay pasture and only cutting it once a year!!
Sure would like to cut mine this year

I don't blame him. I'd burn the hole field to not listen to one of them. 😄

Our cold season grass is about gone. We have 3 bottom land pastures. I own 3 animal units (my dairy stock without calves, and a horse and a pony which amounts to one unit). The ranch across the road has historically put 7 cows on this place, their best breeding stock plus a bull. Because of the tremendous amount of rain this year there was a lot of native cool season grass growth. They put 9 fat cull cows over here, including mine thats 12 animal units. Pasture 1 and 2 are grazed off to the ground, pasture 3 they went over there and trampled the tall coarse grass down to the ground. I've separated my stock into pasture 1 and feed them hay. One of those old cull cows produced a heifer calf months ago and is still half the size she should be. I have never seen such horrible udders. I guess they are keeping the cull cows as sort of a bank account. These people are our friends we really like, don't know how to bring this up. My grass is gone, I'm already feeding hay and grain when this should start in the winter.

Another thing-- our spring water drinking suppy comes off their mountain. We pump river water for irrigation and the stock including their stock. The cows have drank two pools in our live creek dry. The ranch across the road has historicly fed their cattle hay every day over here. But it will be a while before these fat cull cows start loosing weight and need to be fed.

So why in the he//'s name don';t they sell the CULL COWS now ???? We have shipped every cull we have... opens and all except for a couple with calves that will go in the fall... and we have grass... just moved them to a place that we bush hogged off that has had NOTHING on it before last week... they will do good on it... bush hogged it real high to get the tops/weeds/seed heads... grass was very thick... and when it gets down, they will go....
There will be no bank account if the market prices start to fall or the cows lose weight...

Friends or not, if it is your land you need to broach this subject with them....

Latest posts