How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a patch of ryegrass that was planted late - it was primarily planted as a cover crop in my pumpkin field. I decided to let my wife's sheep graze it. I've got about 45 acres of it that I planted about 5 weeks before this. It's about 8" higher (34" average). As soon as the weather breaks, it's getting mowed. I just wish my perennial grass hayfields would thicken up. They look very sparse this year.

Attachments

• 84C63E22-1CF5-4F40-8A13-99C8DF97D6FE.jpeg
    84C63E22-1CF5-4F40-8A13-99C8DF97D6FE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
This is a patch of ryegrass that was planted late - it was primarily planted as a cover crop in my pumpkin field. I decided to let my wife's sheep graze it. I've got about 45 acres of it that I planted about 5 weeks before this. It's about 8" higher (34" average). As soon as the weather breaks, it's getting mowed. I just wish my perennial grass hayfields would thicken up. They look very sparse this year.
That's a beautiful sight. Wow.

East Central MO. I would agree that I can't remember a year with grass being this bad first of May. It's been dry and colder so far. Looks like next week the pattern is changing a little bit warmer and have some rain chances again. I usually keep my fall calves until August. Selling them this Monday due to grass being about a month behind. Started creating a cull list of my good producing cows in case we don't get much rain in the month of May.

Put some replacement heifers down on a river bottom field we haven't grazed in a while since we replanted half of it this past September. They look happy if you can find them!!!

IMG_3940-XL.jpg

Strange year for sure. We are getting a little grass growth but well behind normal. Usually by now pastures have lost that emerald green look and begin to look a little woolly from heading out and various weeds.
Cattle have been grazing so hard that the fields still have that early spring look.
Growth on the calves has been really good and the cows are holding or improving condition.
Could this be keeping the grass in a vegetative stage and actually improving performance?
I just hope it does not turn to a hot dry summer because roots are not going deep under these conditions,

Strange year for sure. We are getting a little grass growth but well behind normal. Usually by now pastures have lost that emerald green look and begin to look a little woolly from heading out and various weeds.
Cattle have been grazing so hard that the fields still have that early spring look.
Growth on the calves has been really good and the cows are holding or improving condition.
Could this be keeping the grass in a vegetative stage and actually improving performance?
I just hope it does not turn to a hot dry summer because roots are not going deep under these conditions,
my cattle grazed the pasture and the hay field real low last fall to December when it snowed. starting to show green now, but we need rain. two weeks ago, we still had a couple inches of snow on the ground, but its gone now except for the piles.

We've had a week of rain and cold temps. Thankful for the rain, but too cold for the grass to use it.

The grass does look better, but not where it shoudl be. 12" orchard grass and smooth brome is heading out, but not thick at all. Cows are eating between the seed heads.

Sounds about like what we are seeing as well. If it all seeds out and is short I am thinking it might have to get mowed so it regrows. If rain doesn't come though then mowing it wouldn't make sense

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Not really related to grass, but it's a little weird for us. We have a big crab apple tree that has hoards of bees in it when it blooms every year... except this year. The tree is in full bloom and the noise from bees is usually loud standing under it. There are no bees this year at all. I went out and stood under the tree for several minutes and saw none.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Not really related to grass, but it's a little weird for us. We have a big crab apple tree that has hoards of bees in it when it blooms every year... except this year. The tree is in full bloom and the noise from bees is usually loud standing under it. There are no bees this year at all. I went out and stood under the tree for several minutes and saw none.
Lots of wild hives here didnt make it through the winter. Not a bad winter so not sure if its mites or what else it could be.

I read that the drought had an effect on bee population in areas. not sure if it was from the lack of blooming flowers or water or both. even the monarch butterflies were fewer last year.

I read that the drought had an effect on bee population in areas. not sure if it was from the lack of blooming flowers or water or both. even the monarch butterflies were fewer last year.
I'm betting that my kids will see the end of Monarch butterflies. Who knows, maybe I will outlive them. All the apple tress are in full bloom and no bees. Gonna have very few apples this year.

Latest posts