How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a neighbor kid that works for us part time; he's been scraping/digging out the (former) pond that is now completely dry in the east 80. And you can see some of the pasture in the background. That's some dry, nasty pasture with just a touch of green at the roots. I envy you with lush, green grass!!! (and so do my cattle)

1681596586540.jpeg

The last two months have seen temperatures between 5 and 10 degrees below normal. The grass is way behind where it should normally be now, but we are running out of hay so the cows will go out on grass in a couple days anyway. It has rained or snowed almost every day since mid February and the sun has only peaked out a few times, which doesn't help to raise the temperature or encourage the grass to grow. I should be happy after the drought we have experienced over the last years, but that drought helped to damage the roots of the grasses, so the mud is worse than I've ever seen it. We had some sunshine and temperatures in the 60's for the last two days and I started to feel encouraged that maybe we might start growing some grass. We drove the RTV out into one of the lower pastures to check grass growth and this is what we saw. I could count over 50 elk in this group. I have been cutting the numbers of cows because of drought, but it looks like we will need to cut even deeper. We lived here almost 30 years before ever seeing an elk on the place, but in 2020 the Archie Creek fire burned 131,580 acres just to the east and that seemed to have moved the elk down onto the ranches in the valley. Now in addition to a healthy deer population we are competing with them for grazing. The temperatures are projected to drop back into the low 30's at night and maybe hit low 50's in the day next week. Very depressing.

391ACBD7-3144-4096-945A-972AEBB767C0_1_105_c.jpeg

Yesterday I was running some poly fence to give the cattle and sheep a new grazing strip. I'm still feeding hay for th ebulk of their feed while giving them small strips. I saw some orchard grass that was about 12in tall that is pushing heads already. I'm guessing it's some leftover of the old orchard grass planted long ago. Majority of the pastures and the hay fields have improved late heading varieties and they seem to be doing better.

We got some decent rain on saturday finally. The grass grew a couple inches, but still behind for such a nice spring.

Grass? Epic drought, going on the 2nd year. Pond in the west 80 is completely dry, just a little left in the other ponds. Stopped putting out bales last week and my poor cows are grubbing whatever they can find but still supplementing with cubes. Praying for rain!!!
when i see how bad you all in Kansas have it and have for a couple years, I cant even comment on my problems. mine are minimal compared to many others.

The last two months have seen temperatures between 5 and 10 degrees below normal. The grass is way behind where it should normally be now, but we are running out of hay so the cows will go out on grass in a couple days anyway. It has rained or snowed almost every day since mid February and the sun has only peaked out a few times, which doesn't help to raise the temperature or encourage the grass to grow. I should be happy after the drought we have experienced over the last years, but that drought helped to damage the roots of the grasses, so the mud is worse than I've ever seen it. We had some sunshine and temperatures in the 60's for the last two days and I started to feel encouraged that maybe we might start growing some grass. We drove the RTV out into one of the lower pastures to check grass growth and this is what we saw. I could count over 50 elk in this group. I have been cutting the numbers of cows because of drought, but it looks like we will need to cut even deeper. We lived here almost 30 years before ever seeing an elk on the place, but in 2020 the Archie Creek fire burned 131,580 acres just to the east and that seemed to have moved the elk down onto the ranches in the valley. Now in addition to a healthy deer population we are competing with them for grazing. The temperatures are projected to drop back into the low 30's at night and maybe hit low 50's in the day next week. Very depressing.
Do you have an elk hunting season? Can you get damage permits like we do here in Va for the deer????

Do you have an elk hunting season? Can you get damage permits like we do here in Va for the deer????
We do have an elk season. There is a lottery to get a license. I'm not sure when the season is, but I know we can't hunt them right now. We have a friend who is a Hunting and Fishing Guide and he pays us to hunt Turkey and Deer. He knows the elk are here now, but they come and go from ranch to ranch, so no guarantee they will be in the area when he has a hunter, or that they will win the elk lottery. I believe there are also damage permits available. I imagine our guide will contact us if he wants us to pursue that. He pays us a set yearly fee to bring in hunters, plus additional money depending on what he harvests. It is much more profitable then raising cattle, when you figure dollars earned per hour of labor. I guess you might say that about most any other business. ;)

Going to take the chance on baling the rye grass. Two hay pastures are just thick with it. Let the cows graze on one pasture for a week or two but they didn't put a huge dent in it - noticeable but not huge. The other hasn't had cows on it and it is just insane...can't see letting it just die. We'll bale it and if we need it, we'll have it...if we don't need it, we can sell it (here rye grass round bales go for about $50 - $60 each). Here's hoping for a little dry weather to help it cure once it's cut. Not happening this week, though...rain in the forecast.

We're already clipping it cause it's growing so fast:ROFLMAO:28DA66CE-ECA0-4D6E-A803-D94962D6D1FB.jpeg

It seems like a waste of grass that the cattle could be eating, but it wasn't enough to make hay.

It's because of my youngest daughter getting married in three weeks. I was voted off the island a couple years ago when the chicken litter was delivered two weeks before my older daughters wedding.

They laughed it off and we wore our muck boots, but they stripped me from my position of power on this wedding.

The good part is, I get to follow strict orders, no chance of a mistake, and I get to watch that sexy Grammy on the tractor wearing her Minnie Pearl hat.

After last year drought in the summer and fall, and then the brutal cold spell at Christmas, I'm surprised at how good the grass has come on. I ran out of hay first week of March. The grass started to green and I am under stocked, so I was lucky.

By July last year, I had a mess of undesirable plants encroaching. I've always used chemical weed eater on the perimeter fences and certain other areas, but I've never sprayed an entire field.

Drought changes things and introduces new plants. I've managed the forage thus far with pH balance and nutrient. After the last 10 months, I'm changing my tune. Nothing against chemical methods, I've just never needed it.

I'm thinking I will spray soon.

Latest posts