How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a huge old ancient apricot tree in my back yard. Great apricots, the size of peaches and delicious. Most years it blooms too early and the frost gets it. It is later this year I think because of the weather. In full bloom now with lots of bees and no frost in sight. There will be a ton of apricots this summer.

P4293087.JPG

Fescue is still slow here. Been too cold but soil conditions are right, I finished planting corn today. Started April 26.

Wet baled and wrapped roughly 18 acres of cereal rye yesterday. Made 56 5x5 bales which is more than I expected. I only sowed 40 pounds per acre last fall for a cover crop, wasn't planning to bale then. Normally sow 75-100# for hay. Should be good feed, it was just beginning to make a head.

Geez...not sure about anyone else but we got one of those yehaw storms about 1:00 this morning...at least 4 trees to cut off of fences...and that's just what I can see from the house...serious wind, thunder, lightening, thought I heard a little hail, & had some rain...all of that tall rye grass was laying down this morning...I usually sleep like a baby during storms but this even woke me up...

According to the hourly forecast on AccuWeather yesterday, we were supposed to get up to .5". We got just enough of a sprinkle to make the pavement wet - for about 5 minutes. Da hell?!?

According to the hourly forecast on AccuWeather yesterday, we were supposed to get up to .5". We got just enough of a sprinkle to make the pavement wet - for about 5 minutes. Da hell?!?
We get nice storms headed our way and they just fold up and quit a mile from our place. I need to quit watching the radar.

This is so crazy, but who knows….
I live about 10 miles from a commercial airport. About 15-20 years ago, they changed the direction of the takeoffs, now about 75% of the airplanes fly directly above my farm. Ever since they did that, it seems like most of the good rains literally split and go along the 2 ridges that border me. A neighbor swears it's because of the planes flying through the clouds and creating a "splitting effect". I used to laugh at him. Now, I do kind of wonder….

we got one inch of rain over the weekend and sunny days before that, so I can almost hear the grass growing! getting nice and green and should be able to turn out the cattle in a couple weeks.

One of my neighbors posted pics of their pond on Facebook today. That's what the pond in our east 80 looked like before we dug it out (in anticipation of a gully washer). We could really use all your prayers, thoughts, good juju, whatever. But it does look like a decent chance of rain later this week!!!
1683581606529.jpeg
1683581626102.jpeg

One of my neighbors posted pics of their pond on Facebook today. That's what the pond in our east 80 looked like before we dug it out (in anticipation of a gully washer). We could really use all your prayers, thoughts, good juju, whatever. But it does look like a decent chance of rain later this week!!!
View attachment 29830
View attachment 29831
Gotta be careful you don't fall into a crevass!

I think we busted the drought for a few weeks here. Over 3" for the week and still coming today. This is a huge hit for us in the 12-15" precip zone. I hope everyone else who needs it gets a good shot of rain soon, especially folks in Kansas as I think big parts are still missing out.

Latest posts